Mar 28, 2024, 02:29 PM

News:

Have a Super Fun Time!

Truman Doctrine

Started by Sparkle_Sun, Feb 23, 2016, 05:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sparkle_Sun

"At the present moment in world history nearly every nation must choose between alternative ways of life. The choice is too often not a free one. One way of life is based upon the will of the majority, and is distinguished by free institutions, representative government, free elections, guarantees of individual liberty, freedom of speech and religion, and freedom from political oppression. The second way of life is based upon the will of a minority forcibly imposed upon the majority. It relies upon terror and oppression, a controlled press and radio, fixed elections, and the suppression of personal freedoms. I believe that it must be the policy of the United States to support free people who are resisting attempted subjugation by armed minorities or by outside pressures. I believe that we must assist free peoples to work out their own destinies in their own way. I believe that our help should be primarily through economic stability and orderly political process."
--President Harry S. Truman, March 12, 1947

I am being asked the folling question about the Truman Doctrine, posted above.

"Who is President Truman referring to when speaking of the two different "ways of life?"
My answer would be that he is referring to the communist leaders or the countries being oppressed by communism, however I am uncertain and confused by the entire question in general. Could anyone offer some insight?

Thanks so much. :)

VirginianAE

I never terry in this forum, so forgive me if I speak out of turn.

If I recall correctly (trust, but verify), you are correct.  The Truman Doctrine effectively told the Soviet Union that we were going to engage in containment of communistic ideals which set the stage for showdowns in Korea and Vietnam which, despite what did or did not occur militarily, did effectively halt much of the spread of USSR-sponsored communism.

By a "way of life", he is referring to democratic and communistic ways of life and saying that the United States will support those who pursue democratic/capitalistic ideals.  It is a form of saying "these guys believe the same stuff we do, so we're going to defend against any threats towards what they believe."

Sparkle_Sun