Apr 27, 2024, 12:01 PM

News:

Please vote for us daily!

Why did I do it ?

Started by Towelie, Mar 24, 2016, 01:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towelie

Since a lot of people seem to wonder why I started SFT and Survival, I am going to try to explain.
Before Minecraft came out, I was a player on a certain SA-MP (San Andreas MultiPlayer) server which I loved a lot.
Unlike normal players, I wasn't contempt with just playing on that server and having fun, I wanted to have something I could call my own where I could have the power to change things to my liking.
I then created a server with @bogeymanEST which was also a player on that server (and was how I met him).
That server was a San Andreas MultiPlayer stunting server. Basically @bogeymanEST was the one working on the server while I was hosting it on my PC. It wasn't very popular but we had a few people playing there and we were all having fun. I wasn't content with having just a few players, I wanted more. So I tried to copy that other server (sorryy) and make a server just like them (they were unique and awesome). I failed and in the process got banned from that other community. (for trying to make a ripoff server - I didn't understand that until way later when SFT was born)

I then discovered Garry's Mod Sandbox - thanks to bogey.  In its essence it was similar to Minecraft - You could build things (machines, etc) and do that with other players. It was popular, with 20+ players on at times and due to it being sort of resource intensive we kept having to find / rent better hosts.
That server eventually died out, but it made Super Fun Time a thing! We had a website, we had a small but stable playerbase and then this thing called Minecraft came out.

I initially thought it was stupid (silly me) but hten altosigma / Darko (a player on our gmod server back then) basically kept bugging me to get it so I got it eventually and played. I instantly loved it so we decided to host a server for us to play, with a couple other friends.
I had a server laying around from a failed business attempt (web hosting) so I set up a vanilla minecraft server and we started building the first spawntown (Civitas Valis, youtube it). We then invited our friends from Garry's Mod to come check it out. Like what it seemed over night, the server started booming. From 2 players we were now 10, then 20, then 30. But then the griefer movement started happening and we discovered that it wasn't enough for two admins to run the server and that's when we started recruitng staff members.

I guess what I'm trying to point out here is that I didn't do this for money or any other interest, but purely out of fun and enjoyment. SFT grew from a minecraft server hosted on a computer in my apartment, with a website hosted at a random hosting company for $6 / month to what it is now - spread across 4 servers, across the world.

People keep asking me: Why do you keep doing it if you no longer enjoy playing Minecraft? Why not just quit it. The answer is simple: It was never about Minecraft. It was about doing something that multiple people enjoyed, it was about having the power to change things to my liking and to how I wanted things to be and most importantly, about the new friends we made, essentially it was and still is about the community.
And that is why, no matter how bad things will be ahead, I will never give up SFT unless it either kills me or puts my life in danger.

Follow me on Instagram (i post cool stuff) https://www.instagram.com/toweliewtf/
Psst, got a Nintendo Switch? Add me -> SW-6574-1607-3796

Brightpkz

It makes me happy that I am in a community where the owner is actually passionate about the community. I must say, working with Tow was always fun and he never fails to make me feel motivated and I can't be more happy to be a Mod here. I've never been on any other Minecraft server before SFT and I intend to keep it that way. SFT was my first server and it will always be my favourite Minecraft server.

Call me Bond. Bright Bond.
Elytra Creds to Cayko <33

Lucazade13

Its great to know our owner is passionate about us as a community, I believe with this in heart, we will never really 'Die'. Keep up what you are doing towelie <3

Survival Elite
Just your average energy drink

iLaxrv10

It's really good to see that you and the other owners are here to help the community! Im sure I can speak for everyone when I say this but were all glad that SFT was born and were all having loads of fun. Whether youre from 2010 or 2016 you'll either know or begin to learn that the Owners are here to help. Long Live SFT. XD
Ex-Pixelmon Manager
Ex-Survival, Lost Islands, Pocket Edition Elder
Ex-WildWest, B-Team, Factions, Prison Owner

MrC0W

Great post tow! Found it really interesting to learn about before/the early days of SFT :P

Its really awesome to know that even if you don't enjoy playing minecraft, you are still hosting this community for us to be a part of. <3

blalp

thanks for staying with us Tow.
Have a fantastic day!

JohnOaklyjohn

Quote from: Brightpkz on Mar 24, 2016, 01:38 PMIt makes me happy that I am in a community where the owner is actually passionate about the community. I must say, working with Tow was always fun and he never fails to make me feel motivated and I can't be more happy to be a Mod here. I've never been on any other Minecraft server before SFT and I intend to keep it that way. SFT was my first server and it will always be my favourite Minecraft server.
You read my mind Brighty :)

John

SuperJK

I read the reddit story

/warp SteveCoMuseum

Darth_Noob

It's great to know you have worked so hard just to keep us together. It's great to be in a community like this and it's always been my favorite server.

SuperJK

Quote from: Stath on Mar 25, 2016, 07:19 AMIt's great to know you have worked so hard just to keep us together. It's great to be in a community like this and it's always been my favorite server.
I agree @Stath

/warp SteveCoMuseum

Towelie

Remember this is just the story about how SFT Started.
It only became how it is today due to awesome hard working owners like @Dpa1991 , @fearthe1337 and @saywhat2365  and with the support of our aewsome @bogeymanEST  for creating and updating the SFT Client

Follow me on Instagram (i post cool stuff) https://www.instagram.com/toweliewtf/
Psst, got a Nintendo Switch? Add me -> SW-6574-1607-3796

PandaPugz

I feel so lucky to have found the most amazing server ever with the most loving owners ever c: I have aprox 30 friends on Skype and all of them (except 1) I have met on sft. Sft has such an amazing community and I hope it stays around forever!

jakeyfries

Its good to see owners caring for the server :^) good job Towelie

Ryan1478

im happy to play on a server where the owner is happy to be in the community and won't give his server up  :)