Mar 28, 2024, 03:50 PM

News:

Proudly established in 2010, still going!

[Survival] An important change regarding Hoppers

Started by Towelie, Sep 26, 2019, 02:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towelie

After studying the cause of lag on Survival, we determined that to be Hoppers.
We are currently trying an experimental fix, which may or may not break your redstone contraptions.

Until now:
ticks-per:
  hopper-transfer: 8
  hopper-check: 1
hopper-amount: 1

This means: Every 8 ticks (1 tick = 1/20 of a second), one item gets passed through a hopper (note: this could be slower, the example above is for 20TPS)
Also every 1 tick, hoppers get checked!? (I don't understand that either)

Now:
ticks-per:
  hopper-transfer: 24
  hopper-check: 24
hopper-amount: 3

- Every 24 ticks , 3 items are passed
- Every 24 ticks hoppers are checked !?

Basically what you need to know is that hoppers will be slower, but will transfer 3 items at once instead of 1 to compensate for it.

Do not adjust any redstone yet, as this is just for a trial period and we are not sure if we are keeping this (if it turns out it helps immensely with the lag, we will)

Follow me on Instagram (i post cool stuff) https://www.instagram.com/toweliewtf/
Psst, got a Nintendo Switch? Add me -> SW-6574-1607-3796

Waddupcuz

I'll just stop using hoppers, not wanting to move things manually isnt worth lagging others xd

Towelie

Quote from: Waddupcuz on Sep 26, 2019, 03:04 PMI'll just stop using hoppers, not wanting to move things manually isnt worth lagging others xd
No need, just wait for a couple of days to see if we're sticking with this, and then adjust your redstone accordingly if we are :P

Follow me on Instagram (i post cool stuff) https://www.instagram.com/toweliewtf/

Autpek

Thanks for always looking at ways to improve our experience!

Towelie

Looks like we're going to keep this as it has significantly decreased lag

George

This update breaks all item sorters and big smelters from what i have tested so far. Item slowing systems dont work since the 3 items movement cant be bypassed. I would like this update to be reverted.
Hey! Sorry but you don't have permission to view that!

Towelie

Quote from: George_Filos on Sep 27, 2019, 07:33 PMThis update breaks all item sorters and big smelters from what i have tested so far. Item slowing systems dont work since the 3 items movement cant be bypassed. I would like this update to be reverted.
There are ways to probably fix your redstone to do that. This makes a great difference on lag and reverting it would mean having a lot of lag. The alternative is disabling hoppers entirely which probably isnt something people desire

George

Quote from: Towelie on Sep 28, 2019, 01:17 PM
Quote from: George_Filos on Sep 27, 2019, 07:33 PMThis update breaks all item sorters and big smelters from what i have tested so far. Item slowing systems dont work since the 3 items movement cant be bypassed. I would like this update to be reverted.
There are ways to probably fix your redstone to do that. This makes a great difference on lag and reverting it would mean having a lot of lag. The alternative is disabling hoppers entirely which probably isnt something people desire

The only way to fix this is Item slowers which also dont work. I will try to come up with more stuff eventualy but i dont realy want to add a 3x3 thing in all my hopper lines. I mean the best for the server matters so I'll get working on it.

Towelie

Quote from: George_Filos on Sep 29, 2019, 08:24 AMThe only way to fix this is Item slowers which also dont work. I will try to come up with more stuff eventualy but i dont realy want to add a 3x3 thing in all my hopper lines. I mean the best for the server matters so I'll get working on it.
Please let me know of your findings. IF there is really no way to make things work then I guess i'll have to roll back the change. Looking forward for your input.

George

Quote from: Towelie on Sep 29, 2019, 09:09 AM
Quote from: George_Filos on Sep 29, 2019, 08:24 AMThe only way to fix this is Item slowers which also dont work. I will try to come up with more stuff eventualy but i dont realy want to add a 3x3 thing in all my hopper lines. I mean the best for the server matters so I'll get working on it.
Please let me know of your findings. IF there is really no way to make things work then I guess i'll have to roll back the change. Looking forward for your input.

I tried slowing down the items but There is no way to bypass that it will ouput with 3 items