Apr 19, 2024, 08:14 AM

News:

Like our community? Please +1 our modpack here

[Survival] Economy Reset Poll

Started by Towelie, Jan 29, 2017, 05:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should we reset the economy (set everyone's balance to 0?)

Yes
39 (33.6%)
No
59 (50.9%)
No, but you should reduce everyone's balances by 50% or higher
18 (15.5%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Voting closed: Feb 03, 2017, 05:14 PM

BluetigerESW

Even if you reset the economy I seriously don't see this problem being fixed without a full reset, and it's been years since we've had one, so I think it's about time for one.  I know that many people say "if there's a  reset I'll quit SFT" but I seriously doubt that even half of the people that say that seriously mean it.  If they like SFT, if they enjoy the community, they'll stay no matter what.  I know you're scared about what would happen to SFT  if you went through with that Towelie, but trust me...we survived it before, and we could survive it again. Just my opinion though....
I enjoy the act of xD-ing, like if you agree

BattleAxium

Jan 29, 2017, 06:01 PM #26 Last Edit: Jan 29, 2017, 06:07 PM by BattleAxium
Something that might help here instead of full resetting or wiping the economy repeatedly is we could try to improve the system currently in place. Right now, we have the emp, which is opened regularly by managers+, autoshops which make up most of the economy, and player to player buying/selling through global market or directly.

What I think we could do to help the economy further besides increasing taxes, adjusting emp prices, starting fresh etc. is to create a dynamic market. A plugin which will adjust the value of items based on supply and demand. For instance, if someone buys an item, the sell price of that item goes down and if someone else sells that item, the sell price will go up. All of this will be automated. Thus, this will reduce inflation in the economy and could alleviate the need to reset/wipe it as often.

For more explanation on how the plugin will work, I'll be more than willing to share if necessary. It would be pretty complex but will pay off in the end.

Towelie

Quote from: BattleAxium on Jan 29, 2017, 06:01 PMSomething that might help here instead of full resetting or wiping the economy repeatedly is we could try to improve the system currently in place. Right now, we have the emp, which is opened regularly by managers+, autoshops which make up most of the economy, and player to player buying/selling through global market or directly.

What I think we could do to help the economy further besides increasing taxes, adjusting emp prices, starting fresh etc. is to create a dynamic market. A plugin which will adjust the value of items based on supply and demand. For instance, if someone buys an item, the sell price of that item goes down and if someone else sells that item, the sell price will go up. All of this will be automated. Thus, this will reduce inflation in the economy and could alleviate the need to reset/wipe it as often.

For more explanation on how the plugin will work, I'll be more than willing to share if necessary. It would be pretty complex but will pay off in the end.
Please do.
@darknuju @Nafi @AmusingThrone @abandoncaptian pay attention pls xD

Follow me on Instagram (i post cool stuff) https://www.instagram.com/toweliewtf/
Psst, got a Nintendo Switch? Add me -> SW-6574-1607-3796

smallfry5545

The 37 million EMP lotto definitely doesn't help this situation. Is it possible to put a limit on how much the Managers+ can put into the lotto?

one227

Errrr
this doesn't really make too much sense.

What would make more of sense is full reset as emp reset people will just be able to sell the items they have stored.

Darren64_NY

Lou671998

Main problem with the economy is EMP prices. No one wants to buy from emp (taking money out of the conomy) because the prices are soo high. Meanwhile everyone sells there (bringing money in) to sell their items. If a reset is done, which I'm fine with, EMP prices really need to be looked into. Otherwise we get the same problem occuring again in around 2 years time.
I used to be lou, I have ascended.

Mifnog

Quote from: BattleAxium on Jan 29, 2017, 06:01 PMif someone buys an item, the sell price of that item goes down and if someone else sells that item, the sell price will go up.

Good idea, but you had the idea of supply and demand backwards it should be that when people buy the price for that item goes up and when people sell the price of that item goes down.

misspiggy95

If you are trying to clean up the economy, just setting everyone's EMP to 0 won't do much more than piss off players.
They can still sell their large collections of ores or valuable items/stock up before you set everyone's balance then just re-sell.
With the EMP shop in place, it sort of gives them an unlimited access to money.

If you want to fix the economy, the best would be a full restart and eliminating the Emporium.

Melons are love. Melons are life

one227

Personally experiance without a full reset we will just keep on going back in circles with problems.

sure we might lose some players but more players will join and have the ability to actually be able to get items.

camster65

Lets be honest here, reset is a good idea. But at the same time the rich people will still be rich just less rich.

Only money that will come out of the economy are the poor people will be poorer, the medium hard workers for they're money back to basics and the rich rich because they invest in blocks which takes money out but still benefit them

Cr1_98

I have to agree with BattleAxium, I don't feel extremist measures such as an economy or full wipe of the server would be needed to fix the problem. Raising the taxes and either removing the emporium as a continuous source of free money, or by making also a viable drain on the economy with very competitive prices would be more beneficial. This is because it would eliminate the backlash from players leaving to due losing everything, which with SFT in its current state, with a constant need for new players would be extremely damaging. The result would not be as instantaneous but would be far less damaging to the integrity of the server.

There's no point in fixing the economy if no one is going to be here to play and use it.

maxwolf28

Maybe having the emp only sell?

Katherine

I can understand wanting to save the economy, but it's always gone up on a tangent where increasing the tax, promoting brick and mortar shops, these methods don't do anything. Players will always buy from the same few autoshops. You will also always run into the group of players who will be angry of losing the money they've worked hard for.

Dday694

The one issue that seems to be constant is the emp.

I mean it is useful to get certain items that may be needed. However, because it is an open pit of getting endless money, you can just keep selling.

Maybe try a ban of selling certain things to the emp such as diamond/ores and only allow buying?

Ender_Wigginz

Jan 29, 2017, 07:25 PM #40 Last Edit: Jan 29, 2017, 07:29 PM by Mr_Ender86
I personally am for the economy reset. Setting everyone back to the starting amount would give everyone a fair chance. It would force autos to adjust/lower prices prices. and If the Emp prices were adjusted. or selling to the Emp was eliminated it could make SFT a bit more enjoyable. If you did this you should leave the tax rate at or lower than it currently is also

Lou671998

I think a good way to fix the inflation problem would be to address new ways of taking money out of the economy. Currently lots of money is brought in by EMP sales. Money could be taken out if the EMP prices were more reasonable, but I've thought of a few other solutions too.

-We could raise the tax on transactions and auto shop transactions.
-We could add small tax to more actions, such as a warp tax of maybe 100 emp per warp? but the warp would still work if you had no money, just a method of removing emp from people who have lots.

I can't really think of anything else, but I hope this is a start.
I used to be lou, I have ascended.

DylbertDangle

I don't play survival but if you were able to create a somewhat of a server stock market as @BattleAxium  had suggested I might actually play. :P
 Sounds like a great idea, and learning experience.

Lucy_23x

If there is a reset: i buy tycoon
If there isnt: i continue with daily life

Either way, all the ideas are about how the rich get richer, but do bare in mind that poor guests dont have cash, so buying things from something such as the emp is way out of their league. Making things more expensive will only make the poor people poorer, and sure the rich people may decrease in their cash, but compared to how much poorer players havd, its no big deal

Quote from: sparkydeathcap on Feb 17, 2016, 04:07 AMand also; how old are you? I've always imagined you as like a old irish man that drinks whiskey and screams at people to get off his lawn while sitting on a bench in the park. But I'm pretty sure that's not the case because if it was: 1. you're a pedophile and 2. you're a pedophile

Doctor_Thanos

The people have worked hard for their EmpBucks and resetting them or lowering them will do nothing but cause frustration. I don't have a lot of money but the money I have I have earned fairly and with my work.
The server is for fun and mixing economy in it is just too much real life stuff in it, worrying about taxes, the market etc. We are all here to have fun and not create another mini-world, like the one most of us are here to escape.
I voted no. The economy is fine as it is.

ochoaj

Is it possible for a progressive tax to be implemented into the economy?

For example, the poorer members of SFT will pay less in taxes, while the richer members will pay more.

Or maybe there could be an autoshop tax? So that every time someone buys something in a shop, a portion goes back to the economy and not just to the shop owner.

There's plenty of other ways to fix the economy, other than just completely ruining the economy by resetting it.

I voted no:steve:
"Whoever would overthrow the liberty of a nation must begin by subduing the freeness of speech."
― Benjamin Franklin

ste2302

Green_Giant

Biggest inflows of cash:
- Lotto.
- Voting.
- The Emporium.
- Events.

Biggest Outflows of cash:
- Players buying Auto Perms, Global Market Perms and Tycoon.
- Players buying from the Emporium.
- Storage Wars? Sorta, but when you can sell the items back with their value it has the opposite effect.

You can't "fix" the economy at this point, atleas not in a way that'd make a drastic difference, however you can slow down the pace in which it inflates. There's too much Minting (money inflows) - cut down on these, and increasing the amount of out flowing money, and you can certainly slow down the rate in which the economy is inflating.

Whats the tax on auto shops might I ask?

Oye, voted no for a reset.

MrChanango

This will make a lot of people mad, but I think Survival is down for a full reset. I would continue to play. If Somehow, players could keep something as simple as everything in there inventories, (don't know how you could) then that would make everyone happy I feel. The rich people would keep there tools and maybe some ores, The "poorer" people would keep probably mostly ores. That way players who own Large autos couldnt keep stack upon stacks upon stacks  of Sea lanterns, or Stacks of diamond blocks. The only concern I am thinking about is players leaving because there huge builds are reset. I would personally be happy of a full reset happened (besides my tools :))  another thing that could happen is players only keep their skill levels, that way people can get some pickaxes OP again. ;)  only ideas.... ideas?
Owner of the legendary Wood4U!
Founder at ModMart!
Survival Mod 12/30/16 - Survival JMod 11/5/16
Survival Admin 12/23/17 - Survival Manager 7/17/17 -
Survival Elder 3/21/18

cravend

Guys, here's a thought. A lot of these discussions revolve around the Emporium. There are some problems with the Emporium, and I think consum summed them up concisely:
Quote from: Consum on Jan 29, 2017, 06:37 PMMain problem with the economy is EMP prices. No one wants to buy from emp (taking money out of the conomy) because the prices are soo high. Meanwhile everyone sells there (bringing money in) to sell their items. If a reset is done, which I'm fine with, EMP prices really need to be looked into. Otherwise we get the same problem occuring again in around 2 years time.

I've noticed this too, both from talking to people and just by being an active player. One of the first things I was told when I joined is "don't buy from the EMP," and I have this mindset that going to the Emporium is a tradeoff: you have convenient access to (most) materials & don't have to run around to a bunch of autoshops looking for the stock you need, but you have to pay wayyy too much. Meanwhile, we have some very successful entrepreneurs (cough cough mallusa) on the server.

Anyways, this is getting too long, so here's my suggestion. We need a way to keep the Emporium's prices "fresh," to encourage people to use it more. Yes, we'll be losing money on each transaction, but I think that the amount of transactions we make will make up for the loss. First, we need to have more frequent updates to the Emporium's pricing. Also, we need people that are more in-tune with the market to give us a "voice from the masses" with prices. We could ask high-profile auto owners how they think the market is, what we need to raise/lower, etc. Additionally, I'm fully in support of the plugin that tracks market pricing. Maybe we could let regular people access it too, to see around how much items are selling for (which would make for better player-to-player sale pricing, something I'm very bad at xd), and if not it would still give managers a better perspective as to how much things sell for. Anyways, it's critical that we get the Emporium some "new branding," for lack of a better word, and kick the mentality that it's some high-priced, selling only joint. That's just how I see things c:

-cravend
Thanks to Mewiebowie for the spectacular avatar!