News:

Have a Super Fun Time!

[Sports] Steph Curry wins MVP Second Year in a Row

Started by iLaxrv10, May 28, 2016, 04:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iLaxrv10

Steph Curry wins MVP Unanimously
from ESPN.go.com

PORTLAND, Ore. -- Golden State Warriors guard Stephen Curry became the NBA's first unanimous Most Valuable Player on Tuesday, winning the award for a second straight season.

Curry, 28, swept all 131 first-place votes, including 130 from a panel of sportswriters and broadcasters and one from the Kia MVP fan vote. San Antonio Spurs forward Kawhi Leonard was second in the voting, followed by Cleveland Cavaliers forward LeBron James.

"I never really set out to change the game. I never thought that would happen in my career," Curry said Tuesday as he accepted the trophy during a news conference in Oakland, California. "What I wanted to do was be myself. ... I know it inspires the next generation. You can work every day to get better."

The Warriors returned home after Monday's Game 4 win in Portland, in which Curry had 40 points, including 17 in overtime.

"He wants it," coach Steve Kerr said. "There's no ulterior motive. He's constantly trying to improve with no agenda. ... This is incredibly improbable. But there's a reason this is happening."

Curry had been an overwhelming favorite to repeat as league MVP since the Warriors' record-setting 24-0 start to the season, which broke the previous record for best start to a season by nine wins. He also led the Warriors to a 73-9 mark, eclipsing the 1995-96 Chicago Bulls' 72-10 record as the winningest regular season in NBA history.

Shaquille O'Neal and James fell one vote shy of unanimous selection in 2000 and 2013, respectively. Curry joins Tom Brady (2010 NFL MVP) and Wayne Gretzky (1982 Hart Trophy winner) as the only unanimous MVPs in their respective leagues. There have been 17 unanimous MVPs in MLB history, most recently Bryce Harper, who was NL MVP last season.
Ex-Pixelmon Manager
Ex-Survival, Lost Islands, Pocket Edition Elder
Ex-WildWest, B-Team, Factions, Prison Owner