News:

Have a Super Fun Time!

The state of things

Started by Towelie, Jan 26, 2017, 08:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towelie

I'd like to adress some people's concerns in this post, as well as my own:

Pixelmon 1.10:
@Dpa1991 is making big progress with Pixelmon 1.10. There's a beta group which is playtesting this server as we speak, turning it into a fully fledged server. Obviously there are some obstacles which come from migrating to a new platform (Spigot -> Sponge), but overall things are going ok.

Factions:
I heard progress has been made with Factions and it's close to release. @saywhat2365 @iLaxrv10 can give more info

Pixelmon 1.7 / Lost
Sadly, a bug with nvidia's newest graphics card drivers makes these modpacks crash on launch, therefor unplayable for anyone with an nvidia card and the latest drivers. @Dpa1991 and I spent a couple of hours last night at 3 AM trying to figure this out, however it was @Stariieyed that figured it out.

Revenue/Playerbase
Our revenue and playerbase is on a descending trend. It's not critically bad, but it could use some improvement. Word of mouth is amongst the powerful means of advertising, so please tell your friends and loved ones about SFT and post on social media sites! Also, if you can afford, donate and last but not the least, vote daily on all the websites!

My attitude
I'll be the first to admit, I need to work on a few things with the biggest  = not being so impulsive. I'm working on that and I hope it shows. I also interact more with people. However please understand that when I come on the server I am after a 12 hour shift so I am all tired and stressed.
Also, I'm not saying this to start anything, just to ask for some leniency / understanding, but there seem to be a few people with the sole goal to contradict me and disagree with me. I'm not always right, I admit that, but do give me a shot and don't be holier than the pope please.

Peace and let's have ourselves a better 2017!

Follow me on Instagram (i post cool stuff) https://www.instagram.com/toweliewtf/
Psst, got a Nintendo Switch? Add me -> SW-6574-1607-3796

Zesty

Everything seems fine, can't wait for factions- I heard wind that so so many people are coming back to play. As for Pix, everything on this generation is really cool, I can't wait to see how it turns out and how battling goes. I've seen so many new teams and ways to battle with our old server, lets see how this one turns out.
Greed may not be good, but it's not bad, either. You humans think it's for money and power. But everyone wants something they don't have.
Survival is the only way. Live on and learn more.
Even when our eyes are closes, there's a whole world out there that lives outside ourselves and our dreams.

Chocobo123456

Now i for one am helping test the server and Im just going to say this EVERYTHING CHANGED FOR THE BETTER xD

All the other beta testers including myself are making sure that everything will go smoothly for all you other nubs out there so don't worry about "Oh this thing is going to be to broken" Odds are if you thought about it its probably changed xD

Towelie

Aand just as I made this post DPA's hard-drive died and until he manages to get one there will be no more progress with Pix.
RIP @Dpa1991 's luck

Follow me on Instagram (i post cool stuff) https://www.instagram.com/toweliewtf/

BattleAxium

What about prison 2.0? Figured I would ask (even though I know the answer) but would rather it be officially confirmed dead.

Towelie

Quote from: BattleAxium on Jan 26, 2017, 02:03 PMWhat about prison 2.0? Figured I would ask (even though I know the answer) but would rather it be officially confirmed dead.
Confirmed dead.
Don't think it will happen, especially with factions coming back.

BattleAxium

Quote from: Towelie on Jan 26, 2017, 02:07 PM
Quote from: BattleAxium on Jan 26, 2017, 02:03 PMWhat about prison 2.0? Figured I would ask (even though I know the answer) but would rather it be officially confirmed dead.
Confirmed dead.
Don't think it will happen, especially with factions coming back.

So, ~9 months of work down the drain... damn that sucks. Glad I missed that one.

Dpa1991

Quote from: Towelie on Jan 26, 2017, 01:31 PMAand just as I made this post DPA's hard-drive died and until he manages to get one there will be no more progress with Pix.
RIP @Dpa1991 's luck

It didn't randomly die though. @Stariieyed 's drive randomly died and I broke mine when I was testing hers haha, Ihave to look into it more but it says it failed the S.M.A.R.T test on sata port 1 and to backup and replace

BattleAxium

Quote from: Dpa1991 on Jan 26, 2017, 02:18 PM
Quote from: Towelie on Jan 26, 2017, 01:31 PMAand just as I made this post DPA's hard-drive died and until he manages to get one there will be no more progress with Pix.
RIP @Dpa1991 's luck

It didn't randomly die though. @Stariieyed 's drive randomly died and I broke mine when I was testing hers haha, Ihave to look into it more but it says it failed the S.M.A.R.T test on sata port 1 and to backup and replace

Even if you have to get a new one, hard drives run relatively cheap these days.

In reference to what you posted: http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000184.htm

DeltaCosmic

In response to tow
Even with his hard drives dead, finding mods/plugins also bugs (if the server is still up)  can be done. Testing will have to wait,  It's not that progress has stopped, just slowed down.

Vote/Donate for SFT's Sake!
Survival Sponsor
Pixelmon Admin
1.7.10 Legendary

Towelie

Quote from: DeltaCosmic on Jan 26, 2017, 05:17 PMIn response to tow
Even with his hard drives dead, finding mods/plugins also bugs (if the server is still up)  can be done. Testing will have to wait,  It's not that progress has stopped, just slowed down.
Server's not hosted on his pc so I don't think he lost anything that is of critical importance to pix. I hope i'm not mistaken

Towelie

Quote from: BattleAxium on Jan 26, 2017, 02:20 PM
Quote from: Dpa1991 on Jan 26, 2017, 02:18 PM
RIP @Dpa1991 's luck

Even if you have to get a new one, hard drives run relatively cheap these days.

In reference to what you posted: http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000184.htm
It's no longer detecting it / letting it boot though :S @Dpa1991

Doctor_Thanos

Well it's quite nice to know how things are going! Thanks for the heads-up!

Bosslaya

Pocket veteran/Pixelmon Charmander/Survival member

iLaxrv10

Factions is coming along great, @saywhat2365 and I decided to make some last minute adjustments to make a majority of players happier! Depending on when he [saywhat] is fully around will depend on when a release date comes into play. Thank you for staying patient everyone!
Ex-Pixelmon Manager
Ex-Survival, Lost Islands, Pocket Edition Elder
Ex-WildWest, B-Team, Factions, Prison Owner

Dpa1991

Quote from: Towelie on Jan 26, 2017, 06:13 PM
Quote from: DeltaCosmic on Jan 26, 2017, 05:17 PMIn response to tow
Server's not hosted on his pc so I don't think he lost anything that is of critical importance to pix. I hope i'm not mistaken

No, I lost a little bit of stuff. Nothing major, majority of stuff has been uploaded already

Smileyface2288

Quote from: Bosslaya on Jan 26, 2017, 09:37 PMWhat about PE?

PE hasn't updated yet due to plugins I think. (correct me if I'm wrong)
Therefore there is nothing new, and no major updates we need to know about.
I hope I answer your question @Bosslaya :)

Towelie

Quote from: Smileyface2288 on Jan 28, 2017, 03:55 AM
Quote from: Bosslaya on Jan 26, 2017, 09:37 PMWhat about PE?

PE hasn't updated yet due to plugins I think. (correct me if I'm wrong)
Therefore there is nothing new, and no major updates we need to know about.
I hope I answer your question @Bosslaya :)
Yep. @saywhat2365

Towelie

Jan 28, 2017, 07:20 AM #18 Last Edit: Jan 28, 2017, 07:24 AM by Towelie
As per my discussion with @saywhat2365 and @iLaxrv10 last night, Factions is getting released by February 15th or I'm taking over and claiming all work by myself (sounds terrible, but believe me, I don't want to see this have the same fate as Prison 2.0).
Saywhat agreed february 15th is a decent deadline.

Secondly @blalp has showed interest in continuing Prison so I gave him access to the Prison files so he can study. Please take this with a grain of salt, and no guarantee whatsoever that Prison is going to be continued / released, but with the knowledge that someone's interested in continuing the work on it. At the moment blalp is not looking for any collaborators for the server.

BattleAxium

Jan 28, 2017, 03:50 PM #19 Last Edit: Jan 28, 2017, 04:05 PM by BattleAxium
Quote from: Towelie on Jan 28, 2017, 07:20 AMSecondly @blalp has showed interest in continuing Prison so I gave him access to the Prison files so he can study. Please take this with a grain of salt, and no guarantee whatsoever that Prison is going to be continued / released, but with the knowledge that someone's interested in continuing the work on it. At the moment blalp is not looking for any collaborators for the server.

Can we just let this server die peacefully instead? Prison has been done before and it didn't work out. Same with Factions but that's a different story. It's clear that after ~9 months of work, a whole team couldn't get it done right. Even if by some miracle "Prison 2.0" was released we're competing with thousands of other prison servers. It's about time we cut the cord and move on.

Come up with some original server ideas like Wild West which was a good idea just not given the attention or time of day it deserved. Or maybe an RP server. There's tons of options here instead of consistently reviving servers that died in the past. Same goes with projects like SFTNews, SFTRadio, SFTWiki, etc.

I hope you actually read this.. but I won't hold my breathe. But it's about damn time we move away from dead projects/servers and onto something worth trying. Just my .2 cents, take it for what it's worth. I'm not doing a tl;dr since I want you to actually read it through.

Towelie

Quote from: BattleAxium on Jan 28, 2017, 03:50 PM
Quote from: Towelie on Jan 28, 2017, 07:20 AMSecondly @blalp has showed interest in continuing Prison so I gave him access to the Prison files so he can study. Please take this with a grain of salt, and no guarantee whatsoever that Prison is going to be continued / released, but with the knowledge that someone's interested in continuing the work on it. At the moment blalp is not looking for any collaborators for the server.

Can we just let this server die peacefully instead? Prison has been done before and it didn't work out. Same with Factions but that's a different story. It's clear that after ~9 months of work, a whole team couldn't get it done right. Even if by some miracle "Prison 2.0" was released we're competing with thousands of other prison servers. It's about time we cut the cord and move on.

Come up with some original server ideas like Wild West which was a good idea just not given the attention or time of day it deserved. Or maybe an RP server. There's tons of options here instead of consistently reviving servers that died in the past. Same goes with projects like SFTNews, SFTRadio, SFTWiki, etc.

I hope you actually read this.. but I won't hold my breathe. But it's about damn time we move away from dead projects/servers and onto something worth trying. Just my .2 cents, take it for what it's worth. I'm not doing a tl;dr since I want you to actually read it through.
I get what you mean, it's just that blalp asked so I figured might as well give him access, even if he won't be able to pull it off it's still good experience.

Delmoren

Quote from: BattleAxium on Jan 28, 2017, 03:50 PM

I could NOT disagree with this more.

QuoteEven if by some miracle "Prison 2.0" was released we're competing with thousands of other prison servers.

This is the main reason why this community needs a prison server. Competition. Prison servers are still quite popular.

What we need right now, to help with unique logins and player retention, is popular servers. But more importantly, and I cannot stress this enough, is popular bukkit servers. Things like Factions, and Prison.

QuoteCome up with some original server ideas like Wild West which was a good idea just not given the attention or time of day it deserved.

No, no, and no! They will die! Look at Lost Islands for a perfect example of why. Currently, as I type this, there are only three players online. Every time I check this server there's a low amount of players online, why is that?

• It's unique. There are very few servers like it. If a player doesn't know specifically that Lost Islands exists, they won't find it.
  • It's Technic. Technic is not nearly as popular as bukkit and never will be thanks to bungeecord and minigame oriented bukkit servers. Not only that, but it removes a large portion of the player base that either:
    • Doesn't want to download Technic, then download the modpack.
    • Lacks the computer hardware strong enough to run large modpacks.
    • Are intimidated by having to download a launcher, then choose and download a specific modpack, then start the client. Regardless of how user friendly they make the Technic Launcher.
  • Advertising is very difficult for Lost Island servers. The reason being is it's not nearly as popular as a traditional Skyblock server.

This community doesn't need uniqueness. It needs popularity. Being unique doesn't mean a damn thing to someone who likes and wants to play Factions, or Prison, or Skyblock. They'll pass you by in a heartbeat because you're not what they're looking for. Once you have a large player base, then you can begin differentiating yourself from the competition with uniqueness. Not when you're struggling for unique logins and player retention. Crawl before you walk. Walk before you run.

BattleAxium

Jan 28, 2017, 08:42 PM #22 Last Edit: Jan 28, 2017, 08:49 PM by BattleAxium
Here's what you're missing they pass us by anyways because our community is smaller than most and even if we did have a Factions, Prison, Skyblock or whatever is the current trend server it'll never be unique enough to set us apart from or compete with servers already out there. We're completely late to the punch with those servers already and investing time in those servers will have a slim to none chance of getting us any new players.

You're also comparing apples to oranges here, I mentioned Wild West specifically cause it wasn't a modpack server. In fact, it was a purely bukkit/spigot server as far as I know. You know why we have any of the players we do? Cause we had something unique about our servers that set us apart from the rest. We don't have that anymore if we just go with the typical minigame server like EVERY SINGLE OTHER COMMUNITY is doing. But, anyways, I've made my points here and anything else I say will fall on deaf ears. Good luck.

Delmoren

Jan 29, 2017, 12:17 AM #23 Last Edit: Jan 29, 2017, 12:45 AM by Delmoren
Quote from: BattleAxium on Jan 28, 2017, 08:42 PMHere's what you're missing they pass us by anyways because our community is smaller than most and even if we did have a Factions, Prison, Skyblock or whatever is the current trend server it'll never be unique enough to set us apart from or compete with servers already out there. We're completely late to the punch with those servers already and investing time in those servers will have a slim to none chance of getting us any new players.

You're also comparing apples to oranges here, I mentioned Wild West specifically cause it wasn't a modpack server. In fact, it was a purely bukkit/spigot server as far as I know. You know why we have any of the players we do? Cause we had something unique about our servers that set us apart from the rest. We don't have that anymore if we just go with the typical minigame server like EVERY SINGLE OTHER COMMUNITY is doing. But, anyways, I've made my points here and anything else I say will fall on deaf ears. Good luck.

QuoteHere's what you're missing they pass us by anyways because our community is smaller than most and even if we did have a Factions, Prison, Skyblock or whatever is the current trend server it'll never be unique enough to set us apart from or compete with servers already out there.

Quite the contrary. Having popular servers like Factions will directly put us in competition with servers already out there.

Do me a favor and go to Minepick's website for me. Here, I'll do it for you.

Notice anything? Those four servers, with the stars to their left, before the list even begins? That's an advertising spot, notice how SFT is one of them. Fancy up that server banner to include our upcoming Factions and hopefully Prison server. Instant competitive factor.

QuoteYou're also comparing apples to oranges here, I mentioned Wild West specifically cause it wasn't a modpack server. In fact, it was a purely bukkit/spigot server as far as I know. You know why we have any of the players we do? Cause we had something unique about our servers that set us apart from the rest.

I agree with you that many of the players here are and have been very loyal, that's what makes SFT a great community.

QuoteYou're also comparing apples to oranges here

I am well aware that Wild West was a bukkit server, that's why it had a location in the lobby. My Lost Islands example was used because like Wild West, it's borderline impossible to get direct draw too. Because it's unique. Very few servers run Lost Islands, because Skyblock destroys it in popularity. So it fits to compare the two.

You can have the shiniest, nicest orange(uniqueness) for sale. But someone wanting to buy an apple because it's the current health trend(popular) doesn't give a damn about your orange.

From what I understand, the "glory days of the past" I hear about mainly stemmed from the CaptainSparklez videos on Spheretown, not uniqueness. Yes spheretown was unique, but the server itself very much wasn't with regards to plugins etc. That's what a Youtube presence can do, something which this community is severely lacking, but is pretty damn hard to get without shelling out some serious cash to a popular Youtuber.

For the record in no way am I trying to bash our Lost Islands server. I'm just stating the major reasons why it's so hard to get good player retention on it. There is nothing wrong with our Lost Islands server in any way, shape, or form. It's just not a popular server type and advertising for it is very, very difficult, because of Skyblock. Most people don't think, "Hmmm, Skyblock is getting boring, I wonder if there's a version with lots of mods!". They move onto a different server type, usually floating in the server network they're currently in, to servers like survival and factions, until they feel like playing Skyblock again.

Towelie

Wild West and MineQuest were unique indeed, and countless of hours were spent in them. But where they popular? not really.. people just want to kill stuff.