Apr 27, 2024, 08:18 PM

News:

Like our community? Please +1 our modpack here

August 1st - The end of the SFT Donator Shop as you know it.

Started by Towelie, Jun 16, 2014, 07:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towelie

August 1st is the deadline when all server owners have to update their donator shops to match Mojang's EULA.
What this means: Starting August 1st we won't be able to sell EmpBucks/diamonds or pretty much any items.
We will only be able to sell cosmetic items (particle trails, pets, disguise, etc).
Realistically, we will start editing our new donator shop on July the 15th.
So benefit while you can because after July 15th our donator shops will feature purely cosmetic items.
I have no idea what this means for sft's survival and future existance.

PS: Rank packs are included too: they can't contain items or anything else.

QuoteDo server hosts have a grace period to implement changes to their servers?
Yes. All servers must comply with the EULA by August 1st, 2014.

I am 100% serious. This affects all servers (pixelmon too)

Follow me on Instagram (i post cool stuff) https://www.instagram.com/toweliewtf/
Psst, got a Nintendo Switch? Add me -> SW-6574-1607-3796

LUFC4eva

Question: Will Current donators still keep their things? or is it all going to go?

Towelie

Quote from: LUFC4eva on Jun 16, 2014, 07:32 PM
Question: Will Current donators still keep their things? or is it all going to go?
Yes, current donators will keep their things

Follow me on Instagram (i post cool stuff) https://www.instagram.com/toweliewtf/

GRIMI_

:(

Minecraft's fanbase was already dwindling- way to kill the buzz, mojang.

MobileHome18

Towelie

What will happen if this actually happens (like all signs show it will) and mojang doesn't change their mind:

- IT won't mean the end of SFT, but IT will mean the end of all SFT servers but Survival/Pixelmon/B-Team.
We will cancel 3 of our servers that we have now and downsize Pixelmon/Survival and put all three on a single machine
- So basically we will have two server machines: One for the three minecraft servers and one for the website.

The above won't happen all of a sudden over night, because we still have some backup funds, enough to keep us going for a few months, but you will gradually see it happen.
All the donations will be replaced with cosmetic donations (particle trails, etc).

I know it sucks and seing as we won't have money for advertising any more SFT will probably keep decreasing in size more and more, being unable to compete with the bigger servers which mojang seems to have specifically made loopholes in their EULA for....

I would like to openly blame Mojang for stabbing theirselves in the foot and killing Minecraft and killing small/medium servers leaving just mammoths like Mineplex who can afford to pay lawyers and fight mojang in court and that even mojang let certain loopholes for them to use.
This is nobody but mojang's fault. Until now, they were happy with the tens of millions of dollars they were making in Minecraft sales but apparently it's not ok if anyone else but them makes enough money to pay their bills and server hosting.

Today I lost all the respect I had left for Mojang and Notch and I am saddened by them turning into the next EA.

Kyle_Boardman

How should servers deal with users who have already spent hard currency on features that affect gameplay?

Users may keep the perks they've paid for on the condition that the same perks are available to other players on the server (directly or purchasable using soft currency). It's up to the server host to decide how to compensate users for previous transactions.

This will mean the rescinding of certain permissions then I guess?

happypinecones

This makes me very angry and disappointed with mojang, it is not like SFT is making a profit out of donations, jut to pay for the server to run D:. Will this also mean factions is going to go?
Just to add here, i will still donate to SFT even if i am not buying something.

GRIMI_

Ok, mojang...

wait

Is that selling literally EVERYTHING that affects gameplay.

Selling access to a server is 100% worse than selling a few optional items for those who want to support the server.

Towelie

Also selling access to server is stupid because that would cause us to lose literally about 98% of the players

stuartman9

Nothing we can do about it sadly but we're open to ideas for "cosmetic" type things that we can sell to keep us running.

WillowRain22

You could sell the ability to use waypoints however that is much alike warps <3

Post Merge: Jun 16, 2014, 08:19 PM

I will stick with SFT no matter how big, or how small. Its taken a huge part in my life and I have now lost all respect to mojang...

Mojang is officially off my Christmas card list xP
We've just all got to get together and show that we are a strong community who will stick together through all the thick and thins, up and downs.
END OF STORY... I WILL NOT CONTINUE UNLESS YOU WANT ME TO START CURSING AT HOW RIDICULOUS MOJANG IS...

Eternal_Jamie

Gotta say their "everything is okay people can still make money with servers" idea is dreadful.

"You are allowed to charge players to access your server
So long as the fee is the same for all players, you are allowed to charge for access to your server. You are not allowed to split your playerbase into paying, and non-paying users, nor can you restrict gameplay elements to different tiers of player.

Basically, if you're charging for access to your server, you are selling a "ticket" and there can only be one type of ticket, regardless of how much people are willing to spend."
Who in their right mind would pay to play on a server BEFORE they get to try playing there. Great going mojang.

@Kyle if we set perms at insanely high prices of soft currency we may be able to slip by on that one.

Dpa1991

Quote from: WillowRain22 on Jun 16, 2014, 08:15 PM
You could sell the ability to use waypoints however that is much alike warps <3

Thats a gameplay feature. Mojang rigged the EULA to only benefit bigger servers with xp boosts/minigames. If you look at their Q/A they constantly mention XP boosts and how they worked to make them allowed, and how they mentioned so many things pointed towards those servers.

We have to remove just about everything from the donator shop except the particle trials which I believe has received -one- donation. We dont have a system that can be molded to the EULA that Mojang has made for those servers

JamMan5000

What's the position on staff permissions for this then? Does giving staff things like fly or the other permissions normal players don't get break the EULA?

And for the part about previously donated things, are you planning on taking away the permissions from players who've donated for them, or are you going to add a way for permissions such as fly or autoshops to be bought using empbucks?

I think mojang is being unreasonable about this and as much as there may well be a valid case for some of the changes they're implementing, they've gone about doing it the completely wrong way.

Towelie

Quote from: JamMan5000 on Jun 16, 2014, 08:22 PM
What's the position on staff permissions for this then? Does giving staff things like fly or the other permissions normal players don't get break the EULA?

And for the part about previously donated things, are you planning on taking away the permissions from players who've donated for them, or are you going to add a way for permissions such as fly or autoshops to be bought using empbucks?

I think mojang is being unreasonable about this and as much as there may well be a valid case for some of the changes they're implementing, they've gone about doing it the completely wrong way.
If i have to choose between stripping players of the permissions they donated for  OR adding those permissions buyable with emp and leaving the donators keep them, I'll go with the latter.
Giving staff fly permisisons and stuff does not affect the EULA as we are not asking for money when we give staff those perms

Kyle_Boardman

Giving staff permissions would not violate the EULA as staff is not earned via payment.

rens0wntnoob

i hope mojang knows what they're doing.they're going to fuck up their playerbase so bad.

willhill2000

rens0wntnoob

Quote from: willhill2000 on Jun 16, 2014, 08:31 PM
Discount time?? ;DD
yeah. such a good idea, let's call it EULA-And-Mojang-is-fucking-us-up discount weektime

[yes, that was sarcasm]

ryan_m004

Why Mojang WHY?! (They fucked it this time)
Sorry to hear this tow
Quote from: MrEpicWonder on Dec 25, 2014, 09:21 PMi have such a good memory, an apple, an orange and a tennis ball thrown at my dick.

Towelie

Darren64_NY