Mar 19, 2024, 07:42 AM

News:

Proudly established in 2010, still going!

[TV] Katy Perry joins American Idol! reboot as judge

Started by lioneatszebra, May 16, 2017, 09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lioneatszebra

Katy Perry Joins American Idol! Singer Is 'Honored and Thrilled' to Judge Reality Show Reboot
from People

She's going to Hollywood!

ABC just announced at least one member of the new judging panel for the upcoming American Idol reboot — and it's more star-studded than ever.

Katy Perry was confirmed to be a part of the new crew at the ABC upfront on Tuesday.

"SO thrilled @ABCNetwork is bringing back @AmericanIdol, and I'm bringing it back to the 🎶MUSIC🎶 [See] you at auditions," Perry, 32, tweeted shortly following the announcement, sharing her official Idol portrait.

"I am honored and thrilled to be the first judge bringing back the American Idol tradition of making dreams come true for incredible talents with authentic personalities and real stories," said Perry in a statement released by the network. "I'm always listening to new music, and love discovering diamonds in the rough – from mentoring young artists on my label, or highlighting new artists on my tours, I want to bring it back to the music."

Added ABC Entertainment President Channing Dungey, "We are thrilled to be ushering in this new era of American Idol with Katy leading the charge. Her incredible accolades speak for themselves. We are so lucky to have this strong and talented woman help inspire and guide the next crop of artists as they pursue their dreams."

As for the host, after weeks of rumors, it remains unconfirmed that Ryan Seacrest will resume his duties on the show, after 15 season when it was on Fox. He'll still continue to host Live with Kelly and Ryan, balancing both jobs by flying coast to coast each week.

"I had said at the end of the series, 'Goodbye for now,' hoping somewhere it would come back," Seacrest said on Live! on May 8.

A source had earlier confirmed to PEOPLE that Seacrest had never lost his affection for this show:

"As for Ryan, his plate is obviously pretty full already — his priority is Live with Kelly and Ryan, he has big commitments to iHeartRadio daily and the syndicated radio show," the source said. "That said, Ryan has a lot of affection for Idol given the significance to his career, and it taps into the things he loves — a live show, pop music, discovering new talent, etc."

Celebrities not returning to the reboot? Simon Cowell, who previously said that he had no interest in returning, and former contestants Kelly Clarkson (who was briefly rumored to be joining the show last week) and Jennifer Hudson, who will instead join The Voice as coaches.
brb, living offline