Mojang will begin blocking EULA breaking servers after MC 1.9.3

Started by Towelie, Apr 30, 2016, 11:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dpa1991

Quote from: Fractalion on May 01, 2016, 01:30 AMsnip

Most of the problem is from servers that are heavily pay2win and target younger kids and have no issues taking money from kids. There are servers who let children donate/buy thousands of dollars worth of stuff, then when the parents find out they instantly blame mojang. So they don't like how servers are representing their brand.

Personally on Pixelmon I limit players to spending $200 a month (exceed the limit and you're blocked from purchasing anything until the month ends) and try to make everything available through gameplay and not need a purchase. But due to the EULA enforcing, we're labeled as a bad server.

Fractalion

Quote from: Dpa1991 on May 01, 2016, 01:44 AM

Most of the problem is from servers that are heavily pay2win and target younger kids and have no issues taking money from kids. There are servers who let children donate/buy thousands of dollars worth of stuff, then when the parents find out they instantly blame mojang. So they don't like how servers are representing their brand.

Personally on Pixelmon I limit players to spending $200 a month (exceed the limit and you're blocked from purchasing anything until the month ends) and try to make everything available through gameplay and not need a purchase. But due to the EULA enforcing, we're labeled as a bad server.

You're right, I just avoided pay to win servers in an attempt to keep my post a bit shorter. They're a more complicated subject, and back when the EULA changes were first announced 20 months ago, the non-premium servers were a huge part of the explanation Mojang gave regarding the changes, so I decided I'd focus on that.

The excessively greedy pay to win servers are definitely a huge part of the decision to start enforcing the EULA, though. You're definitely right about that.

Dpa1991

Quote from: Fractalion on May 01, 2016, 01:52 AM

You're right, I just avoided pay to win servers in an attempt to keep my post a bit shorter. They're a more complicated subject, and back when the EULA changes were first announced 20 months ago, the non-premium servers were a huge part of the explanation Mojang gave regarding the changes, so I decided I'd focus on that.

The excessively greedy pay to win servers are definitely a huge part of the decision to start enforcing the EULA, though. You're definitely right about that.

Yeah, I don't want to bash mojang over their decisions as there is a problem. This just isn't the solution they should put in effect.

IMO, Mojang should regulate what shops sell by prices. They should get in touch with Buycraft and hard-code in restrictions such as how much a player can spend a month (Something reasonable, not overly restricting like $50/mo) and any server who claims to be an official mojang server will instantly get blacklisted.

Its none of mojangs business as to how a server is ran, if its p2w then be it.

Fractalion

Quote from: Dpa1991 on May 01, 2016, 02:17 AM-snip-

It really always comes back down to the shareholders and how copyright law works, though.

I think it would be a good idea for them to work with buycraft in that way, and I'd be surprised if we don't see that in the future, but in the end it wouldn't really do anything to stop the larger threats to their intellectual property. (Such as the non-premium servers that I referred to in my original post)

It sucks, it really does, but we're just going to have to move on and find a new path. I'm sure we'll find a way to subside off of cosmetic perks and purchases related to other game servers.

Brightpkz

This community has been my support for a good 3 years. I couldn't imagine it turning into dust... I genuinely hope everything goes well...

Call me Bond. Bright Bond.
Elytra Creds to Cayko <33

HD

I was part of the community for one whole year now.. I can't imagine seeing it all go away

Dpa1991

Quote from: Fractalion on May 01, 2016, 02:33 AM
Quote from: Dpa1991 on May 01, 2016, 02:17 AM-snip-

It really always comes back down to the shareholders and how copyright law works, though.

I think it would be a good idea for them to work with buycraft in that way, and I'd be surprised if we don't see that in the future, but in the end it wouldn't really do anything to stop the larger threats to their intellectual property. (Such as the non-premium servers that I referred to in my original post)

It sucks, it really does, but we're just going to have to move on and find a new path. I'm sure we'll find a way to subside off of cosmetic perks and purchases related to other game servers.

Yeah, there will always be abusers. But in this way, Mojang can have approved gateways for MTX to be put into place, there would obviously be more than just Buycraft but this way if you take donations and don't use an approved gateway, then your server gets blacklisted.

calfrokrill

I can't imagine SFT ever going down. It's become a part of my life. The players and community have changed who I am. If this server goes, it will be so devastating.
I would never, ever have imagined SFT being on the list. I hope everything goes well. I'm really nervous.

Barbacue2

Just a thought, but what if we go 1.9.2 instead of updating?  The blacklists only effect 1.9.3+ and I'd rather not this be SFT's last stand

Dpa1991

Quote from: Barbacue2 on May 01, 2016, 03:14 AMJust a thought, but what if we go 1.9.2 instead of updating?  The blacklists only effect 1.9.3+ and I'd rather not this be SFT's last stand

I'm sure the update will eventually be backported, and most likely won't even need to be backported as from what I've read they're just faking a connection error whenever a blacklisted DNS trys to authenticate an account or something.

I have no idea though.

The_Stigg

This is terrible. Who can honestly blame Mojang though? They did what they had to do. I'm one of those people who if shown how to do something once, I got it. But I've never been able to figure out internet hosting. Can someone explain what SFT will have to do in order to be EULA compliant?

BattleAxium

Quote from: The_Stigg on May 01, 2016, 03:34 AMThis is terrible. Who can honestly blame Mojang though? They did what they had to do. I'm one of those people who if shown how to do something once, I got it. But I've never been able to figure out internet hosting. Can someone explain what SFT will have to do in order to be EULA compliant?

Read Fract's post above. Has nothing to do with Internet hosting.

Quote from: Dpa1991 on May 01, 2016, 02:17 AMYeah, I don't want to bash mojang over their decisions as there is a problem. This just isn't the solution they should put in effect.

IMO, Mojang should regulate what shops sell by prices. They should get in touch with Buycraft and hard-code in restrictions such as how much a player can spend a month (Something reasonable, not overly restricting like $50/mo) and any server who claims to be an official mojang server will instantly get blacklisted.

People will just stop using Buycraft for donations. Plain and simple. As much as I don't agree with any game company like Mojang restricting their fan-base from donations/monetization, it really boils down to preventing players from a) Getting unfair advantages and b) Mojang losing revenue. This seems to be a common practice in the game industry. For instance, Bohemia Interactive (BI) has shutdown servers for not being approved for monetization. It's the same deal here. If you don't comply with their EULA, then expect some repercussions. I'm not siding with Mojang here (in fact I think what they're doing is ridiculous), but at the end of the day, it's their game and if they want to enforce a EULA that's their entitlement. Whether it's fair or unfair for the end user doesn't matter, we have to deal with the changes they make, and comply or don't use/play their game.

SuperJK

/warp SteveCoMuseum

iLaxrv10

Quote from: SuperJK on May 01, 2016, 04:53 AMNOO I HOPE SFT IS NOT GONNA DIE
The best thing to do right now is to stay calm! :)
SFT isn't gonna die and I don't know what we will do in order to meet the new requirements but keep an eye on this topic because @Towelie will be posting updates!
Ex-Pixelmon Manager
Ex-Survival, Lost Islands, Pocket Edition Elder
Ex-WildWest, B-Team, Factions, Prison Owner

SuperJK

ok BTW SOME of the freaking VERY POPULAR SERVERS ARE ON IT LIKE (Insert Name here) and (Insert Name here)

**Edited to take out the mentioning of other severs.

/warp SteveCoMuseum

SuperJK

I saw this on Notch's Website once

/warp SteveCoMuseum

SuperJK

/warp SteveCoMuseum

Dpa1991

Quote from: SuperJK on May 01, 2016, 05:00 AM

I saw this on Notch's Website once
What?

Quote from: BattleAxium on May 01, 2016, 03:49 AM
Quote from: The_Stigg on May 01, 2016, 03:34 AMThis is terrible. Who can honestly blame Mojang though? They did what they had to do. I'm one of those people who if shown how to do something once, I got it. But I've never been able to figure out internet hosting. Can someone explain what SFT will have to do in order to be EULA compliant?

Read Fract's post above. Has nothing to do with Internet hosting.

Quote from: Dpa1991 on May 01, 2016, 02:17 AMYeah, I don't want to bash mojang over their decisions as there is a problem. This just isn't the solution they should put in effect.

People will just stop using Buycraft for donations. Plain and simple. As much as I don't agree with any game company like Mojang restricting their fan-base from donations/monetization, it really boils down to preventing players from a) Getting unfair advantages and b) Mojang losing revenue. This seems to be a common practice in the game industry. For instance, Bohemia Interactive (BI) has shutdown servers for not being approved for monetization. It's the same deal here. If you don't comply with their EULA, then expect some repercussions. I'm not siding with Mojang here (in fact I think what they're doing is ridiculous), but at the end of the day, it's their game and if they want to enforce a EULA that's their entitlement. Whether it's fair or unfair for the end user doesn't matter, we have to deal with the changes they make, and comply or don't use/play their game.

Yeah, thats why I included the part about blacklisting servers taking money from an un-approved gateway (By gateway I mean Buycraft or enjinn for example) This just isnt going to be good for us in the long run, no matter what way you look at it. Nothing will change until enough players speak up and convince mojang/Microsoft this isn't the right course of action.

SuperJK

Dpa1991 It Was on his old website but now he updated it and removed it

/warp SteveCoMuseum

SuperJK

Oh wait @Towelie  I have an Idea take off all items off the premium shop and put them for EMP and Vote Tokens and Get an Admin+ to give you the perm I Found a minecraft server list of blocked servers where you type in an IP and SFT is not on blacklist BTW check it out here http://blocked-servers.zargor.net/

/warp SteveCoMuseum

Doctor_Thanos

That is utterly unbelievable. @Towelie we are here for you! Hope everything goes well.

calfrokrill

Quote from: SuperJK on May 01, 2016, 05:16 AMOh wait @Towelie  I have an Idea take off all items off the premium shop and put them for EMP and Vote Tokens and Get an Admin+ to give you the perm I Found a minecraft server list of blocked servers where you type in an IP and SFT is not on blacklist BTW check it out here http://blocked-servers.zargor.net/
That won't help at all!

CaykoMarie

Quote from: SuperJK on May 01, 2016, 05:16 AMOh wait @Towelie  I have an Idea take off all items off the premium shop and put them for EMP and Vote Tokens and Get an Admin+ to give you the perm I Found a minecraft server list of blocked servers where you type in an IP and SFT is not on blacklist BTW check it out here http://blocked-servers.zargor.net/

Unfortunately, EMP and Vote Tokens do not pay for real life servers. Also, please be sure to read the entire post. :)

ryan_m004

This news has shocked me, I've been on SFT for more then 2 years now and it's kind of upsetting to see it be in such a situation like this.
Quote from: MrEpicWonder on Dec 25, 2014, 09:21 PMi have such a good memory, an apple, an orange and a tennis ball thrown at my dick.

blalp

Have a fantastic day!