[Community Discussion] Mojang's new up-coming EULA and how servers stand

Started by Towelie, Jun 06, 2014, 07:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGoldenKibby

Quote from: Towelie on Jun 06, 2014, 06:29 PM
Quote from: TheGoldenKibby on Jun 06, 2014, 05:52 PM
Ok, if I buy auto perms within the next week, and the update has not come out yet, will i be able to keep the perms? And if not, can I still buy the auto perms with in-game money?
If you can see autoshops in our donator shop you will receive them.  if we are forced not to sell, we'll remove from donator shop
Cool, thanks towel.

Cireshie

Quote from: onionboyzz on Jun 06, 2014, 07:21 PM
So if this goes through big servers will fall, as well as people will stop playing minecraft. That will then cause minecraft youtubers who rely on servers to fall
And this will cause lots of hatemail to Mojang. This might actually get them to listen to the community as well as to their ideas.

Toxic_Foxtrot69

Hell yeah I would still donate to SFT!!!!  I donated before I became staff, and I will continue to donate.

SFT FOREVER!!!

You can call me Toxic

mafiageorge

This seems like a stupid move by Mojang, if they think people are going to switch to realms if they kill privately owned/run servers then they clearly don't understand how their own game works.

brotherband

Fractalion

Quote from: brotherband on Jun 06, 2014, 09:32 PM
Will the voteshop on main be removed or stay?

Votes aren't microtransactions, so they will likely remain unaltered.

maxwolf28

Quote from: TheHuntingHunter on Jun 06, 2014, 11:49 PM
Quote from: Towelie on Jun 06, 2014, 07:09 AM
They are only allowing donations, and only if the server hosts offer nothing in return for said donations.

I'm sorry if this comes off as rude, but this is going to kill the donations. Whether you like it or not, people are scumbags and most people want something in return if they pay real money to the server (despite it being a donation.)

Now if they enjoy the server and think that's enough to pay real money to keep it alive, then those are true donations. However, not everybody (and frankly very few people) are that nice and see passed the fact that the money they're giving is helping the server and not just them getting items.  :-\
The thing is that bay be many people are nice enough but don't have the money or are not allowed to spend money on a game, since most of the player base are kids.

Stariieyed

A lot of the community doesn't want SFT to die out, hopefully that will be enough incentive to keep us going strong. Items are a nice perk, but if players want to keep playing and we're forced to remove the items from the shop then they're gonna have to donate in order to or completely stop, cause we won't be the only server effected. This could be enough incentive to keep the server costs paid. Or maybe I'm being too hopeful. :|

AzGotSwag

Quote from: Towelie on Jun 06, 2014, 03:10 PM
Quote from: AzGotSwag on Jun 06, 2014, 02:10 PM
So let me see whats happening, mojang forced us to donate and get nothing in return, right? so why dont we make a mitiny at mojang xD OR make a secret donation shop that they dont realize.

EX: everyone has a now a "wallet" in their forum account that is LINKED to their IGN account, if the donate to the server, automatically, it gives than some $$$ in their wallet (depending about you donated,DU), that you can use in the GAME, (don't add it on the website, they will see it) just type a command (IDK make up a command) and click on stuff you cant, use the wallet money, and BOOM, you got stuff, but lost wallet money, the guys wont realize a thing!

Because my ass is on the line and I can get sued and I have sacrificed a lot for sft but my freedom I will not sacrifice for anyone or anything.

your ass is on the line?! wow, its really that bad? well im still donating for sft, curse this realms there trying to make!

ArctickStrike

If it's me, I will donate this server, even no rewards. Yes, it's a cool server, veeery cool, so it needed to survive. If you wanna play this server for forever, just donate it.
Anyway, if I can earn Euros, I will donate it immediately... But I only have RMBs

Kingcozza

Quote from: Dpa1991 on Jun 06, 2014, 01:24 PM
What I took from what Notch said is you cant go restrict access to something like mining diamonds and require the user to donate to use something that should be available to them at the start. So as long as we arent withholding game content and REQUIRING the user to donate to access, we should be fine.

Our donations are optional and a way to progress your play on the server faster, everything can be obtained for free if you play and we do our best to keep it that way.

Post Merge: Jun 07, 2014, 06:31 AM

Quote from: Dpa1991 on Jun 06, 2014, 01:24 PM
What I took from what Notch said is you cant go restrict access to something like mining diamonds and require the user to donate to use something that should be available to them at the start. So as long as we arent withholding game content and REQUIRING the user to donate to access, we should be fine.

Our donations are optional and a way to progress your play on the server faster, everything can be obtained for free if you play and we do our best to keep it that way.

Kaninka

Update from Notch:

:zombie:

So in theory, nothing has changed, they are just focusing on the terms and conditions that we all agreed on

Towelie

First tweet is confusing. So he is saying we can't offer rewards for donations.

Follow me on Instagram (i post cool stuff) https://www.instagram.com/toweliewtf/
Psst, got a Nintendo Switch? Add me -> SW-6574-1607-3796

Eternal_Jamie

Looks that way, but I don't think they've decided properly to what extent they are going to enforce it/if they're going to make exceptions to that blanket rule.

Jyncs

It's been over 3.5 years since you started this. I have been here for 3.49 years of the time. During that time I have seen the server without the donation shop, and we still thrived. Sure it was with a lower player base and not as many slots but I have seen this community go through more than just this.

We will survive and we will keep going no matter what challenges come.

heulen2001

i honestly do not have any idea why i came here but the donation issue can be easily fixed by letting people pay for example a small gift that gets send to their house. this would just be a merchandise shop. the money from the merchandise shop would be put right in the server and people on the server get their ranks they payed for.

they actually never paid for a rank on the server in this case but Towelie just thought it would be a good idea to give the person that rank. they paid for the small gift they got.

the gift would cost towelie like 1$ and people that buy it would pay 61$ for a (what used to be) 60$ rank.

Eternal_Jamie

@heulen if mojang go ahead getting anything back from a donation/payment would basically not be allowed (least in game stuff)

heulen2001

Quote from: Eternal_Jamie on Jun 08, 2014, 05:51 PM
@heulen if mojang go ahead getting anything back from a donation/payment would basically not be allowed (least in game stuff)
they wouldn't pay SFT, they would pay for SFT merchandise.

Fractalion

Quote from: heulen2001 on Jun 08, 2014, 06:25 PM

They're still getting in-game rewards for money being given to SFT.

It's basically the same thing as "rewards that happen to be given to you for donating".

No matter how you word it, it is still buying in-game items/abilities.

heulen2001

Quote from: Fractalion on Jun 08, 2014, 06:28 PM

It's basically the same thing as "rewards that happen to be given to you for donating".

I know, would you tell Mojang tho? just don't tell them.

Fractalion

Quote from: heulen2001 on Jun 08, 2014, 06:34 PM
Quote from: Fractalion on Jun 08, 2014, 06:28 PM

I know, would you tell Mojang tho? just don't tell them.

Doesn't matter if we tell them or not. If they happen to investigate our server and find us doing this, it won't end well.