Mar 28, 2024, 03:19 PM

News:

Please vote for us daily!

Forums vs EU stupidity

Started by Towelie, Oct 04, 2018, 05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towelie

Not sure if many of you know, but a LOT of forums are shutting down recently due to the absurd EU laws.
Basically, if the law passes, I am liable if any member of my forum uploads or embeds a copyrighted image on my forum.

Due to this, most likely I will either shut down the forums or disable uploading of files and [img] and [youtube] tags.
Thoughts? comments? Feedback? Inside info?

https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/12/17849868/eu-internet-copyright-reform-article-11-13-approved

Follow me on Instagram (i post cool stuff) https://www.instagram.com/toweliewtf/
Psst, got a Nintendo Switch? Add me -> SW-6574-1607-3796

Nubbun

If it happens then i'd say disable posting files, then open a discord channel where we can refer to whenever we wanna add a pic but avoid actually posting it here.

\(◎o◎)/

Towelie

Quote from: Nubbun on Oct 04, 2018, 05:48 PMIf it happens then i'd say disable posting files, then open a discord channel where we can refer to whenever we wanna add a pic but avoid actually posting it here.
[8:50 PM] 🦇Towelie🧛: That could be an option
[8:51 PM] 🦇Towelie🧛: but one could argue, what if a EU author's work is copied and pasted on SFT in text
[8:51 PM] 🦇Towelie🧛: that's still a copyright breach that I'd be liable for xd

Follow me on Instagram (i post cool stuff) https://www.instagram.com/toweliewtf/
Psst, got a Nintendo Switch? Add me -> SW-6574-1607-3796

lioneatszebra

Oct 04, 2018, 06:45 PM #3 Last Edit: Oct 04, 2018, 06:56 PM by djkirsh
If it's an EU law, does that mean sites that are hosted in the EU are at risk? If so, host the website in Canada or something... I don't see how they'd be able to enforce that on the probably billions of websites out there. I'll have to look further into it.

Also, I took many media law classes (the hardest things I've ever done) a few years ago which of course covered copyright laws. As long as you're not making money off of the images and you credit where it came from, you should be fine. Most of what SFT would use copyrighted images for would be limited and therefore you'd be protected under the fair use clause. Fair use is for commentary, parodies and criticism. My company uses copyrighted images a lot, but we always credit where it came from and we are protected under fair use that way.
brb, living offline

Th3RedGamer

Why not transfer the site to a US server

Aymaneto

Oct 04, 2018, 08:40 PM #5 Last Edit: Oct 04, 2018, 08:50 PM by Aymaneto
If it comes down to it disable uploading img files.
Like djkirsh said, can't you host the website in another country so this wouldn't happen? To be honest shutting down the forums is too absurd and not needed if there's a solution  

The link you provided says the directive itself is still waiting for a final vote in January 2019, So we have a bit of time to figure this out

Nubbun

🦇Towelie🧛I dag kl. 19:50
[20:47, 10/4/2018] Dapsters: What if we put the forums in my name
[20:47, 10/4/2018] Sergiu Niculae: then you'd get in huge trouble lol
[20:48, 10/4/2018] Sergiu Niculae: doesnt matter if hosted here or in us
[20:48, 10/4/2018] Dapsters: Even though I'm not in EU?
[20:48, 10/4/2018] Dapsters: Lame
[20:48, 10/4/2018] Sergiu Niculae: if a copyrighted material belonging to an EU say... film production label or music label is posted
[20:48, 10/4/2018] Sergiu Niculae: you are in deep shit
[20:48, 10/4/2018] Dapsters: Dumb laws

To the people asking if the site can be moved to US or something, won't work apparently

\(◎o◎)/

platerfin

Probably a reason not to but you could move the channels from the forum to the main discord or a secondary one