Mar 28, 2024, 11:00 AM

News:

Like our community? Please +1 our modpack here

[Survival] What are we currently lacking?

Started by Towelie, Feb 22, 2017, 08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is Survival lacking right now?

There need to be more events
22 (56.4%)
We need more stuff to do (eg: more gameplay mechanics added by plugins)
27 (69.2%)
The Managers should organize more major events
26 (66.7%)
Other (please specify)
8 (20.5%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Voting closed: Feb 27, 2017, 08:57 PM

Towelie

Follow me on Instagram (i post cool stuff) https://www.instagram.com/toweliewtf/
Psst, got a Nintendo Switch? Add me -> SW-6574-1607-3796

Lucy_23x

I thnk it would be nice if staff helped new people in things such as building a house or something

Quote from: sparkydeathcap on Feb 17, 2016, 04:07 AMand also; how old are you? I've always imagined you as like a old irish man that drinks whiskey and screams at people to get off his lawn while sitting on a bench in the park. But I'm pretty sure that's not the case because if it was: 1. you're a pedophile and 2. you're a pedophile

SFT_Ghost

Personally I think the third one taken off because with Factions now open most of [Survival] staff play Factions meaning Managers seem to get super busy when they're online. If there would be away around this, it would be cool to have big events on :D

Also, this is a good post too Tow because recently I have seen people quitting game because they're bored and they've got nothing to do xD
I FIND A DUCKS OPINION OF ME IN VERY MUCH INFLUENCED BY WEATHER OR NOT I HAVE BREAD!

stormshooter

Quote from: Lucy_23x on Feb 22, 2017, 10:25 PMI thnk it would be nice if staff helped new people in things such as building a house or something
I don't think they really have the time.

MrEpicWonder

Quote from: TeraStorm on Feb 22, 2017, 10:34 PM
Quote from: Lucy_23x on Feb 22, 2017, 10:25 PMI thnk it would be nice if staff helped new people in things such as building a house or something

This.

Staff are there to help players with questions, prevent griefing and rule breaking and much more, anyone can help build a house. Not anyone can ban a griefer.

New players mostly find trouble getting a space away from people, which is why /random exists, sometimes it takes you to a place where people have built and sometimes it doesn't, its luck based, however I really don't think staff would have time to help build houses for every new person who joined, as everyone is perfectly capable of building. Granted a staff member wanted to help, they could, but staff duties would take priority and building a house for a guest isn't a staff duty.
Quote from: Towelie on Dec 16, 2015, 09:12 AMI'd still like to see the nativity scene re-enacted in minecraft while I eat popcorn and mock Christians
Quote from: Towelie on Jan 17, 2016, 08:45 AMSending me any inappropriate pictures will cause you to get banned (unless you are a female and 18+)

MrChanango

Quote from: MrEpicWonder on Feb 22, 2017, 10:39 PM

This.

Staff are there to help players with questions, prevent griefing and rule breaking and much more, anyone can help build a house. Not anyone can ban a griefer.

New players mostly find trouble getting a space away from people, which is why /random exists, sometimes it takes you to a place where people have built and sometimes it doesn't, its luck based, however I really don't think staff would have time to help build houses for every new person who joined, as everyone is perfectly capable of building. Granted a staff member wanted to help, they could, but staff duties would take priority and building a house for a guest isn't a staff duty.
Well put.
Owner of the legendary Wood4U!
Founder at ModMart!
Survival Mod 12/30/16 - Survival JMod 11/5/16
Survival Admin 12/23/17 - Survival Manager 7/17/17 -
Survival Elder 3/21/18

CaykoMarie

The only problem with the Manager+ team hosting more major events is that a lot of the time, people don't even show up. We have a big weekend event every Saturday or Sunday. Last weekend, while I understand was the release of factions so it was bound to be slow, I offered the prizes to be on Survival or Factions hoping for people to at least show, but not a lot did. I was only able to host two rounds of Tower Spleef rather than four like I had originally planned.

A lot of the time, people say they want events, but then don't show up or end up not thinking the prize is great enough because it isn't a huge emp amount.

smallfry5545

Quote from: CaykoMarie on Feb 22, 2017, 11:22 PMThe only problem with the Manager+ team hosting more major events is that a lot of the time, people don't even show up. We have a big weekend event every Saturday or Sunday. Last weekend, while I understand was the release of factions so it was bound to be slow, I offered the prizes to be on Survival or Factions hoping for people to at least show, but not a lot did. I was only able to host two rounds of Tower Spleef rather than four like I had originally planned.

A lot of the time, people say they want events, but then don't show up or end up not thinking the prize is great enough because it isn't a huge emp amount.

Part of this is because players generally get bored of playing the same events over and over. I understand that you can't make a new event every week, but every few weeks is definitely possible. Or take games that are normally played, and completely change the rules or how you play it so at least there's variety. Just my opinion..

CaykoMarie

Quote from: smallfry5545 on Feb 22, 2017, 11:44 PM
Quote from: CaykoMarie on Feb 22, 2017, 11:22 PMThe only problem with the Manager+ team hosting more major events is that a lot of the time, people don't even show up. We have a big weekend event every Saturday or Sunday. Last weekend, while I understand was the release of factions so it was bound to be slow, I offered the prizes to be on Survival or Factions hoping for people to at least show, but not a lot did. I was only able to host two rounds of Tower Spleef rather than four like I had originally planned.

Part of this is because players generally get bored of playing the same events over and over. I understand that you can't make a new event every week, but every few weeks is definitely possible. Or take games that are normally played, and completely change the rules or how you play it so at least there's variety. Just my opinion..
I did the latter. Some of the layers were made of stone or wood so that they players had to use axes and picks as well to continue on.

smallfry5545

Quote from: CaykoMarie on Feb 23, 2017, 12:03 AM

I did the latter. Some of the layers were made of stone or wood so that they players had to use axes and picks as well to continue on.
I understand that, but it's still generic spleef. I can guarantee that there's events on SFT that have never been hosted, as well as some that haven't been touched in months. As the release of factions too, Survival was bound to be less busy. All in all, good effort is being made.

CaykoMarie

Quote from: smallfry5545 on Feb 23, 2017, 12:05 AM
Quote from: CaykoMarie on Feb 23, 2017, 12:03 AM

I understand that, but it's still generic spleef. I can guarantee that there's events on SFT that have never been hosted, as well as some that haven't been touched in months. As the release of factions too, Survival was bound to be less busy. All in all, good effort is being made.

Thank you for the advice. I will make sure different events are hosted and/or rules are skewed a bit to make sure it stays interesting.

Dday694

I think what sft lacks is not events hosted, but bigger games that need plugins (such as build my thing and hunger games).

However the constant problem with this is when we do open up such a minigame server just for it, it dies off after 2+ weeks because people get tired of it and it shuts down.

So my suggestion is why not create an independent world from the event world (but still hosted on the survival server) that would only host these big events. However after a certain amount of time, it gets replaced with another big event. For example, for 1 week players can play hunger games. After that it would be replaced with build my thing for a week and so forth.

That way, these mini games are always cycled around and entices more players to join and participate in these events. Even the same can be done for adventure worlds or whatnot to change it up.

Stoovs

On top of this, I honestly don't think the best solution is to host more big events. Not all the time can players get on at the specific times for certain events so having EventHosts host more often, more around the clock is probably a better option. Not to mention a lot of the weekend events either seem to be some kind of spleef or hide and seek/prop hunt type thing. If you're going to be hosting weekend events then they should atleast be exciting, and I'm not talking about the prize pool. There is more incentive to go play something that is a brand new then there is in getting some money in what is already considered an inflated economy. Want to get more players to show up to events? Don't have them every weekend and have something new for a change.

So to summarize:

• Get yourself more EventHosts that are hosting more around the clock (most hours of the day)
  • If you're going to host big events, host new, exciting events. It doesn't have to be every weekend.

Quote from: Dday694 on Feb 23, 2017, 12:17 AMI think what sft lacks is not events hosted, but bigger games that need plugins (such as build my thing and hunger games).

However the constant problem with this is when we do open up such a minigame server just for it, it dies off after 2+ weeks because people get tired of it and it shuts down.

So my suggestion is why not create an independent world from the event world (but still hosted on the survival server) that would only host these big events. However after a certain amount of time, it gets replaced with another big event. For example, for 1 week players can play hunger games. After that it would be replaced with build my thing for a week and so forth.

That way, these mini games are always cycled around and entices more players to join and participate in these events. Even the same can be done for adventure worlds or whatnot to change it up.

Really like this idea and give it a +1. Might even attract some new players in every now and again (if you just advertise it's existence within the Survival description on voting pages). Could finally put into motion what I've been suggesting for quite some time and that being a mini-games server (where Minecraft servers are clearly thriving). You now have quite a decently sized dev team as well, where it isn't just Fear and darknuju and SFT has been needing something to help spring it back to life.
"There are some that only employ words for the purpose of disguising their thoughts" -Voltaire

Nicadean33

Quote from: SFT_Ghost on Feb 22, 2017, 10:29 PMPersonally I think the third one taken off because with Factions now open most of [Survival] staff play Factions meaning Managers seem to get super busy when they're online.
As a Manager who doesn't play factions, I can vouch for this. It's been hard to not only do my Manager duties and such, but also hard to get a good amount of staff online so I can focus on them.

@Stoovs I've been thinking about your point 2 recently. If you had any ideas of new events, or revamps, please pm me because I would give it the ol' college try at making them. Recently redid /warp chess and was thinking about redoing Curiosity (Unless that's still around somewhere)

Aslanbor

Uh i mean i would like to see Treasure Hunt come back! Where we had to mine and find the chests filled with coll stuffs and custom items. That was pretty fun!!
The more that you read, the more you will know, the more that you learn, the more places you will go. - Dr. Seuss

misspiggy95

Doing different events doesn't always mean you have to build something extravagant.
I still think one of my all time favorite weekend events was the "Crack the Code" Katherine hosted a while back.
It was challenging, used teamwork to solve some pretty hard riddles, and a lot of people showed up to it

Melons are love. Melons are life

hobo336

When new players get on I will notice them look around the server out then log off. When I am free, I will msg them telling them about our server (w1,w2,w3, /random, Mod+ for protection and more). If they need help I will help them start a build. This is not needed by everyone but I believe it will help new players stay and enjoy the server 10x more.

Another thing I think will bring the community together if people take part in the towns that have been getting started. It is very fun to build and be apart of these communities. If people get involved right away they will stay longer.

smallfry5545

Feb 23, 2017, 04:13 AM #17 Last Edit: Feb 23, 2017, 04:17 AM by smallfry5545
Quote from: Dday694 on Feb 23, 2017, 12:17 AMI think what sft lacks is not events hosted, but bigger games that need plugins (such as build my thing and hunger games).

I agree with this... On that matter, what ever happened to the Splatoon Server and being changed every couple weekends? DDay's comment reminded me of it, so I went and found the post... https://www.superfuntime.org/forum/index.php/topic,170101.0.html
QuoteIn the future, I plan on hosting such small minigame/event servers every weekend, where our players can un-wind without that inherent risk that comes with losing your items.

Are these 'plans' ever going to go through, or did that 'minigame server' die for good?

Towelie

Ok so I think I've identified as important -> Coming up with new event ideas and hosting new and original events once in a while, not repeating the same always.
@Mrs_Ender88  - As a former HOH and in contact with the current HOH's, can you have a meeting with them and see what could be done towards tha tpleasE?

Follow me on Instagram (i post cool stuff) https://www.instagram.com/toweliewtf/

supermee3

I would still love to see UHC getting hosted in the future again :) I guess this qualifies as more major events?

Lucy_23x

Quote from: MrChanango on Feb 22, 2017, 11:02 PM
Quote from: MrEpicWonder on Feb 22, 2017, 10:39 PM

This.

Well put.
Was just an idea not saying we gotta do it  ;-;

Quote from: sparkydeathcap on Feb 17, 2016, 04:07 AMand also; how old are you? I've always imagined you as like a old irish man that drinks whiskey and screams at people to get off his lawn while sitting on a bench in the park. But I'm pretty sure that's not the case because if it was: 1. you're a pedophile and 2. you're a pedophile

HD

I remember hearing how Kaninka and others used to host super amazing events that made everyone love them so much, like the Melon Building Contest with an insane prize, or the event of a castle seige, etc.

So why not bring those events back? :heart:

Towelie

Started a topic with the managers to see what we can do regarding events.

Katherine

If anyone wants to host crack the code I'll do it on Saturday 4th. This is a one time thing because I feel like doing it. Dm me.

Mrs_Ender88

Quote from: Towelie on Feb 23, 2017, 06:23 AMOk so I think I've identified as important -> Coming up with new event ideas and hosting new and original events once in a while, not repeating the same always.
@Mrs_Ender88  - As a former HOH and in contact with the current HOH's, can you have a meeting with them and see what could be done towards tha tpleasE?
Sure I can do that.
Life is what you make it, so make it great.
Love with all your heart.
❤Mrs_Ender❤ - Today at 2:25 PM >8ball should I be binned?
HovenBOT - Today at 2:25 PM As I see it, yes