[Internet] PewDiePie is making 4 million a year from his YouTube career

Started by The Lovin Spoon, Jun 19, 2014, 01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Lovin Spoon

Watching other people play video games is growing increasingly popular these days. Sites like Twitch—where people can tune in to watch other people play games, eSports, and so forth—have exploded in popularity.

In fact, Twitch ranks fourth in peak US internet traffic, ahead of sites like Facebook and Amazon. If anyone doubted that video games were a spectator sport, that should be evidence enough to the contrary.

But revelations that YouTuber 'PewDiePie' is raking in $4 million a year for his gaming videos should hammer the nail home.

PewDiePie—Felix Kjellberg—plays games while talking, screaming, and swearing, and it's earned him 27 million subscribers, more than established gaming channels like Machinima, which has just under 11.5 million.

itsConnor_

f..f..FOUR million? Wow..something doesn't seem quite right when someone is making 4 times the salary of the Google CEOs by making videos on YouTube
Trainee & JMod July 2011-early 2012
Mod - summer 2012
Head of Hosts - December 2012 - July 2013
Steam

deeklz

Gah, four million? I know he donates a lot to charity, but four MILLION?

Kyle_Boardman

And we're sourcing figures from where? Or is this another bullshit 'OMG YOUTUBERS MAKE SO MUCH' estimate based off of the $7 per video ad view?

ddude_stnom

Not hard to believe considering he has had about 250,000,000 million views in the last 15 days, and gained roughly 400,000 subscribers xD.

Eternal_Jamie

Quote from: Kyle_Boardman on Jun 19, 2014, 05:48 PM
And we're sourcing figures from where? Or is this another bullshit 'OMG YOUTUBERS MAKE SO MUCH' estimate based off of the $7 per video ad view?
Gotta say the numbers sound like BS. If he is making that much then well done to him.

Kingcozza

I wouldn't think it's 4mil, he posted a video a few weeks back on how overall his charities raised 1mil, 4mil sounds a little over exaggerated, he must earn a lot though.

Post Merge: Jun 19, 2014, 10:44 PM

I just read somewhere he's made around 4mil, I take back what I said..

MosesRN

He is making nowhere near that much money. You're not ttaking into account that they are not paying nearly as much as you think. Psy, with his Gangham Style, made roughly 890,000 dollars off of his youtube video that had +1 billion views.  http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2012/12/how-much-are-1-billion-youtube-hits-worth-only-870-000-just-ask-psy/266020/

rens0wntnoob

it's alot of money for a pc gamer.but i get it, he's famous (20M people full of robots and normal beings)

i'm not gonna hate on him or anything, got nothing against him. i respect him that he donates to chairty

ExconHD

Quote from: joshholymoses on Jun 19, 2014, 10:56 PM
He is making nowhere near that much money. You're not ttaking into account that they are not paying nearly as much as you think. Psy, with his Gangham Style, made roughly 890,000 dollars off of his youtube video that had +1 billion views.  http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2012/12/how-much-are-1-billion-youtube-hits-worth-only-870-000-just-ask-psy/266020/
That's different. You can't compare 1 viral video to a whole channel.

itsConnor_

Quote from: Chris7500 on Jun 21, 2014, 08:19 PM
Quote from: itsConnor_ on Jun 19, 2014, 02:01 PM
f..f..FOUR million? Wow..something doesn't seem quite right when someone is making 4 times the salary of the Google CEOs by making videos on YouTube
>.>
No, if that's right he'd be making four million times the salary of Page and Brin, who both have limited their salaries to a dollar for tax reasons.
Obviously their take home options are a lot more that PewDiePie is making, and to give perspective, several Google execs took home bonuses in excess of thirty million.
Aha. Must have read as $1m...how peculiar.  Do you know exactly what these tax reasons are?
Trainee & JMod July 2011-early 2012
Mod - summer 2012
Head of Hosts - December 2012 - July 2013
Steam

Jyncs

http://socialblade.com/youtube/user/PewDiePie

http://socialblade.com/youtube/user/PewDiePie/monthly

What this site does for those too lazy to click the about when they are on the page.

"Social Blade compiles data from YouTube, Twitch, and Instagram and uses the data to make statistical graphs and charts tracking progress and growth. We include information such as estimated earnings and future projections, providing both numerical data and graphs. Statistics are freely available to anyone using our website or smartphone apps. Social Blade currently tracks over 3.3 million YouTube channels and 700,000 Twitch channels. Social Blade has over 800,000 unique visitors every month."

divergent timelord

This may be true but there has been many rumors surrounding what youtubers get paid.