Mar 28, 2024, 12:38 PM

News:

Support us on Patreon and get exclusive perks!

Dealing with staff issues

Started by Towelie, Jul 25, 2015, 05:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towelie

Jul 25, 2015, 05:25 PM Last Edit: Jul 25, 2015, 06:12 PM by Towelie
As you guys know, I don't like discussing staff issues in public.
However, due to a number of complaints regarding the staff team, I have decided to take some actions.

Without giving you intimate details (as it's still confidential info), here's what is planned:

- Refreshing the Manager+ team. I will discuss with the inactive Managers+ and see if they wish to resign or make an effort to become active again  / then proceed to finding new Managers+ (in progress)
- Bring back MANDATORY events for the manager+ team including mandatory front page / weekend events
- Discuss with Scottmid and see what we can do to improve the evh team / get them to do more / more meaningful/fun events.
- Improve our staff training methods. Stini and the Managers+ will look into that.
- Add some fresh blood to the staff team (not via apply for staff, but via normal staff recomendations).

Special mentions: There have been complaints about a handful of JMods/Mods which were perceived as rude / unfriendly with players. I am a big believer in second chances, so before doing anything drastic such as demoting these staff members who give us their precious time, I will instead discuss with each and every one of them, make them aware of these issues if they aren't already, and ask them to work on those issues. Afterwards, we will closely monitor their progress.

Please, let me know what else is bothering you about Survival especially, whether it's staff related or not. Don't hesitate to name names / point fingers. It's the only way we can work on this efficiently.

Follow me on Instagram (i post cool stuff) https://www.instagram.com/toweliewtf/
Psst, got a Nintendo Switch? Add me -> SW-6574-1607-3796

iLaxrv10

Great post Towelie! I think its really great that you gathered and listened to everyones input and you and the entire Manager+ team are making an effort to fix it c:
Ex-Pixelmon Manager
Ex-Survival, Lost Islands, Pocket Edition Elder
Ex-WildWest, B-Team, Factions, Prison Owner

stormshooter

Quote from: Towelie on Jul 25, 2015, 05:25 PM- Refreshing the Manager+ team. I will discuss with the inactive Managers+ and see if they wish to resign or make an effort to become active again  / then proceed to finding new Managers+ (in
I've noticed no problem in the manager team. It's more mods / JMods most of us are concerned about.

Brightpkz

Jul 25, 2015, 05:46 PM #3 Last Edit: Jul 25, 2015, 06:22 PM by Brightpkz
Great post. And even though I am a staff, I must say, this was a very well needed post. Players of SFT basically idolizes our staff team, and therefore, our image as a team is important.

As a staff who's involved in both the old times and now, I must say as a team, we have significantly done worse. I would say that it's the whole team's fault because we are what we make ourselves to look like. And if one of us aren't doing well, it's all of us, we work as a team!

I must say, while my opinion doesn't matter nearly as much as the players', I personally see the JMod team needing the largest revamp. Most of our Mods are at least one year into staff, we know what we're doing. But sometimes, especially when I was a Legend, I saw a lot of inprofessionalism coming from the JMod team. It's not that I like bashing the fact that our staff team should be a family, but I just feel like it needs to be put out there. Some JMods do in fact do super duper well.

Once again, I myself have flaws. And no one is perfect. Hence why this post was needed, and the procedures introduced in this post was mandatory.

EDIT:

I'm not perfect myself either. I know I act arrogant and mean on the server and that I'm not necessarily the best Mod. But I'm here to help. I don't intend for anyone to be hurt by me, as far as I'm concerned, I'm an attention whore too. Everyone has their flaws, no one is perfect, but everyone has a reason of being, and thats God's intention, to make everyone different, so everyone has perfect imperfections.

Call me Bond. Bright Bond.
Elytra Creds to Cayko <33

stormshooter

Quote from: Brightpkz on Jul 25, 2015, 05:46 PMGreat post. And even though I am a staff, I must say, this was a very well needed post. Players of SFT basically idolizes our staff team, and therefore, our image as a team is important.

As a staff who's involved in both the old times and now, I must say as a team, we have significantly done worse. I would say that it's the whole team's fault because we are what we make ourselves to look like. And if one of us aren't doing well, it's all of us, we work as a team!

I must say, while my opinion doesn't matter nearly as much as the players', I personally see the JMod team needing the largest revamp. Most of our Mods are at least one year into staff, we know what we're doing. But sometimes, especially when I was a Legend, I saw a lot of inprofessionalism coming from the JMod team. It's not that I like bashing the fact that our staff team should be a family, but I just feel like it needs to be put out there. Some JMods do in fact do super duper well.

Once again, I myself have flaws. And no one is perfect. Hence why this post was needed, and the procedures introduced in this post was mandatory.
From the outside, I can assure you that the mods need just as much a revamp as JMods. Don't take this the wrong way bright, personally you're a great mod, but on the whole there are large issues in JMods and Mods alike.

stormshooter

Quote from: Towelie on Jul 25, 2015, 05:25 PM- Refreshing the Manager+ team. I will discuss with the inactive Managers+ and see if they wish to resign or make an effort to become active again  / then proceed to finding new Managers+ (in progress)
I know this is a bit out of the blue, but if it's the community who have problems with the staff, maybe we should have some sort of vote towards a new manager? (Obviously not entirely based off us)

Katherine

Everyone has room for improvement, especially myself. It's been bought to my attention that through feedback that people consider me to be rude, aggressive, etc. I'm aware of these things, and however people perceive me wasn't really how I intended. I always try my best to help people, it's in the best interests in the server. But I understand that sometimes taking things a little too far can lead to people having negative thoughts against you.

I don't want to be seen as someone who is rude, as that's completely against my intention. I've stuck around for SFT for so long due to the community, and as a staff member it's within me to give back to you, and if that's not what I've been doing then I'm sorry for that. Towelie and Stini are working with me to improve on this.

I have a plan to be able to interact more with players, I love helping people, and I understand that some people probably see me as someone who only talks to staff, I am more than happy to help anyone and I want you to know that if you have any issues on the server, you can approach me. I've seen a lot and I'm willing to help you. Even if I may not be the most approachable person at times, just know, that's there.

iLaxrv10

Quote from: TeraStorm on Jul 25, 2015, 06:00 PMI know this is a bit out of the blue, but if it's the community who have problems with the staff, maybe we should have some sort of vote towards a new manager? (Obviously not entirely based off us)

This would be a great idea! Im 100% for this or something like it :P
Ex-Pixelmon Manager
Ex-Survival, Lost Islands, Pocket Edition Elder
Ex-WildWest, B-Team, Factions, Prison Owner

GRIMI_

Bring back event league if any of the current event hosts have time/can be bothered.

Also, on that topic, the variety and regularity of the events is much worse than it has been in the past. Perhaps evals, or bringing back eventhost of the week (idk if this still exists) , or adding more event hosts will improve this.

The pvp events are rarely hosted, which adds greatly to the variety. Often when such events are suggested, eventhosts shy away from them due to being harder to host. To combat this, make pvp events worth more for eventhosts to host.

Jasper

Quote from: Towelie on Jul 25, 2015, 05:25 PM- Add some fresh blood to the staff team (not via apply for staff, but via normal staff recomendations).

I nominate GotAnError! :D

Stinistar

I definitely agree that we miss the events. Even I do!
I will do whatever I can to improve the staff team in every way. Please don't hesitate to give me feedback! You can always contact me or my helper Cr1_98 if you want to talk about a staff member

nicholiplays

i’m just glad tow is talking to the staff member (Jmods&Mods) some are actually very rude not gonna call names but seriously, Un-named staff member: “i am staff so yes, i can ban you” i never even mention about a ban, like, seriously its annoying me. I don’t wanna make a whole deal about but thats all I’m saying I’m not replying to people who are going to make a big deal out of this :P and i don’t want them to be demoted but can you just please change your attitude about being a whole staff thing? i can see your rank big and bold.
me after hitting a fat bong:

xJade

at the mean time i have made a spleef arena while the events are dead :I feel free to come and play i will give 5k since i have been giving out 30k to the winners :) /warp townspleef

:redflower: :redflower::redflower::redflower::redflower::redflower::redflower::redflower::redflower::redflower:

:heart:You MUST learn to help yourself. Thats how you become stronger. :heart:

GotAnError

Quote from: xX420YoloSwagXx on Jul 25, 2015, 07:37 PM
Quote from: Towelie on Jul 25, 2015, 05:25 PM- Add some fresh blood to the staff team (not via apply for staff, but via normal staff recomendations).

I nominate GotAnError! :D

Screw the modern world! Our lovely earth is flat, ask the Medieval men!

The_Living_Human

Amen

Cireshie

Quote from: American_Walrus on Jul 25, 2015, 08:57 PMWe are down to only 4 active hosts, which is not enough in my opinion.
One more eventhost might be good, but another eventhost does not guarantee more events. I don't see as many events hosted by EventHosts as I think I should be seeing. I do understand that I'm not online 24/7, but that doesn't mean I should see only a few events in the actual time I play in a week. I understand timezones are a thing, but surely I would see another eventhost in my timezone host.

American_Walrus

Quote from: Cireshie on Jul 26, 2015, 04:34 AM
Quote from: American_Walrus on Jul 25, 2015, 08:57 PMWe are down to only 4 active hosts, which is not enough in my opinion.
One more eventhost might be good, but another eventhost does not guarantee more events. I don't see as many events hosted by EventHosts as I think I should be seeing. I do understand that I'm not online 24/7, but that doesn't mean I should see only a few events in the actual time I play in a week. I understand timezones are a thing, but surely I would see another eventhost in my timezone host.

You make a good point saying an EventHost doesn't guarantee more events, but isn't that the point of this post? To find more suitable staff that will participate kindly in their positions? It's all in finding the right person, which we obviously need to do more of.
I also agree that not as many events are hosted as there could be. Adding a proactive, kind, suitable member to the EventHost staff team could change this.
It all links back to what Towelie said
All respect intended,
Walrus

GRIMI_

Quote from: Cireshie on Jul 26, 2015, 04:34 AM

I'm in the same or similar timezone with all the current eventhosts, and even on weeks where i played 40hrs a week i saw a real lack of events hosted, especially for the amount of eventhosts we have, and the variety of events we have. You're obviously not alone in that thought.

Tyvic

Most people complain about how the staff are sometimes ignorant, which I am going to be honest about, did as well. But I'm going to throw in a little explanation.

Mostly the mods are busy, and are unavailable to help at the moment. Your best chance is to wait a few minutes and remind them that you need help after ~5mins at the least.

Also, the chat is a busy place! This is where players engage with each other 24/7. There's not much of a chance a mod will always see your request. Consider this: If you type /gui, there's a lapis block that says Calls a Mod+ for Protections. Click that, and it will send a direct request to any mod+ online at the time. (Note that just because it says for "protections", doesn't mean it's not specifically for that reason. It works for all particular reasons you can think of.)

All in all, I think the staff team is doing pretty well. Sure we can use some fresh blood, but at the moment the staff team is holding up pretty well i'd say.

P.S. I nominate myself as JMod

Stinistar

It's not only promoting people. It's also finding suitable players for the rank. Take that in mind please!

ParisGrace

Quote from: TeraStorm on Jul 25, 2015, 05:36 PM
Quote from: Towelie on Jul 25, 2015, 05:25 PM- Refreshing the Manager+ team. I will discuss with the inactive Managers+ and see if they wish to resign or make an effort to become active again  / then proceed to finding new Managers+ (in
I've noticed no problem in the manager team. It's more mods / JMods most of us are concerned about.

I agree 110%. I have never ever had any problems with the Manager plus team neither has any of my friends. And I agree with TeraStorm The jmods are the only ones I rly have issues with

gunnerdog24

I don't really feel like there is anything wrong with the staff I think they all know what they are doing and active enough that I don't notice.

JBeddy (Nebs)

I have never had any issues with any of the staff while I'm on. Although the time I am on has been limited, they all have seemed friendly and willing to help. I'm sure as many of you do, people can easily take the wrong meaning of things over text and possibly misinterpret the way something was said.

Being a former staff member I remember how challenging it could be to always have that smile on your face, even when dealt with controversial people. At some point you are a walmart greeter at times. Always ready with a helping hand and a smiling face.

The point is, as a whole the staff seems to be doing fine in my eyes, the only issue I have noticed is the lack of staff on at one time, but that has always been an issue in the summer times for as long as I can remember. So keep up the good work. :)