Mar 28, 2024, 11:31 AM

News:

Support us on Patreon and get exclusive perks!

Pixelmon - Quite the bump in the road..

Started by Dpa1991, Jul 14, 2017, 05:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dpa1991

Well we're getting ready to launch the pixelmon server (less than a week from now) and I get a message from Towelie..
Seems Pixelmon  got a Cease and desist letter from Pokemon and the team at Pixelmon will be ceasing all future development. While we are still going to proceed with the launch on the 20th, I wanted to keep you guys informed because things could get messy. I don't know how Technic will handle this, they very well could start deleting any Pixelmon modpacks on their platform to prevent them from being in any way liable for anything.

We are considering not offering a Premium shop for the pixelmon server at all, because with all of this I don't know if the server will be around long. What are your opinions on this?

xbeastguyx

<br />I'M BEGINNING TO FEEL LIKE A RAP SHARK

CallOfTheElements

Well, that sucks. If launch goes as planned it will get us more attention though. Could work in our favour.

Loasty

Well fuck man, thats really shitty and i figured after some time it would actually come to this >.<   I still want to see pix reborn and see how it goes, if we end up getting cut down because of this i guess there isnt any loss... If people donate to it it could still go for months or even just a week, those who donate normally donate just because they enjoy the time they have on it... Ide say just go with how we normally planned, and worst comes to worst, we come up with a new idea we could all enjoy...
Pixelmon Admin
Need assistance? contact me on discord @ Loasty#4663

Dpa1991

Quote from: LavishGaming on Jul 14, 2017, 06:06 AMWell, that sucks. If launch goes as planned it will get us more attention though. Could work in our favour.

With the mod itself receiving  C&D, more attention to us would not be a good thing. Technic could easily start removing any modpacks with pixelmon as its now officially considered copyright infringing material.

Yes, it always has been but now Pokemon is vocal and made their stance on the mod.

Nubbun

Happy that the launch is still happening and I think the "no premium shop till you know more" would be a safest way to go about it (incase it does get removed from technic and everyone just decides to make chargebacks or whateva).
Hopefully they'll confirm whether or not technic gets affected or not, soon rather than later D:

\(◎o◎)/

boomonstervi

Hmm just a small idea but could you make another normal Minecraft server with a large Pixelmon plug in to replace it?

TheStarNomad✯

Quote from: magl on Jul 14, 2017, 06:08 AMHappy that the launch is still happening and I think the "no premium shop till you know more" would be a safest way to go about it (incase it does get removed from technic and everyone just decides to make chargebacks or whateva).
I agree with this^

We should still at least try :s

Long time StarNomad

Towelie

A few of my thoughts:

- I don't think Technic will actively go after servers distributing Pixelmon mod but it's entirely possible, seing as that is against the Pokemon Company's Cease and Desist towards Pixelmon Mod.
- Launching without a premium shop does make the most sense but it's bad for SFT, considering we are barely making ends meet right now, with just Survival covering the costs
- There are two possibilities for Pixelmon Mod to continue: 1. They either drop all Pokemon assets and create their own mobs, items, etc, like a spinoff of Pokemon but without using any assets or 2. Someone in the community gets the sourcecode and decides to continue the work, risking their hide. I think #2 is very unlikely.
- This is a huge bummer, not just for the SFT Pixelmon fans but for SFT in general. We were depending on SFT Pixelmon to help us cover bills and to get some new life into our community.

Follow me on Instagram (i post cool stuff) https://www.instagram.com/toweliewtf/
Psst, got a Nintendo Switch? Add me -> SW-6574-1607-3796

lionblaze10

Jul 14, 2017, 06:41 AM #9 Last Edit: Jul 14, 2017, 06:46 AM by lionblaze10
Multi-billion dollar company and a bunch of stuck up jack asses... Welcome to shitty business 101.

Leave us alone Nintendo

But honestly this really sucks for everyone.
Honour: If you need it defined, you don't have it

platerfin

Rose2247

This really sucks....Like really sucks

Quote from: Towelie on Jul 14, 2017, 06:12 AM- Launching without a premium shop does make the most sense but it's bad for SFT, considering we are barely making ends meet right now, with just Survival covering the costs

Just wanna say I'm sure a lot of people would buy from our other server's premium shops, if they knew about the other servers that is...
To Hyrule Field, I g-Oh wait...Is that a lynel? NO THANKS!

platerfin

I know this idea is not the best but if the pix server does get deleted we could make some other type of popular mod pack instead

platerfin

Quote from: Rose2247 on Jul 14, 2017, 06:46 AMJust wanna say I'm sure a lot of people would buy from our other server's premium shops, if they knew about the other servers that is

the problem is if people donate then pix shuts down the community lost money and probs wont donate again

Towelie

Quote from: Rose2247 on Jul 14, 2017, 06:46 AMThis really sucks....Like really sucks

Quote from: Towelie on Jul 14, 2017, 06:12 AM- Launching without a premium shop does make the most sense but it's bad for SFT, considering we are barely making ends meet right now, with just Survival covering the costs

Just wanna say I'm sure a lot of people would buy from our other server's premium shops, if they knew about the other servers that is...

There's a list of servers on the front page, and the premium shop for those servers are accesible via /buy in-game.
Not sure what you're trying to say.

Follow me on Instagram (i post cool stuff) https://www.instagram.com/toweliewtf/

Dpa1991

Quote from: Rose2247 on Jul 14, 2017, 06:46 AMThis really sucks....Like really sucks

It isnt that other servers arent known, its that each server targets specific people. You cant get your pixelmon fix on survival, bteam or lost. You cant get your bteam fix on pixelmon or survival and so on.  You cant just make another popular server, Pixelmon is popular because it is a 1:1 rip of the official games of a billion dollar company. This was bound to happen eventually, and in one hand I'm laughing at it but the other I feel sadness because now we may lose a once great server.

Lucy_23x

Do you think all these bad things are happenin' on purpose to sft, like, maybe some rich maniac is watching us all...

Quote from: sparkydeathcap on Feb 17, 2016, 04:07 AMand also; how old are you? I've always imagined you as like a old irish man that drinks whiskey and screams at people to get off his lawn while sitting on a bench in the park. But I'm pretty sure that's not the case because if it was: 1. you're a pedophile and 2. you're a pedophile

BioPh33r

Note: Guys there is a petition going on right now that another community is sending to the Nintendo/Pokemon Co. to allow the Pixelmon Team to continue they're work on the mod. let's all hope that the petition succeeds

Towelie

Quote from: BioPh33r on Jul 14, 2017, 09:16 AMNote: Guys there is a petition going on right now that another community is sending to the Nintendo/Pokemon Co. to allow the Pixelmon Team to continue they're work on the mod. let's all hope that the petition succeeds
The petition won't achieve anything. We're talking about a brand's assets, used illegaly by other people, in our case Pixelmon Mod team. If they weren't so arrogant in the past, maybe I'd feel bad for them but right now, I'm only feeling bad for us, because it's affecting us, SFT.

GotAnError

Quote from: lionblaze10 on Jul 14, 2017, 06:41 AMMulti-billion dollar company and a bunch of stuck up jack asses... Welcome to shitty business 101.

Leave us alone Nintendo

Nintendo has nothing to do with this. Game Freak is the rightful owner to Pokémon. Nintendo only has shares in Game Freak.

Plus, Pixelmon is in fact against the law, no matter how much you enjoy it. You can't say Game Freak is in the wrong because it is a successful company. This is how property infringement works. Their idea. They want to make money on their ideas. They don't just want anyone and their cat making money by abusing their ideas.

That being said, it still sucks. So many people were looking forward to it.
Screw the modern world! Our lovely earth is flat, ask the Medieval men!

BattleAxium

Jul 14, 2017, 11:22 AM #21 Last Edit: Jul 14, 2017, 11:27 AM by BattleAxium
Pixelmon devs should and are abiding by the cease and desist order and it's not wrong for them to avoid facing a multi-billion dollar company's law suit.

I think we have a few options here:

1. Ride out the storm and release the pixelmon server anyways. Knowing that one day it will either be pulled from Technic or become outdated. Or as Towelie said we can hope someone will come along, decompile their source, and release it under a new name.

2. Make our own minecraft mod from scratch with similar features as pixelmon but not a complete 1:1 copy of Pokémon. This would take awhile and require more than a handful of developers.

3. Cut the cord and move along. Try to make as much money as you can from Pixelmon or scrap it, focus on improving and building other SFT servers, and try to keep SFT afloat.

Those are my .2 cents on the matter. Take it for what it's worth. They aren't the best options and of course you can take whatever course of action you guys think is necessary here.

Towelie

Quote from: GotAnError on Jul 14, 2017, 10:14 AM
Quote from: lionblaze10 on Jul 14, 2017, 06:41 AMMulti-billion dollar company and a bunch of stuck up jack asses... Welcome to shitty business 101.

Leave us alone Nintendo

Nintendo has nothing to do with this. Game Freak is the rightful owner to Pokémon. Nintendo only has shares in Game Freak.

Plus, Pixelmon is in fact against the law, no matter how much you enjoy it. You can't say Game Freak is in the wrong because it is a successful company. This is how property infringement works. Their idea. They want to make money on their ideas. They don't just want anyone and their cat making money by abusing their ideas.

That being said, it still sucks. So many people were looking forward to it.
It's not Game Freak, it's The Pokemon Company. And they are 100% Right. The Pixelmon mod makers did use their assets for commercial purpose.
That and they were extremely arrogant and acting like they came up with the whole thing.

That being said, I'm still sad to see this end, because it's bad news for SFT.

Towelie

Quote from: BattleAxium on Jul 14, 2017, 11:22 AMPixelmon devs should and are abiding by the cease and desist order and it's not wrong for them to avoid facing a multi-billion dollar company's law suit.

I think we have a few options here:

1. Ride out the storm and release the pixelmon server anyways. Knowing that one day it will either be pulled from Technic or become outdated. Or as Towelie said we can hope someone will come along, decompile their source, and release it under a new name.

2. Make our own minecraft mod from scratch with similar features as pixelmon but not a complete 1:1 copy of Pokémon. This would take awhile and require more than a handful of developers.

3. Cut the cord and move along. Try to make as much money as you can from Pixelmon or scrap it, focus on improving and building other SFT servers, and try to keep SFT afloat.

Those are my .2 cents on the matter. Take it for what it's worth. They aren't the best options and of course you can take whatever course of action you guys think is necessary here.
1. What we are doing now
2. Not possible for us right now. Unless we receive ~100k in funding over night so we can pay a team of devs
3. We're trying #1 first, but if not, yeah..

blalp

Quote from: platerfin on Jul 14, 2017, 06:48 AMI know this idea is not the best but if the pix server does get deleted we could make some other type of popular mod pack instead

Lost islands (modded skyblock) https://www.superfuntime.org/serverstats/LostIslands
Ataack of the BTeam https://www.superfuntime.org/serverstats/B-Team
Have a fantastic day!