Mar 29, 2024, 12:57 AM

News:

Please vote for us daily!

Come baack!

Started by Towelie, Oct 23, 2015, 03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towelie

So, I noticed some older players (Legends, Elites) have sort of dissapeared lately,.
Please come back guys! We miss you greatly. If this was provoked by the so perceived "legend hunt", come back please, and we can discuss.

If you did something wrong / broke the rules / got banned - this post does not adress to you.

Follow me on Instagram (i post cool stuff) https://www.instagram.com/toweliewtf/
Psst, got a Nintendo Switch? Add me -> SW-6574-1607-3796

GotAnError

I cannot talk for other people, but I am just playing less because I got into other games. It has nothing to do with you or SFT.
Screw the modern world! Our lovely earth is flat, ask the Medieval men!

Happysheep102

Quote from: GotAnError on Oct 23, 2015, 04:05 PMI cannot talk for other people, but I am just playing less because I got into other games. It has nothing to do with you or SFT.

This and we've kinda achieved everything, its like anything, you get bored after a while...

American_Walrus

Tow, we're growing older. I stick around because I have a lot to stick around for, but I can understand why people are spending less time here. They/we need to start focusing on what we are going to do with our lives. We/they still like the server, love it at that, its just we can't spend our lives continuously staring at a computer screen. We're advancing in school and in life in general. It's hard to accept, but its true that one day, barely any of us will ever play. We have all seen that one REALLY old Legend get on and go like "Who are you people?" "None of my friends are on anymore". This will one day happen to us. Its the hard truth, but you have a point. Maybe some of us could come back a bit more.

Doctor_Thanos

Quote from: American_Walrus on Oct 23, 2015, 05:27 PMTow, we're growing older. I stick around because I have a lot to stick around for, but I can understand why people are spending less time here. They/we need to start focusing on what we are going to do with our lives. We/they still like the server, love it at that, its just we can't spend our lives continuously staring at a computer screen. We're advancing in school and in life in general. It's hard to accept, but its true that one day, barely any of us will ever play. We have all seen that one REALLY old Legend get on and go like "Who are you people?" "None of my friends are on anymore". This will one day happen to us. Its the hard truth, but you have a point. Maybe some of us could come back a bit more.

Apparently, I couldn't agree more with Walrus...
I might not be at that age but I can understand how they feel since my race for having a good life has already begun. In 2 years maximum I will do the same... It's all planned and there is nothing we can do. What you can do is keep the community alive and accept the new people as you accepted the old ones, @Towelie

itsConnor_

Quote from: GotAnError on Oct 23, 2015, 04:05 PMI cannot talk for other people, but I am just playing less because I got into other games. It has nothing to do with you or SFT.

If you ask me, Minecraft is boring and seems to be dominated by 5-12 year-olds these days. Nothing to do with SFT. Also I love CS:GO (1200 hours now!)  :)

Also in last year of secondary/high school, applying to university etc. so am busy with school (as I'm sure a lot of other people that were active when I was are)
Trainee & JMod July 2011-early 2012
Mod - summer 2012
Head of Hosts - December 2012 - July 2013
Steam

IrishFan44

Engineering College pls

itsConnor_

Quote from: IrishFan44 on Oct 23, 2015, 07:18 PMEngineering College pls
Which type of engineering are you studying?
Mod - summer 2012
Steam

IrishFan44

Quote from: itsConnor_ on Oct 23, 2015, 07:18 PM
Quote from: IrishFan44 on Oct 23, 2015, 07:18 PMEngineering College pls
Which type of engineering are you studying?
Computer Science

LUFC4eva

Computer is currently playing up, espically with minecraft. Ordered a new pc today. Will be back soon, especially on factions. :)

SuperJK

I do that when somebody steals or greifs like sombody stole from my dispenser  :'(

/warp SteveCoMuseum

SuperJK

and also STUPID Homework

/warp SteveCoMuseum

stormshooter

Survival gets boring tbh, gotta get plat in league of legends too ;3

GRIMI_

td998

It's boring. I only play when I have nothing else to do

Cireshie

Quote from: GotAnError on Oct 23, 2015, 04:05 PMplaying less because I got into other games
Quote from: MrSheep102 on Oct 23, 2015, 04:08 PMwe've kinda achieved everything, its like anything, you get bored after a while...
Quote from: American_Walrus on Oct 23, 2015, 05:27 PMadvancing in school and in life in general
These sum it up for me quite nicely.

itsConnor_

If it wasn't for SFT, would you still be playing Minecraft, Towelie?
Mod - summer 2012
Steam

Towelie

Quote from: itsConnor_ on Oct 24, 2015, 11:09 AMIf it wasn't for SFT, would you still be playing Minecraft, Towelie?
Hell no xD
But still, it is SFT I'm worried about and even tho you guys are bored, you should at least check in once a few days and socialize for 10 mins  you aren't gonna die from that, and chances are, it may be enjoyable.

Follow me on Instagram (i post cool stuff) https://www.instagram.com/toweliewtf/
Psst, got a Nintendo Switch? Add me -> SW-6574-1607-3796

dvbis

Would love to do that but last time I enjoyed playing SFT when you guys added the newest power up for me to collect. Only to lose 10 hours of work in 30 minutes. No thank you for wasted time.

VirginianAE

Oct 27, 2015, 03:33 PM #19 Last Edit: Oct 27, 2015, 03:42 PM by VirginianAE
I think the generational gaps are something that just has to be planned for.  Some of us are older (much older) and still enjoy the game either because we don't play many games and minecraft is fairly low-impact to our schedules or because minecraft is still a very decent sandbox game.  That said, sandbox games aren't for most people so, as someone else mentioned, after you've "won everything" you get bored.

I concur with the statement that the server is largely dominated by young players around the age of 12 or younger (maybe not that age in particular, but the idea is spot-on from what I've seen as staff both a year ago and now).  This is a general observation, not just one on SFT.  I'm not sure what the implications of this suggestion are, but the best way to ensure SFT is viable in the future is the same way to ensure every organization is viable: find a way to embrace changing interests/demographics without alienating traditional players.  Personally, I do not think the Legend hunt alienated anyone (mainly because I don't think expecting people to be decent is considered a "hunt"), but people like to feel special.

@Towelie, If Virginian were king for a day and SFT burned to the ground and could be rebuilt, I'd have SFT's areas blocked off a la a "Towny" type world where newer players were only allowed to BUILD in certain areas, but could travel anywhere.  That helps staff to be able to better patrol a "safe space" for the younger players that are coming online with minecraft more and more these days and also allow those who have been on for longer to feel "special" by having a more premium area to build. 
Fun side-benefit: that would likely make resets a Hell of a lot easier since regions where more experienced players built would likely not as cluttered.  Instead of /w1, /w2, and /w3, you could imagine a /wgeneral, /welite, and /wlegend. 
Another fun side-benefit: this gives legends something special to play for since they would be in a "special world" that only they could build in.  You could play around with the world generation to give legends a more resource-rich environment........... or maybe just the opposite.  The point is that it allows you to control what incentives or handicaps you'd want to levy on certain groups to better address the needs of the community.
A third fun side-benefit: this would likely greatly reduce the effort it takes to "hunt BCVs" between world resets since most of the BCVs are made by people who only play for a few days then quit.

Basis for my opinion: I'm an enterprise architect for a living... every day I have to deal with how to adapt organizations and their priorities towards changing environments.  Let me know if there is any way I can help further.