Mar 28, 2024, 06:39 PM

News:

Like our community? Please +1 our modpack here

Which servers should we shut down and why?

Started by Towelie, Jun 03, 2016, 05:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marshmallows

After hearing about copen, I think the decisions should be made quickly to save money

ochoaj

To be honest, I'm fine with letting all of those servers go, with the exception of the Pocket Server. I've never played on Hunger Games, Lost Islands, Parkour, or Altis Life, and I've been playing on SFT since October 2014. So I think it would save time and money to just let those go since they are deemed unsuccessful. I do think that we should keep the Pocket MC up because it does get daily activity though.  :steve:
"Whoever would overthrow the liberty of a nation must begin by subduing the freeness of speech."
― Benjamin Franklin

Dday694

I honestly don't get why we don't just save the maps and have just one big event server where every week or so we just change the maps out.

So like 1 week it would be HG, then Parkour, then any other ones we can think of (build my thing, so forth). And then maybe on certain ones that relate to holidays, we keep out longer!

I mean this way people can always get different content, and it doesn't just sit as one thing exclusively.

SuperJK

Remove parkour it's too boring but if SFT was on roblox parkour obbys would be popular and HG is also very not used very much so i think to remove both

/warp SteveCoMuseum

calfrokrill

Quote from: SuperJK on Jun 04, 2016, 06:31 AMRemove parkour it's too boring but if SFT <snip> would be popular and HG is also very not used very much so i think to remove both

1. Don't advertise.

2. A lot of people play on Parkour.

3. Just because you don't like a server doesn't mean it has to shut down.

Lucy_23x

I have been on parkour recently, with @Dreamξηder ღ @MasterX70 @MightyMinerMines and some others and we do have quite a lot of fun, I would be sad to see the parkour server go because on there it is just with the people playing it too so you're all in it together. Moving it to survival may be a good option but sometimes people to there, or to creative, not just to do the things the server offers, but to also get away from the larger community of survival, one being myself.
I don't think people would appreciate others raging about falling to their deaths on parkour as they do on the parkour server, as well as the fact on survival there is the possibility you can die and lose your stuff and all that.
I never see anyone on hg though when factions was up people did used to go on there if there was some type of fight on there. But that's not now.
I rarely see anyone on qwest or wildwest, though sometimes I do. It's disappointing how everyone was excited for it, but then barely anyone really plays on it now. Kinda sucks.

Quote from: sparkydeathcap on Feb 17, 2016, 04:07 AMand also; how old are you? I've always imagined you as like a old irish man that drinks whiskey and screams at people to get off his lawn while sitting on a bench in the park. But I'm pretty sure that's not the case because if it was: 1. you're a pedophile and 2. you're a pedophile

Towelie

I'd like to clarify some things

#1 Hunger Games / Parkour
- It's not easy to just move these to world3 on survival like you said we should. These servers not only will add maps which cause lag but each also needs a fuck ton of plugins to work and there is no way in hell im adding 10 more plugins on survival for like hunger games which nobody would play anyway
#2 Lost Islands
- We're not shutting down lost because of lack of money. We're shutting it down because nobody wants to take care of it and leaving it abandoned makes us look bad
#3 Pocket - I fully agree, I don't want to shut pocket down so @saywhat2365  - please see if you can find a sollution
#4 Altis Life - I'll talk to battle, see what he has in mind

Follow me on Instagram (i post cool stuff) https://www.instagram.com/toweliewtf/
Psst, got a Nintendo Switch? Add me -> SW-6574-1607-3796

Arias0

Quote from: Towelie on Jun 04, 2016, 09:05 AMI'd like to clarify some things

#1 Hunger Games / Parkour
- It's not easy to just move these to world3 on survival like you said we should. These servers not only will add maps which cause lag but each also needs a fuck ton of plugins to work and there is no way in hell im adding 10 more plugins on survival for like hunger games which nobody would play anyway
#2 Lost Islands
- We're not shutting down lost because of lack of money. We're shutting it down because nobody wants to take care of it and leaving it abandoned makes us look bad
#3 Pocket - I fully agree, I don't want to shut pocket down so @saywhat2365  - please see if you can find a sollution
#4 Altis Life - I'll talk to battle, see what he has in mind
Cutting off servers that are basically dead is a good idea imo. Focus on something like prison/fractions or modded servers.

Lucy_23x

You could uh, try and make the dead servers into a new type of server .. Which may interest people

Quote from: sparkydeathcap on Feb 17, 2016, 04:07 AMand also; how old are you? I've always imagined you as like a old irish man that drinks whiskey and screams at people to get off his lawn while sitting on a bench in the park. But I'm pretty sure that's not the case because if it was: 1. you're a pedophile and 2. you're a pedophile

Towelie

hunger games went bye-bye. I killed it today.
Copen... well let's just say he's either dead or alive and just decided to not answer to me for some reason...

Follow me on Instagram (i post cool stuff) https://www.instagram.com/toweliewtf/

Fractalion

Quote from: Towelie on Jun 04, 2016, 09:36 AMhunger games went bye-bye. I killed it today.
Copen... well let's just say he's either dead or alive and just decided to not answer to me for some reason...

Quote from: copen6199 on May 11, 2016, 12:21 AMI have been gone quite some time now and i am going to give some updates on where i have been.

My future wife was involved in a car accident and with out going into to much detail, she wasn't able to work due to her injuries but i had to pay all the bills with my check only. I ended up selling my computer, laptop, ps3, ect ect and get a second job to make sure the bills were paid. She is getting better and going back to work but at this point i cant afford to replace my computer and probably wont for some time. I will use my work laptop to start checking in more and checking on the staff team but it wont be like it was in the past. I do have skype on my phone but dont expect a response unless your lucky.

Copen

The last thing he posted.

Towelie

Aware of that, this was way after that.

XxRagingKillerX

@Towelie ill take care of it if it means it wont go by by all we need to do to get players is update a few things i have spoke to a lot of people they think the same thing
Lost is a server that can only get better :) <3
Rage
Raging
Craigo

Brightpkz

I can volunteer for Lost Islands if you really need me to help. Although I am focusing on Survival, I feel like I'm a quick learner and could probably help Lost Islands.

Call me Bond. Bright Bond.
Elytra Creds to Cayko <33

BattleAxium

Jun 04, 2016, 01:29 PM #64 Last Edit: Jun 04, 2016, 01:47 PM by BattleAxium
For the people saying we should remove Altis Life: It hasn't been released or given a proper chance in this community.

Not only that, but removing all of the Minecraft servers suggested here won't really change the cost per month since most of them are run on the same box.

But, in order to focus on the more popular Minecraft servers and other gameservers in general. These servers should be removed.

Reason: I've never seen any of them reach their max slots and probably never will. Wild West and MineQwest look practically the same. So, I would pick one of them to run, not both. Creative has been tried many times in this community but hasn't worked out. Lost Islands seems like it's too unstable and might as well close unfortunately. Parkour should merge with Survival W3 as many people mentioned above.

Lucy_23x

Quote from: BattleAxium on Jun 04, 2016, 01:29 PMFor the people saying we should remove Altis Life: It hasn't even been released or even given a proper chance in this community. Not only that, but removing all of the Minecraft servers suggested here won't really change the cost per month since most of them are run on the same box.

But, in order to focus on the more popular Minecraft servers and other gameservers in general. These servers should be removed.

Reason: I've never seen any of them reach their max slots and probably never will.

I like playing wildwest though I haven't been on it as much recently, and I do like creative too, plus I'd expect you'd make @Dreamξηder ღ cry if you took away creative

dbpeanut01

I think we should keep lost islands alive because of how many people still play it. All it needs is a few updates and some adjustments and the server might just become alive again!

BattleAxium

Quote from: dbpeanut01 on Jun 04, 2016, 01:34 PMI think we should keep lost islands alive because of how many people still play it. All it needs is a few updates and some adjustments and the server might just become alive again!

From what dpa has told me, it crashes like 500x a day, and it sounds like it isn't being given the attention it needs. I remember running BnB (Bread and Butter) which was also a mod-pack server made for SFT, and we had to work countless hours, putting together mods that were compatible and played nice with each other. Not sure if they used those mods and just renamed the pack or what since I haven't played the server.

eye_nine

I agree with the list, except PE. There's an active amount of players there. Thing is, the others are all empty pretty much.

Britney1177

I think it would be a good idea to move parkour to the survival server. I started playing it a few weeks ago and I love it (even though I'm a super nub) and I've seen a bunch of different people on it just on at different times and not all at once. It's really fun and enjoyable, and great to play with friends and rage while you get rekt. Like when someone trolls you by blocking the top of the ladder when you're trying to get back up *cough* @JohnOaklyjohn *cough*. I think more people on survival will actually play the courses if it was on there because they would be getting survival uptime, which is what people want since they want to rank up which gives them something to do while they're bored or have nothing else to do. I will be really sad to see parkour go because I love the courses and the memories I have there so I'm hoping it can be saved somehow.

That's America's Ass
Survival Elder

iLaxrv10

DuanetheDino and I will be helping @saywhat2365 with Pocket Edition more then just being Admins now. We have a healthy community AND staff team run by myself, @DuanetheDino and @Super_Boox . @Towelie
Ex-Pixelmon Manager
Ex-Survival, Lost Islands, Pocket Edition Elder
Ex-WildWest, B-Team, Factions, Prison Owner

RallyReaper

The arma 3 server probably don't really get any players. I'd say ditching that may be a good idea. Idk about rust.

But I think if you plan on keeping arma 3's server or rusts, you should get someone who know's how it runs. But don't actually own the game or something so there's no chance of it being ruined.

Stoovs

Quote from: RallyReaper on Jun 04, 2016, 02:59 PMThe arma 3 server probably don't really get any players. I'd say ditching that may be a good idea. Idk about rust.

But I think if you plan on keeping arma 3's server or rusts, you should get someone who know's how it runs. But don't actually own the game or something so there's no chance of it being ruined.

I don't mean to be rude, but what?

To comment on both things you just said, both Arma 3 and Rust have very active communities, especially Arma 3's RPing community is strong.

As for getting someone to run the servers that doesn't actually play the game just seems like an outrageous thing to say. How is one supposed to run a game and understand what a community might want with regards to change if they haven't experienced why a change should be made?

I understand that you think that Admin abuse might be a thing, but regardless, if the community becomes large, multiple Admins would be needed, and saying that the Admins can't go in game and fix problems and issues just makes no sense whatsoever.
"There are some that only employ words for the purpose of disguising their thoughts" -Voltaire

BattleAxium

Jun 04, 2016, 03:41 PM #73 Last Edit: Jun 04, 2016, 03:47 PM by BattleAxium
Quote from: RallyReaper on Jun 04, 2016, 02:59 PMThe arma 3 server probably don't really get any players. I'd say ditching that may be a good idea. Idk about rust.

I'm going to put this bluntly, but you clearly have no clue what you're talking about. The ArmA 3 server isn't even released yet so how you have an opinion on that is beyond me. As for the Rust server which is currently being managed by Izzdaer, still gets a few players and it's fairly new to the community. Lastly, to your point about getting someone to run the server but doesn't own the game is the same as having someone run the server with less than 100 hours on the game. They will have no clue what they're doing and how it impacts the players or server. So, I highly recommend you rethink what you just said as it's completely false and irrational.

Lucazade13

My opinion on this matter is fairly simple.

Everything that has below an average of 10 people should be shut down.
(We can always save the configs and maps, so that when there is more interest / active owners they can be re released quickly)

So this does include Creative, Parkour, Wildwest and Mineqwest in the shutdown list
(Leave Rust and Lost islands for now, as they have some potential)

Shut these down in order of need.
So if we need to cut down on 2 servers, shutdown the lowest 2 and work your way up the list. However it is clear these servers all have their players and their staff that we will have to cater for on our other servers.

However, I do believe we need to come up with new premium shop ideas for our bigger servers, as these shutdowns may cause us to loose a few of our donors.

Survival Elite
Just your average energy drink