34 (82.9%)
No.
2 (4.9%)
I don't know.
5 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 27

ochoaj

Feel free to comment below with your opinion.  :steve:
"Whoever would overthrow the liberty of a nation must begin by subduing the freeness of speech."
― Benjamin Franklin

omelott

Sep 08, 2016, 06:05 AM #1 Last Edit: Sep 08, 2016, 06:27 AM by omelott
*sigh*

I can't think of a reply..

Nubbun

why do I feel like this is a meme that I don't get? o.O

\(◎o◎)/

TheStarNomad✯

Yes it is real, the climate is always changing no matter what we do as the earth's rotation slows down allowing the planet to wobble on its axis, and the moon spirels further and further away from the earth.

Long time StarNomad

td998

I don't understand how people can think global warming isn't real when evidence of it is everywhere.

This isn't meant to be offensive but it's the best example I can think of...
My dad's desktop background is a meme of the titantic sinking. So when one end of a ship sinks, the other is raised. There is a text box above the raised end of the ship and it says, "If we're sinking why are we hundreds of feet in the air?" with the words "Republicans on climate change" at the bottom.

Bakonator

How is it not real...? Please, someone, explain...

American_Walrus

The Earth has always and will always change. I believe the vast majority of the Earth's climate change is due to naturally occurring processes our world goes through. Like puberty.

Zesty

NO IT IS JUST A THEORY! A CONSPIRACY THEORY!
Greed may not be good, but it's not bad, either. You humans think it's for money and power. But everyone wants something they don't have.
Survival is the only way. Live on and learn more.
Even when our eyes are closes, there's a whole world out there that lives outside ourselves and our dreams.

SnipeMasterShark

I had an argument this on a social media site in the past. link for link, study for study, we fought, and it ended up nowhere.

Quote from: td998 on Sep 08, 2016, 10:27 PMI don't understand how people can think global warming isn't real when evidence of it is everywhere.

My dad's desktop background is a meme of the titantic sinking. So when one end of a ship sinks, the other is raised. There is a text box above the raised end of the ship and it says, "If we're sinking why are we hundreds of feet in the air?" with the words "Republicans on climate change" at the bottom.

I challenge you to research this yourself instead of parroting it, or at least post a few links for evidence instead of saying "it exists". But based on this comment I am guessing you are also from the USA. Let me ask you this then: Lets say its real, fixable, we really did it, spent all the money, ruined most of our productivity etc and went 100% green. Well, the rest of the world is industrializing, and will soon overtake any impact we had, while driving us into the dust.

TLDR,

http://climate.nasa.gov/climate_resources/9/    only 100 years out of how many billion? how confident are we? I vote garbage.

More interested in this study, might actually look into it myself:

http://www.longrangeweather.com/global_temperatures.htm

ochoaj

Quote from: td998 on Sep 08, 2016, 10:27 PMI don't understand how people can think global warming isn't real when evidence of it is everywhere.

literally, best dad ever.
"Whoever would overthrow the liberty of a nation must begin by subduing the freeness of speech."
― Benjamin Franklin

ochoaj

Quote from: QuadKaiden|Yuggy on Sep 09, 2016, 02:42 AMNO IT IS JUST A THEORY! A CONSPIRACY THEORY!
i don't know if you're being sarcastic or not ._.
― Benjamin Franklin

American_Walrus

Quote from: ochoaj on Sep 09, 2016, 03:19 AM
Quote from: QuadKaiden|Yuggy on Sep 09, 2016, 02:42 AMNO IT IS JUST A THEORY! A CONSPIRACY THEORY!
i don't know if you're being sarcastic or not ._.
If you're not certain if someone is being sarcastic or not on the interwebs, they're being sarcastic

Bakonator

Quote from: American_Walrus on Sep 09, 2016, 02:18 AMThe Earth has always and will always change. I believe the vast majority of the Earth's climate change is due to naturally occurring processes our world goes through. Like puberty.

Since the existence of human and industry, the Earth has been warming up really, really fast, much faster than its natural rate.

American_Walrus

Quote from: Bakonator on Sep 09, 2016, 11:13 AM
Quote from: American_Walrus on Sep 09, 2016, 02:18 AMThe Earth has always and will always change. I believe the vast majority of the Earth's climate change is due to naturally occurring processes our world goes through. Like puberty.

Since the existence of human and industry, the Earth has been warming up really, really fast, much faster than its natural rate.
As much as I don't want to have a debate with a random person online, I'll just (and only) reply with this: We don't know the "natural rate". The Earth has a tendency to heat up and cool down, and we honestly don't have a pattern or "rate" to follow. An Ice Age in early Paleolithic times allowed people/our ancestors to migrate across the Siberian/Alaskan land bridge. Whenever the Ice Age stopped, the land bridge got engulfed by water due to melting glaciers. However, letting plants and animals flourish and letting humans finally make Agricultural villages, Chiefdoms, and eventually vast civilizations such as Mesopotamia or Egypt. What I'm saying is that we haven't experienced nearly enough of this strange cooling down and heating up to determine a "rate", pattern, or a scientific law.

However, I do believe that humans contribute to ozone damage, thus making the protective layer less protective. Although we do, and I acknowledge that, damage our own lovely ozone layer, I still believe this is a natural process that we have yet to make a pattern for.

td998

Quote from: SnipeMasterShark on Sep 09, 2016, 02:51 AMI had an argument this on a social media site in the past. link for link, study for study, we fought, and it ended up nowhere.

I challenge you to research this yourself instead of parroting it, or at least post a few links for evidence instead of saying "it exists". But based on this comment I am guessing you are also from the USA. Let me ask you this then: Lets say its real, fixable, we really did it, spent all the money, ruined most of our productivity etc and went 100% green. Well, the rest of the world is industrializing, and will soon overtake any impact we had, while driving us into the dust.

TLDR,

http://climate.nasa.gov/climate_resources/9/    only 100 years out of how many billion? how confident are we? I vote garbage.

I don't need to research it lol. It's like searching 2+2=4. It isn't a myth, it isn't a lie, it isn't some conspiracy. This is also addressed to you walrus:
Energy doesn't disappear. Energy is only converted. The Earth will warm up over time regardless of human activity, but since industrialization we have sped up the process beyond 10 fold. All our energy usage produces heat, and as far as our technology goes, we can't take that heat and turn it into anything else. We can't cool it down. Your computer, your body, your car, EVERYTHING produces and puts out heat into the environment. Since the IR we've been spreading energy world wide. There isn't a country in the world (besides like Antarctica) where you won't find a car. It's a known fact that cities, which use the most energy in a concentrated area, are up to 2-3 degrees warmer than their surroundings. Whenever heat is released, where does it go? It doesn't just disappear. That's physics, chemistry, science. I'm sure you all have been in your room on a summer day with your computer producing so much heat it's making your room stuffy and unbearable. It'll take longer to heat up a room than it will to heat up a closet, a pantry, etc. The earth is so large that our heat output isn't really noticed, until things start happening like the ice caps start melting. It's just common sense. The reason the heat will cool down is because it spreads out, like if you spray something in the air. But the particles of the spray aren't gone, they just spread out. Spray enough, and you'll notice it. We're starting to notice the consequences of using so much energy and producing so much heat. It's ignorant to discount the basic laws of science and something we know for fact in the place of "well, it could just be natural we're not really sure." Just look around you. Most places where you'll find "evidence" that climate change isn't real can't be trusted. There is so many reputable sources of proof that climate change IS real that it IS a threat and that we DO need to do something about it. The proof of its existance FAR outweighs any kind of attempt to discount it. It's called confirmation bias. You ignore what disproves what youbelieve and only pay attention to what proves it, even if it's illogical, not from a good source, etc.

This was all a big late night ramble. I'm aware that I probably repeated myself a lot, I was just checking the forums before going to bed before typing this.

Bakonator

Quote from: td998 on Sep 12, 2016, 03:17 AM
Quote from: SnipeMasterShark on Sep 09, 2016, 02:51 AMI had an argument this on a social media site in the past. link for link, study for study, we fought, and it ended up nowhere.

TLDR,

I don't need to research it lol. It's like searching 2+2=4. It isn't a myth, it isn't a lie, it isn't some conspiracy. This is also addressed to you walrus:
Energy doesn't disappear. Energy is only converted. The Earth will warm up over time regardless of human activity, but since industrialization we have sped up the process beyond 10 fold. All our energy usage produces heat, and as far as our technology goes, we can't take that heat and turn it into anything else. We can't cool it down. Your computer, your body, your car, EVERYTHING produces and puts out heat into the environment. Since the IR we've been spreading energy world wide. There isn't a country in the world (besides like Antarctica) where you won't find a car. It's a known fact that cities, which use the most energy in a concentrated area, are up to 2-3 degrees warmer than their surroundings. Whenever heat is released, where does it go? It doesn't just disappear. That's physics, chemistry, science. I'm sure you all have been in your room on a summer day with your computer producing so much heat it's making your room stuffy and unbearable. It'll take longer to heat up a room than it will to heat up a closet, a pantry, etc. The earth is so large that our heat output isn't really noticed, until things start happening like the ice caps start melting. It's just common sense. The reason the heat will cool down is because it spreads out, like if you spray something in the air. But the particles of the spray aren't gone, they just spread out. Spray enough, and you'll notice it. We're starting to notice the consequences of using so much energy and producing so much heat. It's ignorant to discount the basic laws of science and something we know for fact in the place of "well, it could just be natural we're not really sure." Just look around you. Most places where you'll find "evidence" that climate change isn't real can't be trusted. There is so many reputable sources of proof that climate change IS real that it IS a threat and that we DO need to do something about it. The proof of its existance FAR outweighs any kind of attempt to discount it. It's called confirmation bias. You ignore what disproves what youbelieve and only pay attention to what proves it, even if it's illogical, not from a good source, etc.

This was all a big late night ramble. I'm aware that I probably repeated myself a lot, I was just checking the forums before going to bed before typing this.

Holy cheez-it and macaroons, long post.

ochoaj

Quote from: td998 on Sep 12, 2016, 03:17 AM

TLDR,

thank you so much. you put into words what i feel exactly.  :laugh:
― Benjamin Franklin

BloodQueenRazlc

Climate Change=Eventually no snow 😭
I like meh snow❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️

Bakonator

Quote from: BloodQueenRazlc on Sep 12, 2016, 10:28 AMClimate Change=Eventually no snow 😭

Well.....it will be until your great great great great great great great great grandchildren for that to apply at its fullest. For now, the changes aren't enough to completely remove snow from our winter so yay :)

td998

Quote from: BloodQueenRazlc on Sep 12, 2016, 10:28 AMClimate Change=Eventually no snow 😭

Climate change, global warming, can actually cause the world to be cold, which is why instead of global warming people prefer the term "climate change." I'm not sure why exactly, but people tend to use that as evidence that it doesn't exist. I.e. my dad's titanic meme

American_Walrus

Good point td, and I agree. Energy cannot disappear, that is basic chemistry. Large power plants, cities, and even mass groups of people contribute to this. Where does the heat go? It doesn't. It's trapped by our atmosphere. You raise valid points and I'm willing to rewrite my theory as to what is happening: Global warming is caused majorly by both natural climate change and the mass-population, technology/power plants, etc. I honestly have no idea which of the two causes more, but I know for sure that it is happening.

These crazy wackjobs who claim everything is a conspiracy and that the government is lying about global warming/climate change are sooo mistaken. This happens with everything. Vaccinations, Global Warming, other major topics of scientific discussion.

Bakonator

Sep 12, 2016, 11:46 PM #21 Last Edit: Sep 13, 2016, 12:00 AM by Bakonator
Quote from: American_Walrus on Sep 12, 2016, 11:32 PMGood point td, and I agree. Energy cannot disappear, that is basic chemistry. Large power plants, cities, and even mass groups of people contribute to this. Where does the heat go? It doesn't. It's trapped by our atmosphere. You raise valid points and I'm willing to rewrite my theory as to what is happening: Global warming is caused majorly by both natural climate change and the mass-population, technology/power plants, etc. I honestly have no idea which of the two causes more, but I know for sure that it is happening.

These crazy wackjobs who claim everything is a conspiracy and that the government is lying about global warming/climate change are sooo mistaken. This happens with everything. Vaccinations, Global Warming, other major topics of scientific discussion.

Vaccination is still something we have yet to truly be able to contain. Vaccination prevents many deadly and once virtually inevitable diseases and saved countless lives, but with this it also means we have out-paced one of our natural population decliner: Disease. With this, we continue to grow, and at a faster pace over time.

What I am saying is, vaccine helped saved countless generations from contagious, severe and lethal diseases, but was it useful or a malediction?

American_Walrus

Yes, vaccinations were/are useful. Once the smallpox vaccine was introduced, the disease was completely eradicated. Smallpox is the only disease to be wiped off of the plant. Measles outbreaks arose in 1990 Japan as soon as people started easing up on their vaccines. Search it up. Vaccines helped us so much. What part of them would be a malediction?

Sorry to hijack this post

TheOfficialMiner

Seeing as this is starting to be a controversial topic, I'm going to go ahead and lock this.

Survival Specialist | B-Team Specialist | Prison Adm in