[Poll] What game server should we host next?

Started by Towelie, Mar 28, 2018, 05:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of the following games should SFT host?

Unturned
22 (57.9%)
PixArk
23 (60.5%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Voting closed: Apr 02, 2018, 05:08 PM

Towelie

Hi everyone,
We currently have two candidates for games we should host next:
- Unturned
- PixArk

Facts:
- PixArk is like Ark : Survival Evolved + Minecraft combined into a game
- Out of the two Unturned is the least resource intensive (meaning it will work on a wider variety of computers)
- Unturned is said to have been made very hard to play (the difficulty is high) so that may be an issue
- PixArk seems to require a beefier PC than Unturned
- Unturned is Free to Play, PixArk is $20

Please vote for the game you would play between the two if SFT had a server

Follow me on Instagram (i post cool stuff) https://www.instagram.com/toweliewtf/
Psst, got a Nintendo Switch? Add me -> SW-6574-1607-3796

GotAnError

Screw the modern world! Our lovely earth is flat, ask the Medieval men!

werewolfxx5

Mar 28, 2018, 05:11 PM #2 Last Edit: Mar 29, 2018, 05:59 AM by Wolfy
PixArk simply because it is new and has good rating so far. However, unturned is free and will most likely have more players at the moment.
Former B-Team: Elder | 1.7.10: Elder/ Ex-AHoS
Prison: Ex/JMod | Pocket: Legend | Survival: Veteran
Pixelmon: Pikachu | Pixelmon Classic: Legendary / Ex-JMod | Creative: Dabbler

Mrs_Ender88

Hate to say this but neither one sound very good.
Life is what you make it, so make it great.
Love with all your heart.
❤Mrs_Ender❤ - Today at 2:25 PM >8ball should I be binned?
HovenBOT - Today at 2:25 PM As I see it, yes

treefart

I have over 300 hours on unturned, I love the game. I think it's perfect for SFT when taking into account the current player base. Lots of players stick to survival because they computers can't run modded. Although, I'd be happy to play either one.
Best tree on survival

stormshooter

I'm an avid play of Ark survival evolved and would definitely buy PixArk if SFT hosted a server.

Quote from: Mrs_Ender88 on Mar 28, 2018, 05:12 PMHate to say this but neither one sound very good.
What doesn't sound good about them?

RallyReaper

Im voting PixARK cause of multiple reasons. 1, It's got that minecraft look to it that people on here would like (Kinda how the community is lol) and 2 it's ARK Survival but with new twists and a growing player database. Plus we've tried Unturned before and everytime it flops. Mainly due to the PvP aspect. PvP games and SFT mix as well as oil and vinegar lol, All that ends up happening is OP Squad, Dominates server, Everyone quits, server dies.

But with PixARK we have a new game, with new mechanics, PvP AND PvE aspects as well as Entertaining things such as dungeons, voxel building, World Bosses, Magic ETC...

Ultimately Pixark would be the better choice here.

Dpa1991

Quote from: RallyReaper on Mar 28, 2018, 05:55 PMIm voting PixARK cause of multiple reasons. 1, It's got that minecraft look to it that people on here would like (Kinda how the community is lol) and 2 it's ARK Survival but with new twists and a growing player database. Plus we've tried Unturned before and everytime it flops. Mainly due to the PvP aspect. PvP games and SFT mix as well as oil and vinegar lol, All that ends up happening is OP Squad, Dominates server, Everyone quits, server dies.

But with PixARK we have a new game, with new mechanics, PvP AND PvE aspects as well as Entertaining things such as dungeons, voxel building, World Bosses, Magic ETC...

Ultimately Pixark would be the better choice here.

Don't people like oil and vinegar together though? Like on black beans and rice

xJade

:redflower: :redflower::redflower::redflower::redflower::redflower::redflower::redflower::redflower::redflower:

:heart:You MUST learn to help yourself. Thats how you become stronger. :heart:

RallyReaper

Everyone has their opinion on things, But please a reminder. If you aren't interested, please don't vote. Because doing so will effect the poll and we need real numbers!

MonkeyJiblets

Mar 29, 2018, 01:17 AM #10 Last Edit: Mar 29, 2018, 01:34 AM by MonkeyJiblets
I think both games sound like a great option. Moving away from Minecraft related elements is good for SFT in my opinion, though I feel the Survival player base is larger and more active than that of the modded playerbase, simply because its easier to run. Not everyone has a computer capable of comfortably running modded servers and for that reason I think SFT should stay within a reasonable area for how graphically demanding a game is. While there are loads of fun games like Rust, Arma 3, and DayZ, not everyone has a computer capable of running the game, ultimately meaning the player base will be small. Unturned is a very fun game, though I agree with earlier posts about SFT and PvP not mixing. But Pixark I feel is a good game for SFT to push out too from Minecraft. For the reasons that it is pixelated, and there are loads of things to do besides kill other players. Even though it costs $20, so does Minecraft and we all play that. So there's the reason I voted for Pixark. :D
"All Great Things Come With An Equally Great Criticism" -MonkeyJiblets 2k18

Dday694

Ive already given my opinion on what games we as sft should possibly move to and its neither of these

Towelie

Quote from: Dday694 on Mar 29, 2018, 03:08 AMIve already given my opinion on what games we as sft should possibly move to and its neither of these

which then?

Follow me on Instagram (i post cool stuff) https://www.instagram.com/toweliewtf/

Towelie

Does't look like PixArk will be happening due to the really high server requirements:
Windows 7, 8, 8.1, Server 2008, Server 2012 & 64-Bit

Quad Core processor (requires up to 2 full cores)

Up to 16GB memory (currently uses around 6GB memory minimum and up to 15GB of memory for a full server)

Issue 1: Needs Windows. That eliminates all the servers we have as they are all linux, and also any Windows server we may want to rent will also include a licensing fee for the Windows license...
Issue 2: Requires ~16GB RAM.

So this eliminates the option of self hosting. We could pay for a hosting service at ~0.8EUR / slot (so for a 16 slot server we'd pay $12.8 / mo, but most likely other fees will come for a dedicated ip, etc)
So, I would only do it if we have ~8-10 people that are commited to playing on the server if we do launch it. So can we get a head count of who would be interested to play and actually has the game?

treefart

Quote from: Towelie on Mar 29, 2018, 02:35 PMDoes't look like PixArk will be happening due to the really high server requirements:

Up to 16GB memory (currently uses around 6GB memory minimum and up to 15GB of memory for a full server)

Issue 1: Needs Windows. That eliminates all the servers we have as they are all linux, and also any Windows server we may want to rent will also include a licensing fee for the Windows license...

So this eliminates the option of self hosting. We could pay for a hosting service at ~0.8EUR / slot (so for a 16 slot server we'd pay $12.8 / mo, but most likely other fees will come for a dedicated ip, etc)
So, I would only do it if we have ~8-10 people that are commited to playing on the server if we do launch it. So can we get a head count of who would be interested to play and actually has the game?

I have two friends that would play. I still like unturned better though :P
Best tree on survival

Dday694

Mar 29, 2018, 10:02 PM #16 Last Edit: Mar 29, 2018, 10:44 PM by Dday694
Quote from: Towelie on Mar 29, 2018, 07:52 AM
Quote from: Dday694 on Mar 29, 2018, 03:08 AMIve already given my opinion on what games we as sft should possibly move to and its neither of these

which then?

If I would recommend some games that even if we cannot make servers in, are games that we as a community can play are

Half Dead

Duck Game

Human Fall Flat

Subnautica (Possibly moving to multiplayer later)

Gang Beasts

Its a few, but it is a start.

RallyReaper

Quote from: Dday694 on Mar 29, 2018, 10:02 PM

which then?

If I would recommend some games that even if we cannot make servers in, are games that we as a community can play are

Half Dead

Duck Game

Human Fall Flat

Gang Beasts

Out of all those, i feel the only one that COULD get a bit of traction is subnautica. The rest are just kinda 4-player coop things you do with like a few close friends and that's it. Not really a game that a server could work with.

MonkeyJiblets

Quote from: Towelie on Mar 29, 2018, 02:35 PMDoes't look like PixArk will be happening due to the really high server requirements:

I'd play
"All Great Things Come With An Equally Great Criticism" -MonkeyJiblets 2k18

MrToasT_

I think that the next server should be made an unturned server. It's free and it requires less ram and computer requirements and plus it's not too hard to figure out after a few tutorials or a bit of refreshing of what you need to start. An unturned server can connect friends easily silence its free and not so resource demanding of a game. PixArk is 20$ (USD) and has a lesser chance of people joining more than unturned because unturned is a fun, mouldable game that a server can be made with better maps, mods and more shit like the ( on a side note if an unturned server is made I would like to apply for staff if possible, I play that game a lot )

Thanks for reading.

Ya boi
-Toaster Strudel

(Ps. Idk if a staff roll isn't open)
Ya Boi

ToasT-

RallyReaper

Quote from: MrToasT_ on Mar 29, 2018, 11:35 PMI think that the next server should be made an unturned server. It's free and it requires less ram and computer requirements and plus it's not too hard to figure out after a few tutorials or a bit of refreshing of what you need to start. An unturned server can connect friends easily silence its free and not so resource demanding of a game. PixArk is 20$ (USD) and has a lesser chance of people joining more than unturned because unturned is a fun, mouldable game that a server can be made with better maps, mods and more shit like the ( on a side note if an unturned server is made I would like to apply for staff if possible, I play that game a lot )

Thanks for reading.

Ya boi
-Toaster Strudel

But the thing that people are failing to remember is that SFT and PvP don't go well. Unturned is free, however the fact still boils down to it being a HEAVY pvp game. Without it, it's lacking. With it, People rage quit. There's no winning.

treefart

Quote from: RallyReaper on Mar 30, 2018, 12:16 AM
Quote from: MrToasT_ on Mar 29, 2018, 11:35 PMI think that the next server should be made an unturned server. It's free and it requires less ram and computer requirements and plus it's not too hard to figure out after a few tutorials or a bit of refreshing of what you need to start. An unturned server can connect friends easily silence its free and not so resource demanding of a game. PixArk is 20$ (USD) and has a lesser chance of people joining more than unturned because unturned is a fun, mouldable game that a server can be made with better maps, mods and more shit like the ( on a side note if an unturned server is made I would like to apply for staff if possible, I play that game a lot )

Thanks for reading.

Ya boi
-Toaster Strudel

But the thing that people are failing to remember is that SFT and PvP don't go well. Unturned is free, however the fact still boils down to it being a HEAVY pvp game. Without it, it's lacking. With it, People rage quit. There's no winning.

I think it's still worth a shot though, it doesn't seem like that could really happen very easily. Every unturned server i've played on people have gotten mad. That just drove them to do better and come back. I still think the fact that there is a very established community for unturned is a huge positive. Something to keep in mind.
Best tree on survival

RallyReaper

Quote from: treefart on Mar 30, 2018, 01:11 AM
Quote from: RallyReaper on Mar 30, 2018, 12:16 AM

Thanks for reading.

Ya boi
-Toaster Strudel

I think it's still worth a shot though, it doesn't seem like that could really happen very easily. Every unturned server i've played on people have gotten mad. That just drove them to do better and come back. I still think the fact that there is a very established community for unturned is a huge positive. Something to keep in mind.

As i mentioned once, This will be like the 3rd or 4th time we've tried unturned with SFT if it does happen (I don't mind personally) but the issue always results in the server dying in a week.

Towelie

For this time, we decided to go with PixArk. Later on, we may go with Unturned as well (pvp or not, probably pvp since it would feel kinda pointless to make it pve)

Towelie

Quote from: Dday694 on Mar 29, 2018, 10:02 PM

which then?

Half Dead

Duck Game

Human Fall Flat

Gang Beasts

So basically you are saying: We shouldn't really focus on making more servers, but instead focus on turning SFT into more  of a "LFG / Looking for Group" kind of site. Well, why not both?
I agree, we should do better at making SFT into a place where we also can find players to play the games we like. We made that for fortnite. We have a chat, and a Fortnite player rank, and we should do that, but I don't play any of the games you mentioned for example, so it's up to peopel who play those games to do that