Mar 28, 2024, 06:10 PM

News:

Like our community? Please +1 our modpack here

Which servers should we shut down and why?

Started by Towelie, Jun 03, 2016, 05:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dpa1991

Quote from: FrostyRaiden on Jun 03, 2016, 07:33 PMOne thing i want to keep in everyone's minds when we talk about adding new servers and removing servers, not EVERYONE in our community has the ability to play games like ark or rust.  A majority of people who play minecraft (like half of the pix players for example)  dont have specs to play games like that.   Half of us have under 4gb of ram and so expecting the community to move to all these huge games like rust where it requires a semi-new computer; is not do-able at all.   People keep questioning why not more are playing rust?  Its because most of us cant.    If you want to keep the community thriving, find games that a majority of us can play.
@Towelie @Dpa1991

As you said in your post, half of you can't play these games. That leaves an entire other half of the community that can. We still have minecraft servers, we will still be maintaining these servers as well - we just need something new and unfortunately, there isnt much thats out there.

_iTzReKtPvp_

We shouldn't remove Pocket because the players who don't have a premium account are going here. Maybe we will find a solution to update. Since PocketMine has been discontinued, I will search for better hosting apps and if I will find something better I'll PM you.
Former Pocket Manager

MrC0W

Quote from: iLaxrv10 on Jun 03, 2016, 07:35 PMMaybe Qwest?
Qwest's update is coming. I don't think it should be considered removing at least until it is out and we see how it does.

Stoovs

Quote from: BattleAxium on Jun 03, 2016, 06:12 PMI would take over Altis Life, but was never given the opportunity to do so.
Otherwise, I agree with the rest of the servers mentioned being removed.

@Towelie No one else was given a chance to actually take over the Altis Life server. Although I personally am not very experienced in playing much Altis, much less administrating or managing a server, I think it's a big step from moving this community away from Minecraft and much more toward what we are looking for, a community of games.

I know this isn't for me to say, but giving IPwn and Battle (because I know they have experience in the area) a chance to try to create the server wouldn't be such a bad thing. Let's think of it this way, if you kill the server, there's no chance of growth, but if you choose to let someone, anyone who is willing to work on the server do just that, then the chance for actual expansion within the community is there.

I already think that working on the Rust server is a great idea, and if GMod ever gets advertised like Rust is currently, along with the addition of an Altis Life server, this community has a very real chance of being able to move farther away from Minecraft and into a multi-game community.

If we prove success in our other games as well, it opens the door for us to host other games, and pull in players there as well with games like ARK, or even BHop and surfing servers on CS:GO, and if all goes well, host an official DayZ server (assuming the game is popular at any point in time).
"There are some that only employ words for the purpose of disguising their thoughts" -Voltaire

Scronail

In my opinion, I think we should get rid of in order of importance to whenever:

-Hunger Games, over all laggy, and low attendance

-Parkour, No real point... I tried it a couple times and never got past the first course. Not for lack of trying, but... idk really. Also... not that many people play

- Wild West, I've been there a couple times, and both times, it was completely deserted. As far as I've heard... most of it's attendance rate is mostly staff members anyway.

Green_Giant

Only thing I can really add to this is that we could have a parkour world on Survival, rather than having it as a separate server. During the summer, i'd be happy to work on new maps and droppers with a team and continue some of the maps that have already started to be built.

danielle627

Quote from: Scronail on Jun 03, 2016, 08:18 PMIn my opinion, I think we should get rid of in order of importance to whenever:

-Hunger Games, over all laggy, and low attendance

-Parkour, No real point... I tried it a couple times and never got past the first course. Not for lack of trying, but... idk really. Also... not that many people play

- Wild West, I've been there a couple times, and both times, it was completely deserted. As far as I've heard... most of it's attendance rate is mostly staff members anyway.
Well Wild West is new, it just needs a few and maybe more people will join, and play on it.

camster65

Quote from: Sparkle_Sun on Jun 03, 2016, 07:23 PMHungergames and Parkour could be modified and put as World 3 events instead of having their own server, too.
Agreed with this

But also qwests and Wild West, both hardly any player base

If it was possible to add a creative world to survival which you couldn't take items to or from that would be much better than having its own server

IPwnCreeps

Jun 03, 2016, 11:35 PM #33 Last Edit: Jun 03, 2016, 11:42 PM by IPwnCreeps
Quote from: FrostyRaiden on Jun 03, 2016, 07:33 PMOne thing i want to keep in everyone's minds when we talk about adding new servers and removing servers, not EVERYONE in our community has the ability to play games like ark or rust.  A majority of people who play minecraft (like half of the pix players for example)  dont have specs to play games like that.   Half of us have under 4gb of ram and so expecting the community to move to all these huge games like rust where it requires a semi-new computer; is not do-able at all.   People keep questioning why not more are playing rust?  Its because most of us cant.    If you want to keep the community thriving, find games that a majority of us can play.
@Towelie @Dpa1991
The entire point of making new game servers is to expand the community. Keeping our borders limited to games that, pardon my French, only shit PCs can run really won't get us anywhere. The entire idea behind Battle and I rooting for an Altis life server was to introduce a new audience into SFT. The point is to get players from outside SFT to become a part of our community and help us continue to grow. What you're getting at would make SFT just an isolated cluster of the same people which would slowly get smaller and smaller. There are few people that will donate repeatedly, as most people only want 1-2 things we offer from the premium shop. Adding new members to our community from other games would allow the community to become more stable not just in means of population but revenue. The focus with new game servers really isn't to give current SFT members something to play, it's to attract new members to our community from a different audience.

Fractalion

Jun 03, 2016, 11:39 PM #34 Last Edit: Jun 04, 2016, 03:24 AM by Fractalion
Let's see..
  • I very rarely see people talk about Hunger Games or Parkour, so those ones should obviously be killed off.
  • If Lost Islands is actually that small, then I agree it should be shut down. We don't really have it on any voting websites that I'm aware of though, so maybe list it on one to try to attract some players first? Unless of course the problems you're talking about are really bad.
  • Altis Life I have no opinion on.
  • Qwest isn't as dead as it could be, but it's pretty dead from what I've seen. If there are updates coming, that's great, but maybe shut it down until those updates are at least on the horizon. No point in wasting the resources at the moment.
  • Pocket Minecraft should stay. I'm not a part of it, but it certainly has a dedicated community. Even if it's a rather small community, they actually seem to post on forums more than even some of our larger servers. Also, Saywhat said he has the update ready to go, so that's no longer an issue, really.
  • Wildwest is too new to kill at the moment, in my opinion. However, it's pretty dead. It's going to need to prove itself soon I think.

smallfry5545

Quote from: Sparkle_Sun on Jun 03, 2016, 07:23 PMHungergames and Parkour could be modified and put as World 3 events instead of having their own server, too.

This exactly, I wouldn't want to fully lose parkour, it's fun when I have the time to be on it.. And Hunger games could have potential if it were revamped. It's just been so long since something has happened there, people tend to get bored and forget about it. Pocket should stay, the players there are pretty dedicated it seems, the other's I would be fine with killing off.

Darren64_NY

Arias0

I agree with all, except for Parkour & Hunger games. They could honestly with the right management etc be put too good use. You could host big events with (Pix/Surv prizes) you could put in custom maps and plugins to real in new players etc.

They do have potential imo.

EDIT: But if removing dead servers like this (Park/HG), means dedicating more time to Prison etc. then I'm all for it.

Pookalton

Quote from: Towelie on Jun 03, 2016, 05:53 PMYou heard it, which servers should we shut down and why?

I'll start:
- Hunger games - nobody plays on it
- Lost Islands - too few players and too many problems
- Parkour - 0 players almost all the time
- Altis Life - was doomed to failure since the start, excon got a job before he even managed to launch it and nobody else seemed willing or knowledgeful enough to take it over.

Do you agree with these? Do you have any others to add?
This is just a debate, feel free to join in

Pocket Minecraft is one where i'm extremely conflicted. @saywhat2365 is kinda dead and not taking care of it and also it's impossible to update it any further due to pocketmine being discontinued but it still has players so i don't know :S
- Qwest - Needs a major update if we are to keep it and @Izzdaer is unable to provide that update at the moment as he's focusing on Rust as instructed by me - we will not be removing it for now

We have a hunger games server?? XD I tried lost islands... too grindy for me... We have a parkour server? Aaaand I don't own Altis Life, but from qhat I've heard, it's goin pretty bad. So I agree with all of those but Pocket Edition, I don't play on that but no point shutting it down with players on it.

blalp

Just saying most of our active players and donators are MOD pack people. There are few from SFT that can play on Lost Islands at the moment because of lag issues. By shutting down Lost you would lose that group of people, I do not think they will switch to our survival server or some of our other servers, they will switch to other modded servers. Probably not Pix, because they mainly like the tech and magic, which is not apparent in Pix. I love the community there and will cry if it goes. If it must be shut it down, I hope it helps SFT.
Have a fantastic day!

XxRagingKillerX

I say no for lost as the player base is easy to get back all that is need is updates and a few other things
Lost is a server that can only get better :) <3
Rage
Raging
Craigo

XxRagingKillerX

Rage
Raging
Craigo

BattleAxium

Quote from: Vallith on Jun 04, 2016, 02:16 AMWe have a hunger games server?? XD I tried lost islands... too grindy for me... We have a parkour server? Aaaand I don't own Altis Life, but from qhat I've heard, it's goin pretty bad. So I agree with all of those but Pocket Edition, I don't play on that but no point shutting it down with players on it.

JohnOaklyjohn

I agree with the list except for parkour. Maybe you could do like Sparkle said and move the courses into the Survival server. But, parkour is the reason I joined Sft and while yes, there are still plenty of courses minus the ones on parkour server, they're the ones I came to know and love.

Move the courses into survival or keep parkour is my opinion. Otherwise, I agree with the list

John

Brightpkz

Yeah agreed with the list. Parkour could be added as a part of /w3 on survival I suppose.

Call me Bond. Bright Bond.
Elytra Creds to Cayko <33

XxRagingKillerX

Jun 04, 2016, 02:52 AM #45 Last Edit: Jun 04, 2016, 02:56 AM by XxRagingKillerX
If need be I'll pay for lost to stay up
@dpa @owner
Rage
Raging
Craigo

Greywell

I DISAGREE for All because you only have a choice of 4 servers if removed and I am active for lost islands and some people achieved so much and they would hate if all their hard work went to waste

Greywell

And you server owners should update Lost Islands because the last update was 2 months ago and if updated it would bring more players to the servers and almost every mod would have new Items Or Stuff to the game Like Thaumcraft being compatible with Botania and Blood Magic

ryder20676

Quote from: Fractalion on Jun 03, 2016, 11:39 PM
Quote from: Towelie on Jun 03, 2016, 05:53 PMYou heard it, which servers should we shut down and why?

I'll start:
- Hunger games - nobody plays on it
- Lost Islands - too few players and too many problems
- Parkour - 0 players almost all the time
- Altis Life - was doomed to failure since the start, excon got a job before he even managed to launch it and nobody else seemed willing or knowledgeful enough to take it over.

Do you agree with these? Do you have any others to add?
This is just a debate, feel free to join in

Pocket Minecraft is one where i'm extremely conflicted. @saywhat2365 is kinda dead and not taking care of it and also it's impossible to update it any further due to pocketmine being discontinued but it still has players so i don't know :S
- Qwest - Needs a major update if we are to keep it and @Izzdaer is unable to provide that update at the moment as he's focusing on Rust as instructed by me - we will not be removing it for now

Let's see..
  • I very rarely see people talk about Hunger Games or Parkour, so those ones should obviously be killed off.
  • If Lost Islands is actually that small, then I agree it should be shut down. We don't really have it on any voting websites that I'm aware of though, so maybe list it on one to try to attract some players first? Unless of course the problems you're talking about are really bad.
  • Altis Life I have no opinion on.
  • Qwest isn't as dead as it could be, but it's pretty dead from what I've seen. If there are updates coming, that's great, but maybe shut it down until those updates are at least on the horizon. No point in wasting the resources at the moment.
  • Pocket Minecraft should stay. I'm not a part of it, but it certainly has a dedicated community. Even if it's a rather small community, they actually seem to post on forums more than even some of our larger servers. Also, Saywhat said he has the update ready to go, so that's no longer an issue, really.
  • Wildwest is too new to kill at the moment, in my opinion. However, it's pretty dead. It's going to need to prove itself soon I think.
Lost isn't all that small we have up to 20 players on the server on weekends and not as much as others during the week due to school, work, etc. but the server is also growing it's not at a steady amount of people. When I first joined it there were only like 6 people in at a time and it just continues to grow. Also, recently we haven't had very many problems with the server.

HD

Yeah, we could just move them instead of completely removing them :laugh: