Mar 29, 2024, 06:48 AM

News:

Like our community? Please +1 our modpack here

[lost islands] new player brainstorming

Started by blalp, Sep 22, 2016, 05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blalp

Post I am looking in this post, I am looking for ideas. When a new player joins how do how they know that they need to do /kit starter and /is create? I am aware that ~90% of new players dont read the rules. Having someone greets them is currently the best option, yet when few players are online this hardly works. A short screen when they first join perhaps? A chat message? Looking for ideas. Just want more players to experience the fun and acceptance that i did.
Have a fantastic day!

MistakleinYT

When ever someone joins it just says that "player" joined the game. Most of the players in game already think its another returning player so, there should be a welcome text saying (welcome "player" to the lost islands server!) then once we say welcome we will have to say use kit starter etc. And you should do the short screen as well just in case they don't listen.

ceddy24

How about making new players spawn in the modpack and server basics area?

blalp

Quote from: ceddy24 on Sep 22, 2016, 12:31 PMHow about making new players spawn in the modpack and server basics area?
problem is, few people read the signs, and the /is create and /kit starter is already on the rules board.
Have a fantastic day!

Aymaneto

Automatically spawning a book with those in it for new players might work

blalp

Quote from: Aymaneto on Sep 22, 2016, 01:27 PMAutomatically spawning a book with those in it for new players might work just fine
If it summarized at the front, maybe. I heard on discord that a player didn't read the rules book on survival because it was too long.
Have a fantastic day!

blalp

Quote from: MistakleinYT on Sep 22, 2016, 11:12 AMWhen ever someone joins it just says that "player" joined the game. Most of the players in game already think its another returning player so, there should be a welcome text saying (welcome "player" to the lost islands server!) then once we say welcome we will have to say use kit starter etc. And you should do the short screen as well just in case they don't listen.
We used to have this, and I will see if we can again. My main concern is for when other players are offline.
Have a fantastic day!

Rose2247

I almost feel like there should be a reward for new players, like if they read all the rules and can name a few we give them some food or something else that can help.
To Hyrule Field, I g-Oh wait...Is that a lynel? NO THANKS!

blalp

Quote from: Rose2247 on Sep 22, 2016, 06:23 PMI almost feel like there should be a reward for new players, like if they read all the rules and can name a few we give them some food or something else that can help.
i like that idea. Like a random quiz, and it gives them i little money and an item from a donation chest or something.
Have a fantastic day!

Tyler7733

Quote from: blalp on Sep 22, 2016, 01:29 PM
Quote from: Aymaneto on Sep 22, 2016, 01:27 PMAutomatically spawning a book with those in it for new players might work just fine
If it summarized at the front, maybe. I heard on discord that a player didn't read the rules book on survival because it was too long.
Trust me, there is almost no way this will work, when I first joined the bteam serer I thought I was being ignored, 2 weeks later when looking through my inventory I found a book that I originally thought was a modded book for helping you trough a mod, but then I read the title and thought about how helpful that book would have been 2 weeks earlier before I knew about /sh. Plus, my guess is people are going to want to try to take what they think is the most direct route to cutting down a tree, and that often ends up being to ask everyone online... My suggestion is make a floating sign right in front of the spawn point that says "use /is create to start your island, use /kit starter after you make your island for materials" by this, I don't mean a sign 10 or more blocks away, I mean a sign that is 1 block in front of where your head is as you first join the server. Not only will it be almost impossible to miss it, but people often read a single lone sign(especially one floating in mid-air) before they even consider reading the books in their inventory.
You must accept the fundamental truth of reality, Lost = Life!!

blalp

Quote from: Tyler7733 on Sep 22, 2016, 09:56 PM
Trust me, there is almost no way this will work, when I first joined the bteam serer I thought I was being ignored, 2 weeks later when looking through my inventory I found a book that I originally thought was a modded book for helping you trough a mod, but then I read the title and thought about how helpful that book would have been 2 weeks earlier before I knew about /sh. Plus, my guess is people are going to want to try to take what they think is the most direct route to cutting down a tree, and that often ends up being to ask everyone online... My suggestion is make a floating sign right in front of the spawn point that says "use /is create to start your island, use /kit starter after you make your island for materials" by this, I don't mean a sign 10 or more blocks away, I mean a sign that is 1 block in front of where your head is as you first join the server. Not only will it be almost impossible to miss it, but people often read a single lone sign(especially one floating in mid-air) before they even consider reading the books in their inventory.
One problem i have with this idea: it would be too good and people wouldn't even look around a bit. Not a bad idea.
Have a fantastic day!

Th3RedGamer

Quote from: blalp on Sep 23, 2016, 12:11 AM
One problem i have with this idea: it would be too good and people wouldn't even look around a bit. Not a bad idea.
A giant computercraft monitor with bright fonts, or giant neon letters, maybe flashing to get attention

Tyler7733

Quote from: Th3RedGamer on Sep 23, 2016, 12:28 AM
Quote from: blalp on Sep 23, 2016, 12:11 AM
A giant computercraft monitor with bright fonts, or giant neon letters, maybe flashing to get attention
two parts of this would be very bad for my fps: giant and flashing. A large multi-block can cause a lot of lag, but a giant multi-block that is constantly having its texture changed is going to probably cut my fps in half, maybe down to a quarter of what it was assuming that it doesn't crash me or make me lose connection. If this would be added then I would have to never die in another dimension or do /spawn ever again to have a chance to not crash.

blalp

all the people going to spawn would see this too. Any other ideas on this topic?
Have a fantastic day!

Tyler7733

A colorful message that looks something like this showing up for a new person when they join the server would probably work

***********use /is create to start your island************
       ******use /kit starter after you have started your island for materials******

colorful, meaning something like the old skylord/current ranger rank coloration would probably work

Rose2247

Quote from: Tyler7733 on Oct 27, 2016, 11:45 AMA colorful message that looks something like this showing up for a new person when they join the server would probably work

colorful, meaning something like the old skylord/current ranger rank coloration would probably work

I agree with this but maybe also add a thing about reading the rules too
To Hyrule Field, I g-Oh wait...Is that a lynel? NO THANKS!

blalp

Quote from: Tyler7733 on Oct 27, 2016, 11:45 AMA colorful message that looks something like this showing up for a new person when they join the server would probably work

this would be in front of your face at spawn?
Have a fantastic day!

Tyler7733

Quote from: blalp on Oct 27, 2016, 06:10 PM

That message would be for the chat for people who join the server for the first time. The under-scores are not needed, they are basically just to increase the size of the message to draw more attention to it.

blalp

Quote from: Tyler7733 on Oct 28, 2016, 02:56 AM
Quote from: blalp on Oct 27, 2016, 06:10 PM

That message would be for the chat for people who join the server for the first time. The under-scores are not needed, they are basically just to increase the size of the message to draw more attention to it.
do you think players would look at the chat when they first join? Sometimes they don't respond to messages.
Have a fantastic day!

pjmw2000

Make an automated message pop up to new players. Just an idea :P

blalp

if possible should it create the island for them and do the kits? Then go to spawn? If there was a choice to have it run commands for them when the join the first time, what would they be? and what would be in chat?
Have a fantastic day!

blalp

Have a fantastic day!

Th3RedGamer

Maybe a message shows in the middle of the screen saying it's welcomes and to read an important book in your inventory, that will be a book of helpful commands and a summary of rules