[Survival] Let's talk about Survival

Started by Towelie, Apr 14, 2021, 11:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PyroTempus

Quote from: omelet on Apr 17, 2021, 12:58 PMIf survival was more about "survival," I don't I don't think the server would still be around. There's only so much you can do in survival Minecraft before you've basically done everything and you're ready to quit. We have a lot of plugins because they give players more things to do.

One of the constant things I hear from players who no longer play or are on the verge of quitting is that they feel  like they've done everything and have nothing left to do. The solution then, in my opinion, is to continue adding plugins that give players who are older something to continue working forward to.

I think pyrofishing and mining were a  good start, and I know a few older players who really like those plugins. But the initial investment they require is very cheap (most players will have a maxed out pick/fishing rod within a day to a week of joining). The upfront rewards for pyrofishing and mining are also very lucrative, but most players end up quitting after a few months of grinding because the endgame rewards/buffs (augments/vessels) are useless/not worth the time and fishing in one spot/mining in a straight line for hours on end gets to be very boring.

So id like to see some new plug-in(s) implemented that is specifically meant for us older players, which demand a rather expensive upfront investment. But it must also have endgame rewards that are worth working towards and not be as boring as fishing/mining.

Just my opinion.
If you feel this way towards mining and fishing - why hasn't a suggestion been made to try make the grind less 'grindy'. The configuration has all of the possible options there to buff augments, vessels, entropy, zeta, requium gain, etc.

If you want to make it less grindy and more 'worth it' (I don't understand you saying most of them are 'useless' but we'll save that for another day) - but maybe consider increasing the values to make the grind less substantial.

I do believe SFT could be running old configuration files (don't quote me on this) and I have since rebalanced the default config multiple times to balance this discrepency out.

I had someone on another server who using default values, managed to farm 1 million entropy in just under a week. This is more then enough to make 10 - 20 augments, depending on what you want. As for mining, Zeta is quite easy to come by since a lot of the server do mine from my experience. Yes, some of the Vessel effects might need buffing - but nothing has ever been relayed to me regarding this conversation (if one existed).

A lot of people do enjoy fishing and mining and yoinking them would probably upset a lot of people because of the time invested into those plugins.

I personally quit because I took a break and my entire base got BVC'd and deleted and I didn't feel like starting over again. I do think there should be something else to spend money on though. Money seems quite easy to come by and having some money sinks to dump money into could be nice. Even if it's just cosmetics or something unique, it would be nice.

And possibily some end-game content as well. Like @omelet stated, there isn't a lot of end-game content outside of fishing and mining (from what I remember). Maybe catering to those players who you already have might be a good idea.

A lot of servers these days lean towards Towny and not so much survival. I don't want to say considering changing to Towny, but its a prospect to and avenue to explore possibily for 1.17 if you decide to do a server reset.

TLDR: Consider buffing fishing / mining entropy and zeta (and augment values if you want) to make the grind not as 'grindy'. I would however get general feedback on this and be careful in increasing some values as they can have a negative impact on the experience overall if not buffed in consideration. And add some end-game content to cater for the players who are already around who might not have a lot of content left to explore.

Just my two cents though as an old player.

Towelie

Quote from: PyroTempus on Apr 20, 2021, 11:37 AMI do believe SFT could be running old configuration files (don't quote me on this) and I have since rebalanced the default config multiple times to balance this discrepency out.
Nah, we got @Wppvater now and he's keeping stuff updated and stuff :D

Follow me on Instagram (i post cool stuff) https://www.instagram.com/toweliewtf/
Psst, got a Nintendo Switch? Add me -> SW-6574-1607-3796

Towelie

Quote from: PyroTempus on Apr 20, 2021, 11:37 AMA lot of people do enjoy fishing and mining and yoinking them would probably upset a lot of people because of the time invested into those plugins.
Honestly if I removed PyroFishing rn my server would be dead. So yeah, It def wasn't on my chopping block xd
Mining is also well liked by a lot of people.

Follow me on Instagram (i post cool stuff) https://www.instagram.com/toweliewtf/

Towelie

Quote from: PyroTempus on Apr 20, 2021, 11:37 AMTLDR: Consider buffing fishing / mining entropy and zeta (and augment values if you want) to make the grind not as 'grindy'. I would however get general feedback on this and be careful in increasing some values as they can have a negative impact on the experience overall if not buffed in consideration. And add some end-game content to cater for the players who are already around who might not have a lot of content left to explore.
@Wppvater You want to do that? But like Pyro said, careful, don't over buff, and maybe we can consult with Pyro when we are not sure of a value