[Techniology] Windows 10 spies on you and tells your parents

Started by Towelie, Aug 31, 2015, 08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towelie

QuoteWindows 10 sends a weekly “activity update” on childrens’ internet browsing and computer history to parents, by default and without telling anyone. The feature could be dangerous as well as embarrassing, users have pointed out, allowing parents to watch everything their children do on the computer.

The operating system sends a weekly note that includes a list of websites children have visited, how many hours per day they have spent on the computer, and for how long they have used their favourite apps, according to reports.

The feature appears to be turned on by default for family accounts â€" not notifying either children or their parents that they are being spied on â€" and was reported by parents who hadn’t asked for and weren’t aware of activating the feature themselves.

Some worried that the feature could accidentally out young LGBT people, by sending details of their web browsing to their parents. That could then in turn put them at risk of abuse by their parents, or danger

^ Just a heads up

Follow me on Instagram (i post cool stuff) https://www.instagram.com/toweliewtf/
Psst, got a Nintendo Switch? Add me -> SW-6574-1607-3796

GRIMI_

My parents don't know how to set anything like that up, so most likely if they wanted it, they'd ask me to do it, and I might just forget to check a few boxes for them ;)

stormshooter

darknuju

I have done research on this for a friend and most people shouldn't have to worry about this unless family accounts have been specifically set up by your parents and you.

In order to set this up your parents would have to go online to their microsoft account go to the family section and request to add you as a family member by adding your email, you would then receive an email where you could ignore/deny the request which means this can only happen with both the parent and the child agreeing to it.

There really is not much benefit to adding family members in microsoft accounts anyway so the only people this would happen to are people with parents who know how to use a computer very very well and have no trust in their children.

To be quite honest although everything it says is true articles like these are worded to cause panic and to arouse suspicion where things really aren't as drastic and awful as they make it out to be, but that's news/media for ya.

(also when I say that I am talking about the original writers of the article not Towelie this IS good information for people to know but this article is worded to create panic/worrying)

Duncz

Towelie

Follow me on Instagram (i post cool stuff) https://www.instagram.com/toweliewtf/
Psst, got a Nintendo Switch? Add me -> SW-6574-1607-3796

darknuju