Mar 28, 2024, 11:48 AM

News:

Proudly established in 2010, still going!

Here's how this is going to go

Started by Towelie, Aug 19, 2017, 09:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towelie

Aug 19, 2017, 09:51 AM Last Edit: Aug 19, 2017, 10:13 AM by Towelie
Right, so, here's how this is going to go.
It's not an idea, not a suggestion, just a plan we are applying regardless of the opposition or any people that may not like it.
The Zero Tolerance Policy stays. There is absolutely nothing to talk to that, it's giving good results, the level of toxicity is already decreasing on Survival so it's staying.

I've asked my staff team what they thought about the Zero Tolerance Policy and the people who said it's bad, the only reason they thought it was bad was because of how some staff members were applying it (over zealous)

Quick recap:
- What the Zero Tolerance Policy is: It's an invitation to staff to apply the rules and no longer allow any toxic behavior to be part of our Survival server and SFT in general. Please note that this DOES NOT MEAN that players are not allowed to swear. They are allowed to swear and use any curseword as per our rules (eg: they can swear as long as not directed as someone).
- Who the zero tolerance policy was made against: The people who are always salty/toxic and who are constantly crossing the border between ok and not ok. For example, people who constantly troll staff / use cursewords to troll staff, people who constantly discuss sexual topics in main chat, even after asked to stop

The important part (for staff):
- Always make sure you warn someone / ask them to stop before you punish them. Afterwards, apply the punishments as per the punishment matrix. Please treat all ranks the same. Just because someone is a Legend, that doesn't mean they can get away with something.
Also, please let's be like lady justice: impartial (justice should not be applied based on wealth, social status, etc), swiftness (justice should be swift and final. Once we make a decision we cannot get back on it unless it is proven that the staff member in question acted with anterior motive) and in balance (don't apply different punishments for the same actions of two different people, maintain consistency)

The important part (for players):
- It's becoming obvious for me that some players took the Zero Tolerance Policy too literal and that some applied unjust punishment (eg: two people punishing the same issue differently). I'd like to let you know that it's IMPERATIVE that this is reported, otherwise we cannot know who is doing what wrong and correct it. A lot of criticism comes from the "lack of action". I ensure you / give you my word, action is ALWAYS taken, however some times it's handled privately / internally. For example, don't expect me to demote a staff member for doing something wrong, instead they will be first re-trained / explained what they did wrong and not how to make that mistake again

Please feel free and report any acts of abuse / impartiality of staff members, via forum pm to @TheStarNomad✯ @Britney1177 or @Towelie  (me). If you indicate that you wish to remain anonymous, we will NOT tell the staff members who the complaint is coming from. We value privacy, so we will sort this internally and will also give you an answer, in rough lines, what decision was taken.

This is my final decision and I accept all consequences from this, even the death of SFT if so it shall be.

Follow me on Instagram (i post cool stuff) https://www.instagram.com/toweliewtf/
Psst, got a Nintendo Switch? Add me -> SW-6574-1607-3796

Towelie

@TheStarNomad✯ @Britney1177  - Please make sure all staff read this. It's on the front page but I don't want to take any chances.

Follow me on Instagram (i post cool stuff) https://www.instagram.com/toweliewtf/

Relevant_Chaos

Read. It's a good policy and with good staff, it will be enforced. Thank you for standing your ground on this one. Let's make sft better than the day before!
Modded Manager. Long time SFT Doner and Builder Of Many Things
Also a meme lord
Also Gay AF

MrChanango

Owner of the legendary Wood4U!
Founder at ModMart!
Survival Mod 12/30/16 - Survival JMod 11/5/16
Survival Admin 12/23/17 - Survival Manager 7/17/17 -
Survival Elder 3/21/18

GoldenDruid76

Read it. Thanks for posting, Tow, it needed to be said :)
Just a person. Nothing to see here.

XZ_SLAUGHTER

Quote from: Towelie on Aug 19, 2017, 09:51 AMPlease note that this DOES NOT MEAN that players are not allowed to swear. They are allowed to swear and use any curseword as per our rules (eg: they can swear as long as not directed as someone).

So this means ALL swears are allowed to be said unless they're directed at a player or over-used?

GotAnError

I don't mind the policy. I think the policy is good and I do think toxicity needs to be regulated.

I just hope it will go in a proper way. This goes for both sides.
Screw the modern world! Our lovely earth is flat, ask the Medieval men!

Smileyface2288

SingaZe

Towelie

Quote from: XZ_SLAUGHTER on Aug 19, 2017, 01:58 PM
Quote from: Towelie on Aug 19, 2017, 09:51 AMPlease note that this DOES NOT MEAN that players are not allowed to swear. They are allowed to swear and use any curseword as per our rules (eg: they can swear as long as not directed as someone).

So this means ALL swears are allowed to be said unless they're directed at a player or over-used?

Yes. that was always the case and it's regretable that some staff members forgot that.

Towelie

Quote from: GotAnError on Aug 19, 2017, 02:02 PMI don't mind the policy. I think the policy is good and I do think toxicity needs to be regulated.

I just hope it will go in a proper way. This goes for both sides.
Fully agreed. Hopefully the server gets out of this with a better playerbase and a better staff team.

lionblaze10

R & U.

Glad to see you stand your ground
Honour: If you need it defined, you don't have it

Sassy1233

Live life how it's supposed to be lived
Proud member of the LGBTQ+ community

PurpleRebal

Read and understood. Great post!
Pocket Admin and AHoS

Aelia Angel

Former Pocket Mod
If you fail, fail foward. Don't be the victim of the hard times. This is what it takes to be successful.

_iPhoenix

Dpa1991

Quote from: Towelie on Aug 19, 2017, 02:51 PM

Yes. that was always the case and it's regretable that some staff members forgot that.

Should highly reconsider that with racial and derogatory swears. @Towelie

Towelie

Quote from: Dpa1991 on Aug 19, 2017, 05:31 PM

If I have to specify that, I've lost faith in humanity.
So yes, obviously, any racial/derogatory speech will be strictly forbidden and punished.

4dan7

R&U Tow, This needed to be said.
Keep It Classy.-4Dan

IiRr22Bb

XZ_SLAUGHTER

Quote from: Towelie on Aug 19, 2017, 05:41 PM

So yes, obviously, any racial/derogatory speech will be strictly forbidden and punished.

Well does that mean i can say C*nt to my heart's desire?

Lucy_23x

Quote from: XZ_SLAUGHTER on Aug 19, 2017, 07:00 PM
Quote from: Towelie on Aug 19, 2017, 05:41 PM

Well does that mean i can say C*nt to my heart's desire?
I dont think so lol

Quote from: sparkydeathcap on Feb 17, 2016, 04:07 AMand also; how old are you? I've always imagined you as like a old irish man that drinks whiskey and screams at people to get off his lawn while sitting on a bench in the park. But I'm pretty sure that's not the case because if it was: 1. you're a pedophile and 2. you're a pedophile

Nicadean33

Here's a few words that I would say should be extremely thought about before using:

Actually don't think just don't say these words:
  • The derogatory term for a person of dark skin color that start with the letter "n"
  • The derogatory term for a person who prefers to spend their affection on members of the same sex, particularly male, that starts with the letter "f"
  • The term used to most often mock the intelligence level of a person who has 0 control over such level that starts with the letter "r"

Highly debatable to be used, would need to be clarified further if allowed:
  • The word with the direct definition of "a person born of unmarried parents; an illegitimate child" that starts with the letter "b"
  • The word with the direct definition of "a contemptuous term used to refer to a women" that starts with the letter "c"

Thank you dictionary.com for the definitions under the "highly debatable" column.

Towelie

If you ask me, Towelie the guy, I'll tell you that I believe words are just words. George Carlin describes it better:

However, if you ask me Towelie the Owner, I'll say there are children playing on this gaming community and while it's not our responsibility to educate them, it is our responsibility to provide a safe, friendly environment for everyone regardless of age, race, sexual orientation or any other factors that a person doesn't have control over.

The c word - Americans seem to really dislike it and consider it derogatory and for that reason, I am going to ask you to abstain from using it.

The r word - since this is the internet, it's probably just better to avoid this word as well.

Racist remarks such as the n-word and other variants are strictly NO NO. Due to the extremely charged history, these should be damn straight avoided.

Homophobic words such as f.... q.... and so on are also to be avoided.

Bastard on the other hand.... Yeah, go ahead and use that as freely as you want. Just don't taunt people with it if they are actually an illegitimate child and seem upset about it.

BioPh33r

Quote from: Towelie on Aug 19, 2017, 08:01 PMIf you ask me, Towelie the guy, I'll tell you that I believe words are just words. George Carlin describes it better:

Bastard on the other hand.... Yeah, go ahead and use that as freely as you want.

God Dammit, you Bastards!

Towlie Killed Kenny!

stormshooter

Quote from: Towelie on Aug 19, 2017, 08:01 PMHomophobic words such as f.... q.... and so on are also to be avoided.
If queer is used as an insult I agree the player saying it should be warned or banned, but if not it should be allowed.

Towelie

Quote from: TeraStorm on Aug 20, 2017, 09:55 AM
Quote from: Towelie on Aug 19, 2017, 08:01 PMHomophobic words such as f.... q.... and so on are also to be avoided.
If queer is used as an insult I agree the player saying it should be warned or banned, but if not it should be allowed.
I agree with you, with the contingency that we don't get a shit storm of people reporting the use of that word as offensive, even if not targeted at someone.

Bakonator

R&U, but imo, "Zero Tolerance" policies often (though not always) mean individuals are responsible for knowing rules, and warnings aren't part of the fun (hence "Zero" tolerance). This, since we're a gaming community, could be too harsh. So, if you (individual(s) who are salty about getting banned from one of our servers/the forum and decided to bombard us with fake accs to harass us) should really know we're giving you second chances 'round 'ere.

not tryin' to change anything, just for the folks to see. I'm down with ZT.

XZ_SLAUGHTER

Quote from: MetaBird on Aug 20, 2017, 04:16 PMR&U, but imo, "Zero Tolerance" policies often (though not always) mean individuals are responsible for knowing rules, and warnings aren't part of the fun (hence "Zero" tolerance). This, since we're a gaming community, could be too harsh. So, if you (individual(s) who are salty about getting banned from one of our servers/the forum and decided to bombard us with fake accs to harass us) should really know we're giving you second chances 'round 'ere.

not tryin' to change anything, just for the folks to see. I'm down with ZT.

Like the comment. Hate the use of italics