Mar 28, 2024, 10:39 PM

News:

Support us on Patreon and get exclusive perks!

Reaction Bugs

Started by Fractalion, Feb 26, 2017, 07:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fractalion

I'm making this topic in the Lost Islands bug reports board because these are bugs I have found in this plugin while on Lost. I'm not certain whether or not these bugs are present in other versions or not. (Nor am I certain whether or not the Reaction plugin is made in house or not, but I'm hoping it is)

First bug:

Sometimes, not always, the plugin doesn't tell you what the unscrambled word was. Most of the time it says something along the lines of "No one got it, the word was X".

Second bug:

Sometimes there can be multiple winners. Also note that I only typed the word once here, there's no particular reason for why it should have shown in chat as well, but it did. I have to assume that's part of the same bug.

Third bug:

Sometimes you have to type a word twice for it to register. There was absolutely no difference between the two times I wrote that word, no extra space or whatever. When I noticed that it didn't register I just opened chat, hit the up arrow and hit enter again, no changes at all.

Again, I'm not sure if this plugin was made by one of our developers or not, so I don't know if these bugs can be fixed or not, but I felt I should report them anyway.

BattleAxium

Just noting this plugin is third party: https://www.spigotmc.org/resources/chatreaction.3748/

And it's open source if any of the developers want to fix it:
https://github.com/extendedclip/ChatReaction/tree/master/src

Towelie

Follow me on Instagram (i post cool stuff) https://www.instagram.com/toweliewtf/
Psst, got a Nintendo Switch? Add me -> SW-6574-1607-3796

blalp

Have a fantastic day!

AmusingThrone

Sure, I can give it a look.

It has been requested many times to be fixed, but to be honest it looks like a pain to use the code the developer has made, and might be more efficient to just start over.

This problem has been noticed on Survival as well.

Please expect some updates from me  :).

BattleAxium

Feb 27, 2017, 12:25 PM #5 Last Edit: Feb 27, 2017, 12:30 PM by BattleAxium
Quote from: AmusingThrone on Feb 27, 2017, 06:56 AMSure, I can give it a look.

It has been requested many times to be fixed, but to be honest it looks like a pain to use the code the developer has made, and might be more efficient to just start over.

Are you kidding? That code is practically standard Java code. Sure, it could use a bit more comments here and there but still efficient enough. I don't see any point in starting over but you do you.

Note: You should learn to deal with someone elses code since that's most of what you'll see in a real job. Working off a central codebase where many people will contribute. If you really must change it then you should refactor it.

AmusingThrone

Quote from: BattleAxium on Feb 27, 2017, 12:25 PM

Are you kidding? That code is practically standard Java code. Sure, it could use a bit more comments here and there but still efficient enough. I don't see any point in starting over but you do you.

Note: You should learn to deal with someone elses code since that's most of what you'll see in a real job. Working off a central codebase where many people will contribute. If you really must change it then you should refactor it.

I know how to work with other people's code. However, the reaction plugin is a bit outdated, and I have a different approach in my mind. Personally, you don't need such a large plugin for a faster, more efficient version of this. However like I said, I will report back soon. I am familiar with working with other people's work, as all the devs work together on projects.

Also, I am curious by what you mean 'standard Java code'. All Bukkit code is standard Java.

And, to answer your note, I have more of an entrepreneur mindset. I make the frameworks other can build off, so when I see something that I feel I can make more efficient by approaching it a different way, I tend to try it out.

BattleAxium

Quote from: AmusingThrone on Feb 28, 2017, 01:46 AM

I know how to work with other people's code. However, the reaction plugin is a bit outdated, and I have a different approach in my mind. Personally, you don't need such a large plugin for a faster, more efficient version of this. However like I said, I will report back soon. I am familiar with working with other people's work, as all the devs work together on projects.

Also, I am curious by what you mean 'standard Java code'. All Bukkit code is standard Java.

And, to answer your note, I have more of an entrepreneur mindset. I make the frameworks other can build off, so when I see something that I feel I can make more efficient by approaching it a different way, I tend to try it out.

I mean there's really no reason to reinvent the wheel. The code looks perfectly fine and gets the job done. I highly doubt anything you write will be any more "efficient" than what's already out there. But, anyways if you want to spend time remaking a plugin that works perfectly fine instead of just fixing what's wrong then that's up to you.

AmusingThrone

Feb 28, 2017, 02:26 AM #8 Last Edit: Feb 28, 2017, 02:38 AM by AmusingThrone
Quote from: BattleAxium on Feb 28, 2017, 02:03 AM
Quote from: AmusingThrone on Feb 28, 2017, 01:46 AM

I mean there's really no reason to reinvent the wheel. The code looks perfectly fine and gets the job done. I highly doubt anything you write will be any more "efficient" than what's already out there. But, anyways if you want to spend time remaking a plugin that works perfectly fine instead of just fixing what's wrong then that's up to you.

Like I said, the plugin has been broken on Survival as well, and has been not updated in a while. I might reuse some libraries from the original plugin, but I hope I can restructure the plugin to make it much less problematic for players.

Fractalion

Here's a fourth bug. It's not as problematic as the first three, but it is a bit of an annoyance.

It seems to me that it shouldn't be too much of a problem to check to make sure the scrambled word has actually be scrambled. (and if it isn't, either scramble it again or just switch that round to a normal reaction, and not an unscramble.)

This complaint is definitely more of a nitpick, since it doesn't actually have a negative effect on the outcome of the round, but it's still a bit weird and if the plugin is being fixed I figured I should report this anyway.

Fractalion

Fifth bug: Sometimes when you win your reaction wins get reset. I didn't post this before because I figured it was a fluke, and rather uncommon, but apparently not. This is now the second time this has happened to me. (Hence why I have some degree of documentation)

Picture from four days ago:

Picture from today:

The first time this happened to me I was at 150 wins. (I never got those returned) When I checked earlier today I was at 1400 - I don't have any documentation of either of these numbers, but I'd like to at least have my wins set back to what I can prove.

I'm hoping to have them set to 1550, since that's where I should be at this point, but if the best you can do is 1239, I can accept that. @blalp

smallfry5545

I know this is for Lost Islands, just stating my opinion;

This also happens on Survival, the "reset wins". However I've been told constantly that it's a bug in the original plugin, and wins can't be added back. I've been reset multiple times and each time, just had to deal with it.

Unsure if Lost is different for the plugin, just my thoughts.

blalp

Quote from: smallfry5545 on Mar 20, 2017, 01:55 AMUnsure if Lost is different for the plugin, just my thoughts.
Same plugin, survival has a newer version
Have a fantastic day!

blalp

I cannot set your number of votes. Even if i could I reset it so they can be reset again next week? This plugin just needs a re-code or bug-fixes. There are no devs currently open to work on this (that I know of) as it is not that important.
Have a fantastic day!

Fractalion

Quote from: blalp on Mar 20, 2017, 02:13 AMI cannot set your number of votes. Even if i could I reset it so they can be reset again next week? This plugin just needs a re-code or bug-fixes. There are no devs currently open to work on this (that I know of) as it is not that important.

Alright, I've downloaded it. I haven't worked with Java before, but I've done plenty of work with C# as well as some other languages.

I'll see what I can do. No promises, just going to take a look when I'm in the mood.