Mar 28, 2024, 10:26 AM

News:

Have a Super Fun Time!

[Debate] What games should we move to?

Started by Towelie, Jul 06, 2016, 05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towelie

Jul 06, 2016, 05:58 PM Last Edit: Jul 07, 2016, 06:15 PM by Towelie
This is not a giveaway! I have simply placed it here so it doesn't fade from the first page as it's an important topic.

With Mojang pretty much being out to kill smaller servers in order to (and this is a personal opinion) make money from realms and from contracts with huge servers, I think it's time to move away from Minecraft. I'm not saying today, now, I'm just saying plan ahead for when Minecraft is just no longer feasible / possible.
This is very much a doomsday exercise. One which might very well happen one day.
So far from what I talked to DPA:

- Terraria - what's up with that? still being updated? Could be a decent replacement
- MineTest - sort of too buggy / feels like Minecraft classic but would do if things end badly...
- Space Station 13 (dpa is looking into it)
- 7 Days To Die (to be investigated what the status of it is nowadays)
- Don't Starve Together (need to investigate)

NOTE: This is for games that we don't already host.
Feel free to come up with more.

PS: For SFT to continue, we need to think of a way to make AT LEAST $100 / month (and that is the number which would mean we kill everything other than the web server, including survival/pixelmon - not saying it's gonna happen just worth taking in consideration as a scenario)

Follow me on Instagram (i post cool stuff) https://www.instagram.com/toweliewtf/
Psst, got a Nintendo Switch? Add me -> SW-6574-1607-3796

Towelie

My brief experience with MineTest (I spent ~1 hour playing with it today):
- It's basically very similar to how MinecraftClassic was (if any of you remember).
There are no mobs, no crafting, no minecarts or other fancy stuff. Just blocks / flowers / mushrooms / trees and that's about it.
There are however mods (and the beauty of this is that they are server-side mods so i can add them to the server and clients can join without needing them) which do add (albeit very buggy) mobs and other amenities.

It's a good start but it's probably going to be impossible to host a proffesional server with antigriefing and so on.
Could work as a last ditch effort though, just not something I'd focus our efforts fully on right now.

The only way I'd see MineTest working is if by some magic the server owners all got fed up with Mojang's shit and decided to back MineTest instead (and automatically services such as Buycraft and so on would begin supporting MineTest)

Follow me on Instagram (i post cool stuff) https://www.instagram.com/toweliewtf/

arch8ic

~Terraria's facing it's last few updates. It's been an extremely good game, and one I can come back to time and time again, but it's already had it's last major update (i'm assuming). Luckily, less updates = less broken plugins, and the game has challenging enough content to the point that it's still very playable. It could work.
~Minetest. I wouldn't rely on this too much. If it's buggy, it's likely not gonna work out too well. I'm not sure how this would pan out, but I don't feel very solid on it.
~I know nothing about SS13, so I'll follow dap and look in to it as well.

Now, GMod still has a pretty okay playerbase. If we wanna branch out from minecraft more, I'd say getting that TTT server up would help. That was a very well loved server.
SFT Lost Islands Engineer!

Doctor_Thanos

Jul 06, 2016, 06:07 PM #3 Last Edit: Jul 06, 2016, 06:12 PM by Thanos
I personally think a few updates to MineSet will be necessary but we should also take into consideration that we will most likely need to make our own plugins.

I'm going to be testing MineTest and its modifications.

Edit:
If updates don't come urgently we will not be able to work that out....

Towelie

Quote from: arch8ic on Jul 06, 2016, 06:04 PMNow, GMod still has a pretty okay playerbase. If we wanna branch out from minecraft more, I'd say getting that TTT server up would help. That was a very well loved server.
My problem with TTT / Rust / etc and games like that is that they don't allow the needed level of communication for players to form a community. When you're busy killing each other all the time, it's hard to make friends and care about servers.
Also, it's not really possible to make that server "your own" (aka one that people won't find anywhere but on your server)

Doctor_Thanos

Just a suggestion. What about a GTA V server, if there is such a thing.

arch8ic

Quote from: Thanos on Jul 06, 2016, 06:15 PMJust a suggestion. What about a GTA V server, if there is such a thing.
Doesn't exist. The sessions are hosted by Rockstar themselves, and I think a majority of GTA V players here would be on different platforms anyway.
SFT Lost Islands Engineer!

BattleAxium

Just throwing ArmA 3 Altis Life out there ;)

Izzdaer

Jul 06, 2016, 06:21 PM #8 Last Edit: Jul 06, 2016, 06:35 PM by Izzdaer
1. Yeah GTA isnt a personal server thing.

2. I agree with some of your suggestion being popular, but i think we already have servers similar to those and whilst they are getting popular they dont bring more people to the community here or to the forums ebcause they arent " Community Games ". which is what we need to be looking for. Altis whilst being a good server game, is similar enough to what we have now @BattleAxium , we need community and creative games. It has alot of communication and roleplay, i agree, but any game with a heave base of pvp even if zoned is never going to be as good as a regulated game like minecraft.

Stoovs

Altis Life is very much so a community game in the fact that there is a lot of socialization. With proper management and no-pvp zones, etc., the game could very much be one of the "community centric" games that we're looking for.
"There are some that only employ words for the purpose of disguising their thoughts" -Voltaire

Chocobo123456

Now i wouldn't mind a terraria server at all in fact i think it would be great! I just will be a little sad to see pixelmon go if it does happen.

Fractalion

I was going to suggest Terraria, but I decided against it for a couple reasons:

-The lack of a Z axis means you're going to run into other people's stuff very quickly. (Be that old mining tunnels or buildings)
-The lack of an infinite world means that once the server fills up a bit, it's done.

I suppose we could come up with some sort of different gamemode that would make Terraria viable as a server to host, but I feel like the base gamemode can only support a small handful of people before things starting feeling really cramped.

BattleAxium

Quote from: Stoovs on Jul 06, 2016, 06:26 PMAltis Life is very much so a community game in the fact that there is a lot of socialization. With proper management and no-pvp zones, etc., the game could very much be one of the "community centric" games that we're looking for.

I agree, I would make it but I really can't dedicate the time and effort it deserves. Which is one of the reasons I turned down the access Towelie gave me for it.

Towelie

Quote from: BattleAxium on Jul 06, 2016, 06:35 PM
Quote from: Stoovs on Jul 06, 2016, 06:26 PMAltis Life is very much so a community game in the fact that there is a lot of socialization. With proper management and no-pvp zones, etc., the game could very much be one of the "community centric" games that we're looking for.

I agree, I would make it but I really can't dedicate the time and effort it deserves. Which is one of the reasons I turned down the access Towelie gave me for it.
That and we have much too conflicting personalities even though in the end, we both want the best.

BattleAxium

Jul 06, 2016, 06:41 PM #14 Last Edit: Jul 06, 2016, 06:45 PM by BattleAxium
Quote from: Towelie on Jul 06, 2016, 06:38 PM
Quote from: BattleAxium on Jul 06, 2016, 06:35 PM

That and we have much too conflicting personalities even though in the end, we both want the best.

Wasn't even going to bother mentioning that since it's blatantly obvious.

Sparkle_Sun

BattleAxium

Quote from: Sparkle_Sun on Jul 06, 2016, 06:43 PM7 Days To Die! :D

Already had a server. A couple times I think. Died out. Wouldn't mind seeing it tried again.

Fire_Lord_Nero

Terraria is a good game but wont last long. It's really not like minecraft where you can play to survive for countless days. Once you beat all the bosses and have op items, everything becomes repetitive and not fun. I have played 70-80 hours in the past two weeks and im almost done it(meaning completely beat the game). And as far as i know, you had atleast two terraria servers in the past that died out. Even when i went on them there was no one on.

CallOfTheElements

Love terraria, awesome idea.

I think we should set up some official guilds on smaller non-server based games like Guns of icarus and planetside 2.

Overwatch??

IPwnCreeps

Terraria is a great game and goes on sale extremely often. I think its definitely a good option, but maps aren't infinite and I see little to no ways of monetizing it. I could personally get end game items and beat practically every boss in around a week, I don't see why anyone would buy items. So there would have to be something else you could monetize. Reserved slots to the server if it gets popular maybe.

Izzdaer

Quote from: LavishGaming on Jul 06, 2016, 07:09 PMLove terraria, awesome idea.

I think we should set up some official guilds on smaller non-server based games like Guns of icarus and planetside 2.

Overwatch??

Clans for things like planetside are great for community, i play actively and am in one myself, but have absolutely 0 potential for monetization.

MrEpicWonder

Quote from: LavishGaming on Jul 06, 2016, 07:09 PMOverwatch??

Nearly 200% sure Overwatch wouldn't work, unless there are clans or guilds etc on battle net, even then, I know that towel and I play on Xbox, others maybe PlayStation and PC, unlike some PC only games, where its compatible to form a community and server in a game for pc
Quote from: Towelie on Dec 16, 2015, 09:12 AMI'd still like to see the nativity scene re-enacted in minecraft while I eat popcorn and mock Christians
Quote from: Towelie on Jan 17, 2016, 08:45 AMSending me any inappropriate pictures will cause you to get banned (unless you are a female and 18+)

Jyncs

Quote from: Towelie on Jul 06, 2016, 06:07 PM
Quote from: arch8ic on Jul 06, 2016, 06:04 PMNow, GMod still has a pretty okay playerbase. If we wanna branch out from minecraft more, I'd say getting that TTT server up would help. That was a very well loved server.
My problem with TTT / Rust / etc and games like that is that they don't allow the needed level of communication for players to form a community. When you're busy killing each other all the time, it's hard to make friends and care about servers.
Also, it's not really possible to make that server "your own" (aka one that people won't find anywhere but on your server)

Actually the next update with Rust will hopefully help with helping others out. With the XP system players can earn XP from other players using tools they crafted. That is the basic of it, it gets deeper as the items they craft with the resources they got from that tool you crafted you also get XP.

In a sense why kill someone when you can give them tools to use to give you more XP.

I'm hoping this new update and the mods I have planned for it will attract more players.

jackie_gaming

i personally think that minecraft was the hottest game ever- a year ago. so branching out would be a great idea. here are a few ieas
worldcraft      like minecraft with severs but better graphics hard controls and not many people love it.
terraria         good idea but will burn quickly

or you could do a fundraiser asking for a small amount of money to keep this community alive because there are many fans who would jump off a bridge before shutting down sft servers. an you may get a "small loan of a million dollars" well maybe not that much,but you should try it!

calfrokrill

Gmod? Sounds good.

Roblox wouldn't appeal to older players.

Space Engineers? (Requires dx11 card though, I have dx9 though,  dx9 compatibility is an available beta)

Tf2 though our old server died out, it has has tonnes of updates now. Wouldn't mind givin' it a crack again.

Hoovies4Lyfe