Mar 28, 2024, 09:47 PM

News:

Like our community? Please +1 our modpack here

Should we donate $50 /mo to a charity if our funds allow it?

Started by Towelie, Apr 07, 2021, 07:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towelie

So I am specifically interested to hear from our premium users and patrons, but also from everyone else.
We were discussing about potentially supporting a charity with $50 / mo if at the end of the month we can spare the funds after covering the costs.
The charity has to be a legitimate one, and we were thinking either a suicide prevention non profit or a mental health non profit, but we are open to other suggestions.
If this gets massive support, we will look into finding a charity, share that with the community and perhaps ask the community again if they are fine with the charity we have chosen.
If you believe our small contribution can be put to better use another way, we are interested in hearing that too!
It's about time that SFT started giving something back after getting support from a lot of awesome people over these 10 years.

Follow me on Instagram (i post cool stuff) https://www.instagram.com/toweliewtf/
Psst, got a Nintendo Switch? Add me -> SW-6574-1607-3796

Minecraftmeme11

Apr 07, 2021, 08:15 AM #1 Last Edit: Apr 07, 2021, 08:21 AM by Minecraftmeme11
I really think that this is a great incentive! Sounds like a great idea. While you were suggesting suicide prevention or mental health organisations, I would also take a look at conservation organisations such as the WWF, other organisations you might want to check out: Childline, or Papyrus UK.

Edit: These are based off which organisations are found near me
Survival JMod and Eventhost: 4th Jan 2021 - 3rd April 2021
Survival JMod again: 6th Jan 2022-present

Nubbun

As someone who has been around when SFT was struggling with funds I would rather have SFT keep them incase it's needed in the future.

But if you really want money to a charity you could add an option in donations where people can decide if they want a portion to go to charity.

\(◎o◎)/

Chill2000

Donating to charity is a great idea if we have the ability to do so, but having a contingency plan in case things do go wrong is also a good idea. However, If we do decide to donate there's an amazing charity called gamersoutreach which provides ill kids with games console etc whilst in hospital to make life a bit more enjoyable. I think it's a great charity and it's on brand too. Might be something to think about 
Quote from: xavidram on Dec 22, 2013, 09:37 AMThe internet: where men are men, women are men, and children are FBI agents.

Palker

I'm not sure if this is some sort of late April fools joke but whatever ???
The players supporting SFT(including myself) are donating and/or paying the monthly subscription on Patreon to *support the server* and not support a charity. If the players who support SFT and also have some extra money, they can personally support those charities but this is not a choice that you or the owners should make for those players. Also, it's kind of deceiving to have the money go somewhere else when nothing like that has been stated in the past as well.

"Become a Premium User by purchasing any of our items, and help us cover **our** costs"
"Your purchases will go towards paying the server bills and server upgrades or unforseen expenses."

Autpek

Quote from: Palker on Apr 07, 2021, 01:19 PMI'm not sure if this is some sort of late April fools joke but whatever ???
The players supporting SFT(including myself) are donating and/or paying the monthly subscription on Patreon to *support the server* and not support a charity. If the players who support SFT and also have some extra money, they can personally support those charities but this is not a choice that you or the owners should make for those players. Also, it's kind of deceiving to have the money go somewhere else when nothing like that has been stated in the past as well.

"Become a Premium User by purchasing any of our items, and help us cover **our** costs"
"Your purchases will go towards paying the server bills and server upgrades or unforseen expenses."
A good point, but as a Patreon myself, I have no issue if the money I send to the server is given to charity. Also donating to a charity as a gaming community could also bring benefits to the server itself. Would be good PR and also helps give people who support the feel good of helping out people who are in need.

Quote from: Towelie on Apr 07, 2021, 07:08 AMThe charity has to be a legitimate one, and we were thinking either a suicide prevention non profit or a mental health non profit, but we are open to other suggestions.
Also we could do a rotating donation, meaning a different charity a month. We did something like this at my last job where the philanthropy team sponsored a different charity every month. One month we would work in a soup kitchen (YWCA homeless shelter), another month we would build houses(Habitat for Humanity), another month we would bring awareness to human trafficking(Melissa's House), etc.

sky_comet

i think saving the extra money for when the server might get into a rough patch or using it on ways to improve the server is a much smarter idea, and players are choosing to support SFT, if they wanted to support a charity then they would send the money to them instead.

I like tanks

SavageCoopDoge

I think its a thoughtful thing to consider, but at the end of the day its your money and your choice. But I think you should do it if you want to

Palker

Well it's not really "his" money and if the donated money is advertised as support for the server and then someone finds out that it is used for something else, that is technically fraud ... so there's that.

Palker

"A good point, but as a Patreon myself, I have no issue if the money I send to the server is given to charity. Also donating to a charity as a gaming community could also bring benefits to the server itself. Would be good PR and also helps give people who support the feel good of helping out people who are in need."

I'm not sure what kind of good PR you're looking for because donating 50$ to a charity won't give us jack shit lol, that's just the truth, it's not a noticeable amount for anyone to pick up on it tbh. It's just not worth while for the server in any aspect, since such a low amount amongst the masses wont give us any attention if that's what they are looking for.

Palker

Another important note is that if players notice that their money that they donate don't even go towards helping and expanding the community, they might choose to just keep it for themselves since it's obviously not supporting the server as stated. This would just do more harm than good in this case since (I assume) the cash flow from the server isn't that great due to its size.

Autpek

Quote from: Palker on Apr 07, 2021, 05:55 PMWell it's not really "his" money and if the donated money is advertised as support for the server and then someone finds out that it is used for something else, that is technically fraud ... so there's that.
I think you are kind of looking at this the wrong way in this statement. And anyone who "found" out would know because Tow is transparent and asked us what he thought. Not like he is going to donate first then tell us. He wanted thoughts.

Quote from: Palker on Apr 07, 2021, 05:57 PM"A good point, but as a Patreon myself, I have no issue if the money I send to the server is given to charity. Also donating to a charity as a gaming community could also bring benefits to the server itself. Would be good PR and also helps give people who support the feel good of helping out people who are in need."

I'm not sure what kind of good PR you're looking for because donating 50$ to a charity won't give us jack shit lol, that's just the truth, it's not a noticeable amount for anyone to pick up on it tbh. It's just not worth while for the server in any aspect, since such a low amount amongst the masses wont give us any attention if that's what they are looking for.
You are coming off kind of rude with this. That and you kind of mixed up the meaning of truth and opinion. Instead of attacking someone for their opinions, maybe coming up with what would be better route for PR instead of just flaming someone would be a good start. Also the fact that a worldwide online gaming community is trying to give back to those in need, even if it is just a few dollars, shows that we care about people and making the world a better place. There are also some charities where $50 could be the difference of having a body to staff a phone for a suicide hotline for a few days or not.

Quote from: Palker on Apr 07, 2021, 06:05 PMAnother important note is that if players notice that their money that they donate don't even go towards helping and expanding the community, they might choose to just keep it for themselves since it's obviously not supporting the server as stated. This would just do more harm than good in this case since (I assume) the cash flow from the server isn't that great due to its size.
This is a good example of positive feedback. Not attacking anyone and giving supporting details.

sommergirl41

this is a good idea. maybe you should consider donating to black lives matter, considering you dismissed the support of it and threatened to ban people who showcased their support for it! :) gotta start somewhere, am I right?

Nubbun

Quote from: sommergirl41 on Apr 07, 2021, 08:03 PMthis is a good idea. maybe you should consider donating to black lives matter, considering you dismissed the support of it and threatened to ban people who showcased their support for it! :) gotta start somewhere, am I right?
What a huge set of balls you must have omg :o

\(◎o◎)/

simp_chef

i also really enjoy this idea same with meme i have the same opionion/idea  ;D

omelott

Patron here. If I wanted to donate to a charity, I would have done that as opposed to donating to superfuntime. It would be in the server's best interest to save any extra money it accumulates for times of hardship (the good times aren't going to last forever) or to put that extra money into growing the server.

onionboys

Seems like a waste of funds when this server needs it more

4dan7

Quote from: omelet on Apr 08, 2021, 04:02 PMPatron here. If I wanted to donate to a charity, I would have done that as opposed to donating to superfuntime. It would be in the server's best interest to save any extra money it accumulates for times of hardship (the good times aren't going to last forever) or to put that extra money into growing the server.

I enjoy the idea of charities and donating just as much as the next guy but I have to agree with ome on this one. The funds are for the community (may I add which is quite small, unfortunately) and should be used for our community in anyway that seems fit to benefit us.Better to save and recycle. I hate to say it and it sounds greedy but maybe back in the old days of abundance this could of been plausible but I would say not so much now.
Keep It Classy.-4Dan