Mar 28, 2024, 12:05 PM

News:

Like our community? Please +1 our modpack here

Help with English Homework? (An Inspector Calls)

Started by TheMop123, Sep 20, 2015, 03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheMop123

So, I'm struggling a lot with my English homework. [This post only applies to people who have read An Inspector Calls.]

Okay, so I have to write a page and a half on why the inspector is not a  normal policeman... an my writing is pretty small..

So far I have like, the fact he's a ghost but I think that's pretty obvious.
Also the fact he only has one line of inquiry open at a time but I don't really want to write a whole page on that.

Any other suggestions?
Maybe that he's not as tough on Gerald as he is on the Birlings?
Or he didn't have a police uniform?
The fact he was in control over the whole situation, and knew what was going on? (Any police man could have done that with the help of Eva Smith's diary)
Help please. :c

ddude_stnom

Been a while since I've read the book, but here are a few ideas for which you could use:

• If I recall, the Inspectors name was 'Goole'? And as you are contrasting him to a ghost, there is an evil spirit in Arabian mythology called a 'Ghoul'. Coincidence?
  • You could also mention about the Inspectors appearance and how the Birings may treat him based upon this (class, social status, etc.).
  • How he owns the room and addresses members of the family compared to what a normal policeman of that era may have done.
  • The language he uses (I.E. when he mentions about 'Eva's' inside's burning out') and whether a normal policeman would have done the same.
  • How he gets the Birling's to admit to their crimes whereas another policeman may struggle.
These are just a few ideas and I hope they are okay!

TheMop123

Quote from: ddude_stnom on Sep 20, 2015, 04:59 PMBeen a while since I've read the book, but here are a few ideas for which you could use:

• If I recall, the Inspectors name was 'Goole'? And as you are contrasting him to a ghost, there is an evil spirit in Arabian mythology called a 'Ghoul'. Coincidence?
  • You could also mention about the Inspectors appearance and how the Birings may treat him based upon this (class, social status, etc.).
  • How he owns the room and addresses members of the family compared to what a normal policeman of that era may have done.
  • The language he uses (I.E. when he mentions about 'Eva's' inside's burning out') and whether a normal policeman would have done the same.
  • How he gets the Birling's to admit to their crimes whereas another policeman may struggle.
These are just a few ideas and I hope they are okay!

Thankyou! Very helpful :3

tree43