What is a BCV and how do I report them?

Started by Kaninka, Jun 16, 2014, 12:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaninka

Jun 16, 2014, 12:25 PM Last Edit: Mar 06, 2021, 03:46 PM by D_Doge23
NOTE: This post is to help explain details of rules contained in our general rules thread.  If you believe something in this post contradicts a rule stated elsewhere, please bring it to the attention of a staff member.  Thank you!

WILL BE UPDATED WHEN NECESSARY - Latest update: 30/11/20

BCV is been a huge part of our servers for a very long time.
BCV stands for Building code Violation, it is basically a building or a structure that violates our building rules.

BCV's are basically one of the main reasons our Worlds last as long as they do, the more BCV's we get done, the longer a World will last. That's a fact.

Some of our building rules is located in the grey area, which means, Staff can easily disagree with one another, what is right and wrong, and it can end up depending on the Staff member him(her)self.
But most are very clear and without doubt :)

The reasons for a BCV is:
- Inactive Owner
- Abandoned/Griefed
(Beyond repair)
- No sign of Ownership (No LWC, no Protection, No signs saying "Hello my name is Kaninka2, I live here" etc.
- Wall (A wall is a BCV, unless it has buildings within 10 blocks everywhere, an example of a BCV is:

So making a giant wall, with nothing in it, thinking "This is my area", will result in a BCV, and the wall will be deleted and your protection modified.
- 1x1 Towers (You don't need to report BCV here, just call a Mod or JMod and ask them to tear it down)
- Too close to another building (This one happens a lot, respect your neighbours, build at least 20 blocks away from them, if you build anyway, then the first one will stay and the other will become a BCV)
- Within 100 blocks of a Town (This one is only valid if the Town came FIRST, you can't build a Town in the middle of a lot of players and expect them to become BCV's, worst case scenario: Your entire Town becomes the BCV)

If you should happen to fall upon a possible BCV, and it matches one of the reasons above. Then say something like:
"JMod+ For BCV please :)"
A Staff member will then come to you, and check if it is a BCV.
If it is a BCV, this will be placed infront of the Building:

The removal date will always be a week after the BCV is discovered, that is to give the possible Owners some time to come back and disagree with the BCV.

FAQ:

I'm going on vacation, how do I prevent my house from becoming a BCV?
- You can either post in the Inactivity Board, saying you leave and when you will be returning, to be 100% sure it is secure, put signs on your house stating you are away and mention the date you will return.

This house is missing it's windows, is it a BCV for griefing?
- No, Griefing is only a reason when you can barely recognize the house.

This BCV is pretty, can I buy it?
- No, we don't sell BCV's or allow people to claim it.

Thank you for reading :)  :zombie:

GotAnError

I have one question. Does the 100-block from towns rule count for buildings in the sky as well?
Screw the modern world! Our lovely earth is flat, ask the Medieval men!

Kaninka

Quote from: GotAnError on Jun 16, 2014, 12:35 PM
I have one question. Does the 100-block from towns rule count for buildings in the sky as well?

Good question, depends, are we talking in height, like a floating building above a town?  :zombie:
If in height, it depends if the building in the air is blocking light for the Town. And if the building was first, you can maybe arrange something like the floating building getting moved a little away from town, depending on size. 

GotAnError

Quote from: Kaninka on Jun 16, 2014, 12:49 PM

Good question, depends, are we talking in height, like a floating building above a town?  :zombie:
If in height, it depends if the building in the air is blocking light for the Town. And if the building was first, you can maybe arrange something like the floating building getting moved a little away from town, depending on size.

In height, yup, because 100 blocks above a town that is, let's say, built at level 68 and is 30 blocks high, that would mean I could start building at 68 + 30 + 100 = level 198. Then I wouldn't have much space to build up any more. Plus, buildings usually block light, or they musn't be directly above the building on the ground.

Also, I may assume there is a way for you to find out which building has been built first? Because for all I know, I cannot show evidence of me building there sooner.

As for my last point, what if a town and a building are built at the same exact time? What rules count then? The building that is finished first can stay, or will the town be the one to stay because it's a town?
Screw the modern world! Our lovely earth is flat, ask the Medieval men!

Kaninka

Quote from: GotAnError on Jun 16, 2014, 02:34 PM
Quote from: Kaninka on Jun 16, 2014, 12:49 PM

In height, yup, because 100 blocks above a town that is, let's say, built at level 68 and is 30 blocks high, that would mean I could start building at 68 + 30 + 100 = level 198. Then I wouldn't have much space to build up any more. Plus, buildings usually block light, or they musn't be directly above the building on the ground.

Also, I may assume there is a way for you to find out which building has been built first? Because for all I know, I cannot show evidence of me building there sooner.

As for my last point, what if a town and a building are built at the same exact time? What rules count then? The building that is finished first can stay, or will the town be the one to stay because it's a town?

In first part if you know a Town is below, I think you shouldn't build there.
We have certain ways to check :P
Give me a warp to your build, then I will check whats up :)  :zombie:

TheMop123

Question
if u are building a town and you build the wall first, could you leave signs inside the wall saying that you plan on building in there or doesn't it work like that?

ddude_stnom

Quote from: TheMop123 on Jun 20, 2014, 06:36 AM
Question
if u are building a town and you build the wall first, could you leave signs inside the wall saying that you plan on building in there or doesn't it work like that?

Normally, a BCV sign would be placed there saying 'Unfinished' or 'Incomplete'. Then if you were going to continue building, you can just remove the signs and the build won't be BCV'ed.

wyte21

how about if i have seen empty chest, torches, work bench in the wild. Can i break it and burn it/keep it? or if i saw a spawner that is not protected can i keep it?

Eternal_Jamie

Quote from: wyte21 on Jan 18, 2015, 12:59 PM
how about if i have seen empty chest, torches, work bench in the wild. Can i break it and burn it/keep it? or if i saw a spawner that is not protected can i keep it?
Can't take blocks players have placed which aren't yours. But say you're in an underground mineshaft or find a dungeon underground then yes you can take the stuff there as it was generated with the world, not by players. And yes you can claim spawnners if no one else has.

paul_weebird

is a bcv a town because it sometimes gets bcv   I think so ya

ddude_stnom

Quote from: paul_weebird on Feb 13, 2015, 04:52 PM
is a bcv a town because it sometimes gets bcv   I think so ya

Towns can be BCV'ed, providing all owners and members of the town have exceeded the inactive period.

Kaninka

Towns can be a BCV if:
Too close to others and the town came last.
All owners are inactive and the members are either inactive or have abandoned the town.

That's about it for Towns :)  :zombie:

paul_weebird

theres a biggist house in my town and my town was here first so their town is bcv

ddude_stnom

Quote from: Paul_Weebird on Apr 05, 2015, 02:16 PM
theres a biggist house in my town and my town was here first so their town is bcv

Contact a staff member in game, and am sure they will be able to help you out.

platerfin

This BCV is pretty, can I buy it?
- No, we don't sell BCV's.

Thank you for reading :)  :zombie:
[/quote]
^
Because greafers will abuse it and its a staff comand

toxic_foxtrot

That is one of the most frequent questions I get in-game... "I found this BCV can i claim it?" I would suggest that everyone should tell their friends to read this post, as it should answer all your questions about this subject.

Tyvic

What if the BCV was an error and you didn't see the signs?

My farm became a BCV and was removed for being too close to another. Meanwhile, the other build was owned by me AND the farm was in the same protection as the other build, so I don't understand why they BCV'ed it in the first place.

Kaninka

Quote from: SFTGamingFTW on Aug 07, 2015, 03:24 PMWhat if the BCV was an error and you didn't see the signs?

My farm became a BCV and was removed for being too close to another. Meanwhile, the other build was owned by me AND the farm was in the same protection as the other build, so I don't understand why they BCV'ed it in the first place.

Would you mind creating a warp to the exact coords of your build?  :zombie:

Tyvic

Aug 12, 2015, 02:34 AM #18 Last Edit: Jul 09, 2016, 12:54 PM by MrRed2016
/warp Kraang_Caverns and turn around, the farm used to be there, I started to rebuild it too.

xJade

@misspiggy95 states this needs to be updated to mod+ does it really need too? just asking for the future. 
Quote from: Kaninka on Jun 16, 2014, 12:25 PM1x1 Towers (You don't need to report BCV here, just call a Mod or JMod and ask them to tear it down)

:redflower: :redflower::redflower::redflower::redflower::redflower::redflower::redflower::redflower::redflower:

:heart:You MUST learn to help yourself. Thats how you become stronger. :heart:

Dkxpl126

Quote from: frankie_jay17 on Jan 12, 2016, 11:08 PM@misspiggy95 states this needs to be updated to mod+ does it really need too? just asking for the future. 
Quote from: Kaninka on Jun 16, 2014, 12:25 PM1x1 Towers (You don't need to report BCV here, just call a Mod or JMod and ask them to tear it down)

As far as I know, it is mod+ to tear those down @frankie_jay17

xJade

Quote from: Dkxpl on Jan 13, 2016, 02:46 AM
Quote from: frankie_jay17 on Jan 12, 2016, 11:08 PM@misspiggy95 states this needs to be updated to mod+ does it really need too? just asking for the future. 

As far as I know, it is mod+ to tear those down @frankie_jay17
okay ty ^^

:redflower: :redflower::redflower::redflower::redflower::redflower::redflower::redflower::redflower::redflower:

:heart:You MUST learn to help yourself. Thats how you become stronger. :heart:

Kaninka

Both Jmods and Mods may tear these down, without any need of asking a Manager. They can of course ask a Manager too, since it is faster to remove them with worldedit. But if a Manager isn't online. Any staff may take them down. Of course if it is protected, it is a different case, then it is suddenly a building lol, and the other reasons may apply.  :zombie:

misspiggy95

Jan 13, 2016, 05:05 PM #23 Last Edit: Jan 13, 2016, 05:10 PM by misspiggy95
Quote from: Kaninka on Jan 13, 2016, 01:56 PM

Both Jmods and Mods may tear these down, without any need of asking a Manager. They can of course ask a Manager too, since it is faster to remove them with worldedit. But if a Manager isn't online. Any staff may take them down. Of course if it is protected, it is a different case, then it is suddenly a building lol, and the other reasons may apply.  :zombie:
Kaninka I sent you a PM regarding the info, for my references I cannot post here:)

Melons are love. Melons are life

AtomicPulse

Removed info about the veteran world as it no longer exists
BTeam Owner | Survival Admin | Creative JMod

Ex - Factions FMod | Prison Guard