Apr 28, 2024, 10:20 AM

News:

Proudly established in 2010, still going!

Which servers should we shut down and why?

Started by Towelie, Jun 03, 2016, 05:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

calfrokrill

Jun 05, 2016, 10:59 AM #100 Last Edit: Jun 06, 2016, 06:43 AM by Calaurix_95
Quote from: Lucy_23x on Jun 05, 2016, 10:44 AM
Quote from: Green_Giant on Jun 05, 2016, 10:40 AM
Quote from: Calaurix_95 on Jun 05, 2016, 09:11 AM
Quote from: SuperJK on Jun 05, 2016, 08:49 AM
Quote from: Calaurix_95 on Jun 04, 2016, 07:15 AM
Quote from: SuperJK on Jun 04, 2016, 06:31 AMRemove parkour it's too boring but if SFT RBX would be popular and HG is also very not used very much so i think to remove both

1. Don't advertise. -I didn't RBX is a game :P

2. A lot of people play on Parkour. <-- Lel most of the Parkour is zero I have joined it alot of times and yes not much players on Parkour -SuperJK

3. Just because you don't like a server doesn't mean it has to shut down. <-- I DIDN'T say I didn't like a server SuperJK

Roblox isn't a server
No, but it's another game which people would be driven towards due to its ease of access, turning people away from SFT. And, you said that Parkour is boring, labelling that you don't like it.
What. So you're saying we're not allowed to talk about other games? What about all this talk about Altis life, DayZ and other things that SFT doesn't currently have a server on, are we not allowed to talk about that? Are we not allowed to even suggest SFT could have a server for it like SuperJK did?

It's perfectly fine to mention another game.

Shots fired!!!!!!!
Pew pew.

Tow himself has also reminded SuperJK to not advertise the game she mentioned in past topics. Not trying to be rude here, but if a server for that game was made, wouldn't it just die out like the old TF2 server? It's F2P too. And if people think we have a larger playerbase, we do, but as much players we have gained, we have ALSO lost.

This is actually a sticky situation, more sticky than when I sat on my sister's spat out bubble gum in the car.. yeah, but that's another story. Ya' get the point.
:)

Lucy_23x

Okie
I'm just that person standing to the side like "FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT" and all
I'd suggest some games such as "Eldar scrolls online" or "world of tanks" (I think that's what it's called) but idk if you can do anything with them.

Quote from: sparkydeathcap on Feb 17, 2016, 04:07 AMand also; how old are you? I've always imagined you as like a old irish man that drinks whiskey and screams at people to get off his lawn while sitting on a bench in the park. But I'm pretty sure that's not the case because if it was: 1. you're a pedophile and 2. you're a pedophile

iLaxrv10

Quote from: Lucy_23x on Jun 05, 2016, 07:55 AMI saw a fairly good number of people on Wild West the other day, including a good balance of staff and players. If this is given "careful nurturing" then maybe this could improve the community on Wild West.
Ive been working on a new update for the server for a while now, should be coming out after my exams ;)
Ex-Pixelmon Manager
Ex-Survival, Lost Islands, Pocket Edition Elder
Ex-WildWest, B-Team, Factions, Prison Owner

ZachAttack1170

We should keep Pocket, but the other servers up there should go

Lucy_23x

Quote from: ZachAttack1170 on Jun 05, 2016, 02:56 PMWe should keep Pocket, but the other servers up there should go
Including Wild West?

Quote from: sparkydeathcap on Feb 17, 2016, 04:07 AMand also; how old are you? I've always imagined you as like a old irish man that drinks whiskey and screams at people to get off his lawn while sitting on a bench in the park. But I'm pretty sure that's not the case because if it was: 1. you're a pedophile and 2. you're a pedophile

Towelie

For now, I shut down Hunger Games and will be leaving the others up until I've talked to Dpa / saywhat.
I'm extremely conflicted about Lost Islands. That server is a lot of trouble with crashing / corrupting / players needing rollbacks on a daily basis but on the other hand players seem to be attached to it :S

Follow me on Instagram (i post cool stuff) https://www.instagram.com/toweliewtf/
Psst, got a Nintendo Switch? Add me -> SW-6574-1607-3796

arch8ic

@Towelie, can we talk about this? There are some easily fixable problems that simply require a person capable of fixing them.
SFT Lost Islands Engineer!

iLaxrv10

Quote from: Towelie on Jun 05, 2016, 04:54 PMFor now, I shut down Hunger Games and will be leaving the others up until I've talked to Dpa / saywhat.
I'm extremely conflicted about Lost Islands. That server is a lot of trouble with crashing / corrupting / players needing rollbacks on a daily basis but on the other hand players seem to be attached to it :S
To be fair, people were attached to Factions and that still closed down. Yes, it was problematic in a different way but it still shut down. @Towelie
Now, im not saying im for a Lost closing but it does have tooons of issues
Ex-Pixelmon Manager
Ex-Survival, Lost Islands, Pocket Edition Elder
Ex-WildWest, B-Team, Factions, Prison Owner

garow93

If lost is to stay, then it needs not only some work done to it to make it more stable, but also change the slots from 150 to something much more realistic, say 50, as it's easily changed later if somehow we get more than 15 people playing online at a time for it. As for the others, hunger games and the parkour servers should be shut down and moved to an event world on survival, maybe even give hunger games it's own small world considering how the game is played.

Izzdaer

Jun 06, 2016, 02:42 PM #109 Last Edit: Jun 06, 2016, 02:48 PM by Izzdaer
Quote from: garow93 on Jun 06, 2016, 01:49 PMIf lost is to stay, then it needs not only some work done to it to make it more stable, but also change the slots from 150 to something much more realistic, say 50, as it's easily changed later if somehow we get more than 15 people playing online at a time for it. As for the others, hunger games and the parkour servers should be shut down and moved to an event world on survival, maybe even give hunger games it's own small world considering how the game is played.

1.  Slots is an entirely arbitrary number. have 150 slots and 15 players is exactly identical in server usage to 50 slots and 15 players. And considering its on our own machine, not a hosted server we arent paying anything for those extra slots.

2. Towelie has already said he wont be moving parkour and HG to survival for a few reasons:

- Parkour and HG require lots of extra plugins which tow is not prepared to add to survival as it will decrease performance
  - The parkour and HG maps being moved isn't a easy case of moving some files, it requires alot more work
  - Moving these to survival will increase the chat spam with all of the HG and parkour related chat / rage.

American_Walrus

Hunger games: Bring it back on Survival, build at least 6 mini maps for weekend events. I think this will do good for events.

Parkour: Build 2-3 nice parkour courses in w3 that can be hosted for events and played on a player's own time.

Lost: Fix the minor problems @arch8ic has mentioned. After a month or two, if uptime isn't up/if it still is a problem to keep, remove it.

Wild West/Qwest: Uptime is low on these servers, but updates are coming out or already came out. Let's give those time.

Altis: As @Stoovs said, we need someone to get hands on and make it their first priority. It is important we branch out of Minecraft. Let one of the people Stoovs mentioned to take a shot at it.

BloodQueenRazlc

I don't have a PC and many players on pocket don't have PCs so I think none of the remaining servers should be shut down beacuse SFT would lose a lot of players.

BattleAxium

Quote from: Izzdaer on Jun 06, 2016, 02:42 PM1.  Slots is an entirely arbitrary number. have 150 slots and 15 players is exactly identical in server usage to 50 slots and 15 players. And considering its on our own machine, not a hosted server we arent paying anything for those extra slots.

That's not what garow is saying. I believe he means the amount of slots should be set to something reasonable. He never said anything about the cost or server performance. I spoke with dpa about this exact same thing. Maybe we should lower the slots to 50 for Survival/Pix. Since 30/50 looks better than 30/150.

Green_Giant

Quote from: BattleAxium on Jun 06, 2016, 10:23 PM
Quote from: Izzdaer on Jun 06, 2016, 02:42 PM1.  Slots is an entirely arbitrary number. have 150 slots and 15 players is exactly identical in server usage to 50 slots and 15 players. And considering its on our own machine, not a hosted server we arent paying anything for those extra slots.

That's not what garow is saying. I believe he means the amount of slots should be set to something reasonable. He never said anything about the cost or server performance. I spoke with dpa about this exact same thing. Maybe we should lower the slots to 50 for Survival/Pix. Since 30/50 looks better than 30/150.
I know for a fact that Survival does often peek over 50, not so much now due to the exams etc. but in the summer i'm 99% sure it will at some points.

SuperJK

Quote from: Calaurix_95 on Jun 05, 2016, 10:59 AMThis is actually a sticky situation, more sticky than when I sat on my sister's spat out bubble gum in the car.. yeah, but that's another story. Ya' get the point.
That is off-topic man you OT-er means off topicer

/warp SteveCoMuseum

calfrokrill

Quote from: SuperJK on Jun 06, 2016, 11:59 PM
Quote from: Calaurix_95 on Jun 05, 2016, 10:59 AMThis is actually a sticky situation, more sticky than when I sat on my sister's spat out bubble gum in the car.. yeah, but that's another story. Ya' get the point.
Lol, no it's not.

It wasn't off topic. My whole post wasn't. And please, what the heck does "OT-er means off topicer?" mean? I don't understand. :P

SuperJK

Quote from: Calaurix_95 on Jun 07, 2016, 07:17 AM
Quote from: SuperJK on Jun 06, 2016, 11:59 PM
Lol, no it's not.

It wasn't off topic. My whole post wasn't. And please, what the heck does "OT-er means off topicer?" mean? I don't understand. :P

it means being off-topic

/warp SteveCoMuseum

TheStarNomad✯

Quote from: Green_Giant on Jun 06, 2016, 10:42 PM

I know for a fact that Survival does often peek over 50, not so much now due to the exams etc. but in the summer i'm 99% sure it will at some points.
Maybe survival could be set to 100?

Long time StarNomad

Towelie

Lowering the amount of slots doesn't make it any cheaper. We rent dedicated servers, we still pay the same regardless of how much we use them

Follow me on Instagram (i post cool stuff) https://www.instagram.com/toweliewtf/
Psst, got a Nintendo Switch? Add me -> SW-6574-1607-3796

SuperJK

Quote from: Green_Giant on Jun 05, 2016, 10:40 AM
Quote from: Calaurix_95 on Jun 05, 2016, 09:11 AM
Quote from: SuperJK on Jun 05, 2016, 08:49 AM
Quote from: Calaurix_95 on Jun 04, 2016, 07:15 AM
Quote from: SuperJK on Jun 04, 2016, 06:31 AMRemove parkour it's too boring but if SFT RBX would be popular and HG is also very not used very much so i think to remove both

1. Don't advertise. -I didn't RBX is a game :P

2. A lot of people play on Parkour. <-- Lel most of the Parkour is zero I have joined it alot of times and yes not much players on Parkour -SuperJK

3. Just because you don't like a server doesn't mean it has to shut down. <-- I DIDN'T say I didn't like a server SuperJK

Roblox isn't a server
No, but it's another game which people would be driven towards due to its ease of access, turning people away from SFT. And, you said that Parkour is boring, labelling that you don't like it.
What. So you're saying we're not allowed to talk about other games? What about all this talk about Altis life, DayZ and other things that SFT doesn't currently have a server on, are we not allowed to talk about that? Are we not allowed to even suggest SFT could have a server for it like SuperJK did?

It's perfectly fine to mention another game.
Actually If I get Builder's club for roblox i'll probrally make a SFT group for 100 robux for SFT-ers who play roblox with permission from @Towelie and also You can post Youtube links so yeah only YT links are allowed and twitter links so you can link SFT's twitter and we can have the normal server ranks and players would be in those groups of ranks also you can make group items like shirts e.c.t I'll maybe ask @Towelie if we can BTW there is parkour on RBLX but they are called obbies and also my friend on Roblox who i am friends with can maybe help out i've told her if i could do something like this and she said she is fine with it.   FYI: It is also FREE to get an account and places Builder's Club is paid though but making Places is free as well. Also making the group is required 100R$ (Robux). So Towelie you actually don't need to pay ;)

/warp SteveCoMuseum

JinxOnTheLoose

Quote from: SuperJK on Jun 07, 2016, 10:19 AMActually If I get Builder's club for roblox i'll probrally make a SFT group for 100 robux for SFT-ers who play roblox with permission from @Towelie and also You can post Youtube links so yeah only YT links are allowed and twitter links so you can link SFT's twitter and we can have the normal server ranks and players would be in those groups of ranks also you can make group items like shirts e.c.t I'll maybe ask @Towelie if we can BTW there is parkour on RBLX but they are called obbies and also my friend on Roblox who i am friends with can maybe help out i've told her if i could do something like this and she said she is fine with it.   FYI: It is also FREE to get an account and places Builder's Club is paid though but making Places is free as well. Also making the group is required 100R$ (Robux). So Towelie you actually don't need to pay ;)

There is a huge difference between a server and a group. Also, not many people play Roblox anymore. I used to play on it when I was younger and it was extremely popular, looking at it now (Which I have previously), it looks like it's lost 90% of the community.
To be honest, I think talking about a Roblox group is irrelevant to this topic. Nothing is stopping you from making a group on Roblox.

BattleAxium

Quote from: Green_Giant on Jun 06, 2016, 10:42 PM

I know for a fact that Survival does often peek over 50, not so much now  due to the exams etc. but in the summer i'm 99% sure it will at some points.

I was using those numbers as an example. Never said Survival/Pix couldn't be above or below that. But, lately I've never seen them reach max slots even when advertised.

American_Walrus

Some of you are straying quite off topic. Try to stay at the topic at hand.

Lucy_23x

Quote from: American_Walrus on Jun 07, 2016, 01:59 PMSome of you are straying quite off topic. Try to stay at the topic at hand.
NEVVEERRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!

Had to do that.

Foonsen

I would say hunger games and parkour because they can integrated as events on other servers.
[Lost Islands Manager]