[Survival] Changes to anticheat

Started by Towelie, Jan 24, 2017, 05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towelie

In order to prevent and catch even more exploits/glitches/modded clients, I have tuned our Anticheat plugin.
However, this may also result in false positives (example: When flying you'll get rubber banded or stuck in the air for a bit. When mining, your blocks will re-appear after breaking them, or it will feel like you are having block lag).
Please report this.

Staff: When you see anticheat alerts telepor to players. See what they are doing. If you see players repeatedly getting tagged for reasons which don't seem to exist (eg: they trigger a block break anticheat error even though they're just breaking a tree), then take a screenshot of the alert, and post in staff board explaining the situation.

Thank you!

Follow me on Instagram (i post cool stuff) https://www.instagram.com/toweliewtf/
Psst, got a Nintendo Switch? Add me -> SW-6574-1607-3796

Doctor_Thanos

TheStarNomad✯

Quote from: Towelie on Jan 24, 2017, 05:03 PMWhen mining, your blocks will re-appear after breaking them, or it will feel like you are having block lag).
I had this a LOT as a Mod, it was anti-cheat this whole time?

Long time StarNomad

Green_Giant

Ughhh, is it really that necessary? I log onto SFT and after 30 seconds i'm already having problems. After thousands of hours of only once seen a person using an illeagal fly and that was years ago, I don't think this sort of precaution is really necessary as for many it's making the game clunky and erghh.

misspiggy95

Melons are love. Melons are life

CleverWhale

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Stoovs

This is the exact opposite of progress for a server. This is the type of thing you'd experience back in 2012 when the servers were actually full and lag was prevalent for that exact reason. Cheating is a not nearly as serious a problem these days and the biggest problem with regards to "cheating" these days is actually X-ray which there is already a process in place to deal with that. Don't like the idea, definitely don't support it.
"There are some that only employ words for the purpose of disguising their thoughts" -Voltaire

spen96

But no one cheats on Minecraft anymore because it's a dead game.

Silly_StringSFT

Quote from: Green_Giant on Jan 24, 2017, 07:27 PMUghhh, is it really that necessary? I log onto SFT and after 30 seconds i'm already having problems. After thousands of hours of only once seen a person using an illeagal fly and that was years ago, I don't think this sort of precaution is really necessary as for many it's making the game clunky and erghh.
Flying is a tough one to get away with even without anticheat, I think this is more about preventing X-ray and hacks like that.

ryan_m004

People are always donating for everyone to have the privilege of flying... I don't see the need to cheat to gain fly illegally  and also don't see the need for these measures if they will cause lag.
Quote from: MrEpicWonder on Dec 25, 2014, 09:21 PMi have such a good memory, an apple, an orange and a tennis ball thrown at my dick.

Towelie

Quote from: ryan_m004 on Jan 25, 2017, 09:14 AMPeople are always donating for everyone to have the privilege of flying... I don't see the need to cheat to gain fly illegally  and also don't see the need for these measures if they will cause lag.
They don't cause lag, the actions of the anticheat which block cheats are misinterpreted as lag.
And while we do give eveyrone privilege of flying, the anticheat is there to limit the speed they are flying on. The faster they fly, the more chunks that are loaded, the more lag for the server in general. So we are limiting this.
Obviously, this is an exhaustive process in which we have to fix each case of false positives

Follow me on Instagram (i post cool stuff) https://www.instagram.com/toweliewtf/

Green_Giant

Quote from: Towelie on Jan 25, 2017, 11:10 AM
Quote from: ryan_m004 on Jan 25, 2017, 09:14 AMPeople are always donating for everyone to have the privilege of flying... I don't see the need to cheat to gain fly illegally  and also don't see the need for these measures if they will cause lag.
They don't cause lag, the actions of the anticheat which block cheats are misinterpreted as lag.
And while we do give eveyrone privilege of flying, the anticheat is there to limit the speed they are flying on. The faster they fly, the more chunks that are loaded, the more lag for the server in general. So we are limiting this.
Obviously, this is an exhaustive process in which we have to fix each case of false positives
I don't think the positives outweigh the negatives here. Stoovs has raised some valid points, and can you name any times when someone flying with a flymod has caused massive issues to the server? Someone using the Mod is likely to get caught anyway, unfortunately it's caused a lot of issues for players already I don't think this sort of precaution is worth it.

Mini_1

Towelie

Quote from: Stoovs on Jan 24, 2017, 10:58 PMThis is the exact opposite of progress for a server. This is the type of thing you'd experience back in 2012 when the servers were actually full and lag was prevalent for that exact reason. Cheating is a not nearly as serious a problem these days and the biggest problem with regards to "cheating" these days is actually X-ray which there is already a process in place to deal with that. Don't like the idea, definitely don't support it.
Fine, even though the idea behind this was to better protect against nukers and people who can destroy the world or even corrupt it  in a bit.
I'll revert back to the old config.

Towelie

Quote from: Stoovs on Jan 24, 2017, 10:58 PMThis is the exact opposite of progress for a server. This is the type of thing you'd experience back in 2012 when the servers were actually full and lag was prevalent for that exact reason. Cheating is a not nearly as serious a problem these days and the biggest problem with regards to "cheating" these days is actually X-ray which there is already a process in place to deal with that. Don't like the idea, definitely don't support it.
That's extremely rough to be honest. Tweaking things like the anticheat are things that take time and observation of players. I'd hardly call a couple of days of some people maybe triggering alerts "the exact opposite of progress.
The biggest problem is not xray, the biggest problem is that there are people who can go and spend $10 and buy a hacked client which can literally destroy the world unless protected by a plugin such as this. For example nukers: they destroy huge areas of the map in a very short time, without the player having to do anything but moving. Then there's the pvp cheaters which may not be as important but also work against us, by making players frustrated for being cheated.

You need to understand that progress means work. And work some times means temporary setbacks for the sake of even more progress.

Stoovs

Quote from: Towelie on Jan 25, 2017, 06:26 PM
That's extremely rough to be honest. Tweaking things like the anticheat are things that take time and observation of players. I'd hardly call a couple of days of some people maybe triggering alerts "the exact opposite of progress.
The biggest problem is not xray, the biggest problem is that there are people who can go and spend $10 and buy a hacked client which can literally destroy the world unless protected by a plugin such as this. For example nukers: they destroy huge areas of the map in a very short time, without the player having to do anything but moving. Then there's the pvp cheaters which may not be as important but also work against us, by making players frustrated for being cheated.

You need to understand that progress means work. And work some times means temporary setbacks for the sake of even more progress.

Your main concerns seems to be nukers in this case. Precautions you can take for nukers is to have regular map saves and backups, say every 8-12 hours. This gives you a good time frame in which if there were extensive server damage, you have a quick backup that you can load without there being days or weeks of progress for players reset. I'm not exactly sure how often you backup the server in-case you need to rollback but this is the best suggestion that I can see instead of hindering your players experiences.

As for PvP, if you even remotely think it's still alive on Survival, you're definitely wrong. The small amount of times I've actually seen people PvP in recent days I'm able to count on one hand. Also, with the economy the way it is, it's more than easy for someone to get the type of gear they'd PvP with back, literally within minutes. I'm not saying the economy is terrible either, it's just matured which allows for easy access to a wide variety of items.
"There are some that only employ words for the purpose of disguising their thoughts" -Voltaire