Mar 28, 2024, 10:20 AM

News:

Like our community? Please +1 our modpack here

What now?

Started by Towelie, Oct 21, 2016, 07:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doctor_Thanos

Quote from: Terror134 on Oct 21, 2016, 10:12 PMIn my honest opinion, we should not focus on other servers right now and focus on advertising or paying professional plugin devs outside of SFT to come in and make custom plugins. Maybe try to contact some Youtubers, like PaintballKitty or Pabbie, to record a video or at least drop by our server and say hi?
Exactly this!

Also I highly suggest Factions are not added back. They were removed for a rather serious reason and the reason is going to come back for sure if we open them again.

Towelie

Quote from: Terror134 on Oct 21, 2016, 10:12 PMor paying professional plugin devs outside of SFT to come in and make custom plugins.
We currently have two devs being tested and from the looks of it will be joining our team soon

Follow me on Instagram (i post cool stuff) https://www.instagram.com/toweliewtf/
Psst, got a Nintendo Switch? Add me -> SW-6574-1607-3796

Towelie

At this point I am not against a factions server per say, but I down right refuse to work on a faction server or have anything to do with maintaining it other than restarting it when it crashes and setting up the premium shop / vote plugin.
So that leaves @Dpa1991 and @saywhat2365 .

I doubt either of them wants to start a Factions server soo...

Follow me on Instagram (i post cool stuff) https://www.instagram.com/toweliewtf/

one227

Hmm what about going back to a technic mod pack server ?

But then we have B-team and lost island so idk if another modded server would become popular.

stormshooter

Quote from: Towelie on Oct 22, 2016, 01:40 PMAt this point I am not against a factions server per say, but I down right refuse to work on a faction server or have anything to do with maintaining it other than restarting it when it crashes and setting up the premium shop / vote plugin.

I'd like to lend a hand :P

TheStarNomad✯

Quote from: TeraStorm on Oct 22, 2016, 01:47 PM
Quote from: Towelie on Oct 22, 2016, 01:40 PMAt this point I am not against a factions server per say, but I down right refuse to work on a faction server or have anything to do with maintaining it other than restarting it when it crashes and setting up the premium shop / vote plugin.

If this is a possibility I'm 100% ready to help.

Long time StarNomad

camster65

Quote from: TheStarNomad✯ on Oct 22, 2016, 02:05 PM

Count me in

one227

Quote from: camster65 on Oct 22, 2016, 02:42 PM

Count me in
count me in too

CallOfTheElements

Quote from: one227 on Oct 22, 2016, 02:43 PM

Count me in
count me in too
You have my bow.

CallOfTheElements

Also, as I have said before. I believe that a space engineers server could work. I am sure that me and possibly @Jyncs could help with it. I have been experimenting with it ever since the giveaway.

Towelie

Quote from: LavishGaming on Oct 22, 2016, 03:32 PMAlso, as I have said before. I believe that a space engineers server could work. I am sure that me and possibly @Jyncs could help with it. I have been experimenting with it ever since the giveaway.
If you wanna try out, I'm ok with that, you have server access, tell me if you need anythign else.

truewolfmaster

Quote from: IPwnCreeps on Oct 21, 2016, 08:24 PMHosting a GMod server at this point is like buying a really old car. Sure, it could be a good car and all, but it's not going to last as long as something newer. It's had its run; and this is coming from someone who spent several hundred hours on the SFT TTT server. Unturned isn't a completely horrible choice, but unless it's had major changes lately, it gets boring fast. Grief prevention plugins aren't the best and if you wanted to allow PvP/griefing/raiding, the game is pretty desyncy (ex. cars running you over when on your end they're nowhere near you). 7 days to die I feel is in the same boat as GMod. The game was fairly popular when it came out, but they've made weird changes and the game just doesn't seem to have the hype behind it anymore.

If you think about it as if we're one of those little fish things that cling on to sharks; us clinging on to GMod, Unturned or 7DtD is like clinging to a dead shark at this point. Sure, what's left might do some good here and there, but the games are only really popular to a very select amount of people. Even while our TTT server was at it's peak, nobody really donated.

I feel as though any server that you wanna make decent profit from will require practically a new community forming. Even if we come out with the best Arma 3 server ever tomorrow, ~90% of SFT doesn't own it and probably never will. We'd have to attract a whole new crowd. Every new server we come out with we try to shove it into our little community bubble and force the existing players to play it, then we all get upset when the server is empty 24/7 when a huge portion of the community didn't even know the game existed. While Arma is just an example, the biggest communities and servers on Arma started with Arma. They've been with the game since Arma 2 and they'll probably be with the game till hell freezes over - and they're able to do that because their community is almost entirely composed of people who come home every day and play Arma for 6 hours straight, just like we are with minecraft. Difference is, Mojang's EULA has pretty much killed the ability to survive and thrive in terms of donations. The game won't die tomorrow, but in my opinion, it's already in a decline.

This post was probably unnecessarily long but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

if he hosts gmod id be on it alot
Oh yes Give the serial killer enthusiast a mod to make monsters, what could possibly go wrong?

jimbob0102

What happened to Tekkit Legends? That was really good and fun

Mrs_Ender88

If there was a 7 days to Die server I know of at least 5 or 6 people that would join it.
@Towelie
Life is what you make it, so make it great.
Love with all your heart.
❤Mrs_Ender❤ - Today at 2:25 PM >8ball should I be binned?
HovenBOT - Today at 2:25 PM As I see it, yes

lionblaze10

Quote from: one227 on Oct 22, 2016, 12:11 PMI personally would like to see a vanilla server.

I know I know you did get minetest but minetest was nothing like a vanilla server.

I would love to see the server run with like community events like killing the wither or ender drag together and it been reset once in a while.

I personally miss minecraft where its just the raw basic of minecraft where you can build stuff but you build and its like you build it raw

idk if anyone else agrees with me but I  really miss vanilla.

I certainly would play it.

Tried to fight for this so many times and been shot down each and every one. Would absolutely love to see a return of the Vanilla server if at all possible.
Honour: If you need it defined, you don't have it

Towelie

@Sparkle_Sun  - Does your offer for 72d2 still stand? If yes, I am interested.
@lionblaze10 - I'm sorry but I have no interest whatsoever in a vanilla server because it doesn't bring us votes OR donations. The only way I'd consider starting one was if it was pay2play so it could at least pay for itself (eg: a $3/mo subscription per player which let's face it nobody would buy)

Lucy_23x

Quote from: LavishGaming on Oct 22, 2016, 03:24 PM
Quote from: one227 on Oct 22, 2016, 02:43 PM

Count me in
count me in too
You have my bow.
And you have my axe.

Quote from: sparkydeathcap on Feb 17, 2016, 04:07 AMand also; how old are you? I've always imagined you as like a old irish man that drinks whiskey and screams at people to get off his lawn while sitting on a bench in the park. But I'm pretty sure that's not the case because if it was: 1. you're a pedophile and 2. you're a pedophile

SuperJK

Quote from: xQuicScopex on Oct 21, 2016, 07:31 PM
Quote from: xQuicScopex on Oct 21, 2016, 12:09 PMtheres a new modpack out right now called hermitpack (its a hermitcraft mod pack) and its for minecraft 1.9 or 1.10 and its actually really fun if you wanted to replace them with other servers (minecraft idea)
Hermitpack isn't neW

/warp SteveCoMuseum

xQuicScopex

Quote from: SuperJK on Oct 24, 2016, 08:47 AM
Quote from: xQuicScopex on Oct 21, 2016, 07:31 PM
Quote from: xQuicScopex on Oct 21, 2016, 12:09 PMtheres a new modpack out right now called hermitpack (its a hermitcraft mod pack) and its for minecraft 1.9 or 1.10 and its actually really fun if you wanted to replace them with other servers (minecraft idea)
Hermitpack isn't neW
the 1.10 version is

Jyncs

If we never try new servers how will we know if they don't work? How do we know if they won't work the second time, or the third or fourth.

USA History right here on Abraham Lincoln, our 16th president who helped to abolishslavery in my country.
Failed in business.
Ran for state legislature - lost.
Sought to become speaker of the state legislature - defeated.
Sought to become elector - defeated.
Ran for Congress - lost.
Ran for re-election to Congress - lost(he won in between losses).
Sought the job of land officer in his home state - rejected.
Ran for Senate of the United States - lost.
Sought the Vice-Presidential nomination at his party's national convention - get less than 100 votes.
Ran for U.S. Senate again - again he lost.
Elected president of the United States.

He lost a lot more than he won. The point is if we don't keep trying and don't keep pushing we won't know.

This is the second time we have had a Rust server and it is starting to grow and succeed. We just don't know what will take off and what won't all the time until we try it.

BattleAxium

Quote from: Jyncs on Oct 24, 2016, 06:14 PMIf we never try new servers how will we know if they don't work? How do we know if they won't work the second time, or the third or fourth.

USA History right here on Abraham Lincoln, our 16th president who helped to abolishslavery in my country.
Failed in business.
Ran for Congress - lost.
Sought the Vice-Presidential nomination at his party's national convention - get less than 100 votes.

He lost a lot more than he won. The point is if we don't keep trying and don't keep pushing we won't know.

This is the second time we have had a Rust server and it is starting to grow and succeed. We just don't know what will take off and what won't all the time until we try it.

Good analogy Jyncs! We shouldn't have problem with trying the same server idea BUT we shouldn't try to make it the same way every time (unless it worked). For example, 7 days to die, we had that server a few times, but each time it was put up, it was abandoned by management. As Albert Einstein said "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results". In this case, we're setting up the server (in the same way) over and over again, and expecting it to gain popularity instead of bottoming out like it always does.

Jyncs

Quote from: BattleAxium on Oct 24, 2016, 06:47 PM
Quote from: Jyncs on Oct 24, 2016, 06:14 PMIf we never try new servers how will we know if they don't work? How do we know if they won't work the second time, or the third or fourth.

Failed in business.
Ran for Congress - lost.

Good analogy Jyncs! We shouldn't have problem with trying the same server idea BUT we shouldn't try to make it the same way every time (unless it worked). For example, 7 days to die, we had that server a few times, but each time it was put up, it was abandoned by management. As Albert Einstein said "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results". In this case, we're setting up the server (in the same way) over and over again, and expecting it to gain popularity instead of bottoming out like it always does.

Some of that problem is not finding people that are passionate about the game to keep wanting to play it every day.