Mar 28, 2024, 06:01 PM

News:

Like our community? Please +1 our modpack here

Looking for feedback

Started by Dpa1991, Jan 19, 2017, 10:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dpa1991

I decided to ask you guys for feedback (following Towelies post) on how I am as a server owner. I am aware of a few problems I have - I'm not really a public person. I tend to just hide behind a curtain and do stuff. I need to post more and stop taking on so many different projects.

Be as harsh or nice as you want, I can handle it.

DylbertDangle

I think a problem there is, is that there is no feedback from things that have been worked on / suggested. As you said you sidetrack on things and maybe a second hand to help you couldn't hurt if you're really busy or at least some kind of formal plan in a chronological order to keep things on track and making sense. Even as staff I find it hard to figure out what is going on with the future of the server either that or I'm just left out not sure but at least give the average player an outlook at what we have planned and that there is a plan at least somewhat. Which in a sense there sort of is but its currently not ordered at all seeming slightly chaotic.

You work hard on things and that is respectable, a common solution people who think they can take on so many different things like you are doing now opening up multiple projects without really finishing them, would be either:

A: Take it a bit slower orderly and work on something until its complete
B: Get someone else who would love to see SFT / SFT Pixelmon grow as a whole
  Nothing wrong with getting help but don't rush into it like some of the things done seem to be at the moment.

The longevity is great as you have been around for a long time which most of it I haven't been there to see due to the fact I am a new join from just last year, major issues are assessed, and dealt with.  Keeping us from moving backwards i.e that big duplication scare which was dealt with on multiple occasions. But we need some stuff to get the ball rolling things to hype over that can be laid out in an order that will keep players on the ball wanting to see what happens and wanting to stick around as things are developed.

Keep up the great work :^) , can't wait to see where SFT Pixelmon is taken in these next few months which will be crucial to its existence and development.

Dpa1991

Quote from: Prince O Whales on Jan 19, 2017, 11:07 PMEven as staff I find it hard to figure out what is going on with the future of the server either that or I'm just left out not sure but at least give the average player an outlook at what we have planned and that there is a plan at least somewhat.

I beleive this part stems off of me not having a big public presence and people being afraid to approach me. I've also had an unusually busy month this last month or so (As you can see by my topic Here)

I've posted a few times though about what the plans for pix is. It isnt going to be easy. This is unlike any update we've ever had and changes the entire platform we use to host our servers.

We currently operate Pixelmon on two dead platforms. Cauldron has since shutdown due to the DMCA and our Pixelmon version is no longer supported. To update past our current version, we have to start from scratch and make an entirely new server. This means all of our current plugins are no longer usable and we have to find alternatives.

For the longest time, an update wasnt even possible -at all- due to a bit of code in the pixelmon mod itself that prevented it from functioning if it detected the Technic platform to which the developers claimed was just an "incompatibility". This has since been sorted and now actual progress can start on moving to a new version.

The kind of work this will take, I can't simply find a helper -- this requires complete access to the server, meaning only Me/Towelie/Fear/Saywhat/Bogey can do the work required.

As for things being rushed, what do you feel is being rushed?

DeltaCosmic

I've spent 15 days finding stuff, testing mods and making sure it fits in, but i have constant problems, including it takes awhile for me to just use single player(glitches and opstuff) due to me only having a max 10 fps which is usually at 1 and constantly freezing(also some sicknesses. but those are past)
and recently i lost everything i had due to (im not even sure what happened lol, but my setup is completely gone)

I think a small team of people to help out with this stuff, testing/finding stuff and some who know how to fix problems.
Kinda like this post here https://www.superfuntime.org/forum/index.php/topic,169831.0.html

EDIT: Cannot quote but i am replying to the platform problems

Vote/Donate for SFT's Sake!
Survival Sponsor
Pixelmon Admin
1.7.10 Legendary

Dpa1991

Quote from: DeltaCosmic on Jan 19, 2017, 11:41 PMI think a small team of people to help out with this stuff, testing/finding stuff and some who know how to fix problems.
Kinda like this post here https://www.superfuntime.org/forum/index.php/topic,169831.0.html

I've done something similar to that once - no one took it serious and instead it ended up just being a server people went to for fun.

ninjanoah03

This isn't really a big thing,but I can't like...Check the claim's name or the people who are on a claim if its a chiseled block,so for example chiseled cobblestone,if I right click it,it says "you don't have permission to do that!" So if its possible you can maybe fix that? thanks a bunch!

DylbertDangle

Only thing I believe could not be rushed in a sense is if we incorporate this restart with the update it just seemed strange to wipe everything or possibly almost everything without waiting for a restart combining the two would be a nice fresh start in my opinion but nothing really is being rushed, But what I meant is by that is if you would choose to get some help don't rush into it and just grab anyone xd.  Nothing is really being rushed in a sense.  But if said people are also working on it and its not just you then that is great :^)

Dpa1991

Quote from: Prince O Whales on Jan 20, 2017, 01:14 AMOnly thing I believe could not be rushed in a sense is if we incorporate this restart with the update it just seemed strange to wipe everything or possibly almost everything without waiting for a restart combining the two would be a nice fresh start in my opinion but nothing really is being rushed, But what I meant is by that is if you would choose to get some help don't rush into it and just grab anyone xd.  Nothing is really being rushed in a sense.  But if said people are also working on it and its not just you then that is great :^)

Uhm for the most part it's just me. Fear assisted in patching future versions of pix however, which without that none of this would be possible.

theP

Quote from: Dpa1991 on Jan 19, 2017, 11:49 PM
Quote from: DeltaCosmic on Jan 19, 2017, 11:41 PMI think a small team of people to help out with this stuff, testing/finding stuff and some who know how to fix problems.

I've done something similar to that once - no one took it serious and instead it ended up just being a server people went to for fun.

I think thats why its for Players who Know that this Server needs to get done as soon as possible so pix can live... Not sure How People will Act but i do think they will be helpfull in testing out stuff

Nubbun

Quote from: theP on Jan 20, 2017, 05:56 AM
Quote from: Dpa1991 on Jan 19, 2017, 11:49 PM

I think thats why its for Players who Know that this Server needs to get done as soon as possible so pix can live... Not sure How People will Act but i do think they will be helpfull in testing out stuff
tsk tsk, you don't even know who was on the other team and you already draw to conclusions that they "didn't know that the server needed to get done as soon as possible" ? :3 (joking)

\(◎o◎)/

Towelie

Quote from: Prince O Whales on Jan 19, 2017, 11:07 PMI think a problem there is, is that there is no feedback from things that have been worked on / suggested
I tell him this countless of times. Show your face, communicate with people.
You work a lot on pix/ark/etc. It's not gonna be recognized if you don't poke your head and show people what you did.

It's why I spam the forums with everything I add to Survival.

Follow me on Instagram (i post cool stuff) https://www.instagram.com/toweliewtf/
Psst, got a Nintendo Switch? Add me -> SW-6574-1607-3796

MrChanango

Quote from: Towelie on Jan 20, 2017, 09:24 AMShow your face, communicate with people.
Quote from: Towelie on Jan 20, 2017, 09:24 AMShow your face
I know what you mean, but I think you need to work on this too tow ;)
Owner of the legendary Wood4U!
Founder at ModMart!
Survival Mod 12/30/16 - Survival JMod 11/5/16
Survival Admin 12/23/17 - Survival Manager 7/17/17 -
Survival Elder 3/21/18

Towelie

Quote from: MrChanango on Jan 20, 2017, 12:04 PM
Quote from: Towelie on Jan 20, 2017, 09:24 AMShow your face, communicate with people.
I didn't mean it literally xD

Follow me on Instagram (i post cool stuff) https://www.instagram.com/toweliewtf/
Psst, got a Nintendo Switch? Add me -> SW-6574-1607-3796

MrChanango

Quote from: Towelie on Jan 20, 2017, 02:14 PM
Quote from: MrChanango on Jan 20, 2017, 12:04 PM
I didn't mean it literally xD
xD ;)
Owner of the legendary Wood4U!
Founder at ModMart!
Survival Mod 12/30/16 - Survival JMod 11/5/16
Survival Admin 12/23/17 - Survival Manager 7/17/17 -
Survival Elder 3/21/18

Bosslaya

Quote from: Towelie on Jan 20, 2017, 09:24 AM
Quote from: Prince O Whales on Jan 19, 2017, 11:07 PMI think a problem there is, is that there is no feedback from things that have been worked on / suggested
Show your face, communicate with people.
Oh yea!owner face reveal!
Pocket veteran/Pixelmon Charmander/Survival member

TheRabster1428/Crnge

I have some feedback but I'll say it in the morning using my PC...
Pocket Ex-Moderator
Survival Member
1.7.10 Technologist/Memelord
B-Team Astronomer/Memelord