Mar 29, 2024, 05:36 AM

News:

Proudly established in 2010, still going!

[Gaming] Check out LEGO's Minecraft killer

Started by lioneatszebra, Jun 02, 2015, 12:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lioneatszebra

Check out LEGO's Minecraft killer
From Forbes

LEGO is increasingly taking its brick world into the digital age. And the toy company’s latest game could pose a real problem for Minecraft.

The Danish toy maker has unveiled LEGO Worlds, an open-environment game made entirely of LEGO bricks that can be freely manipulated, almost like a virtual LEGO set. Sound familiar? It should: media reports point out LEGO Worlds sounds a lot like Minecraft, now owned by Microsoft.

Interestingly, LEGO is debuting the game even though it’s still in development, meaning users can play now even if all the features aren’t included yet. LEGO says it wants users to play the game and offer feedback with the hope that developers can improve LEGO Worlds over time.

LEGO’s new game isn’t the first time a physical toy maker has followed the tech industry’s lead when it comes to innovation. Remember Zynga’s hit Words with Friends? That was essentially a knock off of Hasbro’s Scrabble. Toy companies haven’t historically been great at coming up with tech games on their own â€" instead, they tend to rely on partners with more expertise to effectively compete on video game and digital platforms.

Executives at LEGO have long contended their bread-and-butter will remain physical toys, like sets based on characters from films like Star Wars and Batman and original packages that play on broader themes like a fire department or a police station. While those sets are LEGO’s core focus, the company is showing it’s willing to expand its toy box a bit more in recent years. It came out with a hit film last year, while LEGO also partners with video game makers to produce games based on its brand, including a Skylanders-type game called “Dimensions,” which will hit store shelves this fall.
brb, living offline

Fire_Lord_Nero

I used to enjoy playing with lego back in the day, like actual bricks of lego, now its like digital, like wow. come on now

CoomyNine2

As a child, I loved to play with Lego, it was my biggest hobby. But for me, the company is moving into the digital world is a bit strange. After all, we are all used to seeing Lego in the form of a constructor that you can take from the shelf and play with. And about Minecraft, I think they should not worry. Minecraft is now actively developing, creating many interesting additional features. For example, my friend, a very big fan of Minecraft, said that he recently found one site, minecraft skyblock servers. Where did you find out that there is a particular site based on minecraft where you can create your world but already on a desert island. I think it's very cool.

hi735

Quote from: CoomyNine2 on Apr 07, 2022, 09:16 AMAs a child, I loved to play with Lego, it was my biggest hobby. But for me, the company is moving into the digital world is a bit strange. After all, we are all used to seeing Lego in the form of a constructor that you can take from the shelf and play with. And about Minecraft, I think they should not worry. Minecraft is now actively developing, creating many interesting additional features. For example, my friend, a very big fan of Minecraft, said that he recently found one site, minecraft skyblock servers. Where did you find out that there is a particular site based on minecraft where you can create your world but already on a desert island. I think it's very cool.
I couldn't agree more

AtomicPulse

Quote from: hi735 on Apr 07, 2022, 04:17 PM
Quote from: CoomyNine2 on Apr 07, 2022, 09:16 AMAs a child, I loved to play with Lego, it was my biggest hobby. But for me, the company is moving into the digital world is a bit strange. After all, we are all used to seeing Lego in the form of a constructor that you can take from the shelf and play with. And about Minecraft, I think they should not worry. Minecraft is now actively developing, creating many interesting additional features. For example, my friend, a very big fan of Minecraft, said that he recently found one site, minecraft skyblock servers. Where did you find out that there is a particular site based on minecraft where you can create your world but already on a desert island. I think it's very cool.
I couldn't agree more
Some inspirational words right there
BTeam Owner | Survival Admin | Creative JMod

Ex - Factions FMod | Prison Guard

ILoveCoughSyrup

CoomyNine2

Apr 08, 2022, 10:04 AM #6 Last Edit: Apr 12, 2022, 01:57 PM by CoomyNine2
As a child, I loved to play with Lego, it was my biggest hobby. But for me, the company is moving into the digital world is a bit strange. After all, we are all used to seeing Lego in the form of a constructor that you can take from the shelf and play with. And about Minecraft, I think they should not worry. Minecraft is now actively developing, creating many interesting additional features. For example, my friend, a very big fan of Minecraft, said that he recently found one site, minecraft skyblock servers. Where did you find out that there is a particular site based on minecraft where you can create your world but already on a desert island. I think it's very cool.