May 23, 2024, 02:45 AM

News:

Support us on Patreon and get exclusive perks!

[Sport] Luis Suárez banned for 4 months

Started by itsConnor_, Jun 26, 2014, 02:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

itsConnor_

Uruguay striker Luis Suarez has been suspended from all football-related activity for four months for biting Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini.

The Liverpool player, 27, has also been banned for nine international matches, ruling him out of the rest of the 2014 Fifa World Cup and will also miss the first nine games of the Premier League season, returning for round four of the Capital One Cup on 27 October. Suarez has also been fined 100,000 Swiss francs (£65,680).

"Such behaviour cannot be tolerated on any football pitch and, in particular, not at a FIFA World Cup when the eyes of millions of people are on the stars on the field,"
-- Claudio Sulser, chairman of the Fifa disciplinary committee, said in a statement.

Uruguay have three days to appeal against the decision.

SOURCE: BBC SPORT
Trainee & JMod July 2011-early 2012
Mod - summer 2012
Head of Hosts - December 2012 - July 2013
Steam

SkullzCrew

If only this could have happened before England played Uruguay. Maybe we'd have won then.

GotAnError

Screw the modern world! Our lovely earth is flat, ask the Medieval men!

Eternal_Jamie

emm10

This will decimate his career. Four months doesn't seem like that much, but when you think about how many games there are in four months, that's almost a full season. He might even be kicked off the team, and I say good riddance.

itsConnor_

Quote from: emm10 on Jun 26, 2014, 03:07 PM
This will decimate his career. Four months doesn't seem like that much, but when you think about how many games there are in four months, that's almost a full season. He might even be kicked off the team, and I say good riddance.

The Premier League starts mid-August, so he'll miss 9 matches (~ 1/4 of the season). In fact, he's back 2 months after the season starts!
Mod - summer 2012
Steam

Eternal_Jamie

But he's already had bans very similar to this in the past... it's obvious he doesn't learn from them. A year ban minimum would be more appropriate but sadly this is as extreme as fifa want to go.

GazzyMonkey

Jun 26, 2014, 04:39 PM #7 Last Edit: Jun 26, 2014, 06:25 PM by itsConnor_

EDIT by itsConnor_: To embed a youtube video, make sure the url has 'http' and not 'https' :)

ddude_stnom

Quote from: Eternal_Jamie on Jun 26, 2014, 02:57 PM
Not much of a punishment really.

I agree. He will only miss the World Cup and some premier league matches, as Conner has said.

My view is that is should be permanently banned from playing for his country, therefore denying him the 'World Stage'.

GotAnError

Quote from: ddude_stnom on Jun 26, 2014, 05:15 PM

I agree. He will only miss the World Cup and some premier league matches, as Conner has said.

My view is that is should be permanently banned from playing for his country, therefore denying him the 'World Stage'.

Doesn't matter. Without him, Uruguay's fate has been sealed. They will lose the next match because Suarez is basically carrying the team. So his punishment is a punishment for his whole country. That might inflict some damage.
Screw the modern world! Our lovely earth is flat, ask the Medieval men!

itsConnor_

Quote from: Eternal_Jamie on Jun 26, 2014, 03:26 PM
But he's already had bans very similar to this in the past... it's obvious he doesn't learn from them. A year ban minimum would be more appropriate but sadly this is as extreme as fifa want to go.
I don't think an extension on the ban would make a whole lot of difference, actually. He clearly has mental issues and what he needs most is sessions with a psychiatrist.
Quote from: GotAnError on Jun 26, 2014, 05:36 PM

Doesn't matter. Without him, Uruguay's fate has been sealed. They will lose the next match because Suarez is basically carrying the team. So his punishment is a punishment for his whole country. That might inflict some damage.
Good point. The amount of guilt Suarez will have when Uruguay are eliminated following their match with Colombia will be huge.

Update:

The Uruguayan football association have appealed FIFA's decision.

I find that somewhat disturbing..
Mod - summer 2012
Steam

GazzyMonkey

Quote from: GazzyMonkey on Jun 26, 2014, 04:39 PM

EDIT by itsConnor_: To embed a youtube video, make sure the url has 'http' and not 'https' :)

thank you, i never get these damn things right

onionboys

" only the world cup " this is a one in every 4 years event. You dont get many opportunities to play in the World Cup

Goldeneye0242

Quote from: itsConnor_ on Jun 26, 2014, 06:27 PM

Update:

The Uruguayan football association have appealed FIFA's decision.

I find that somewhat disturbing..
Well, I don't blame them. You would be crazy not to appeal considering Suarez is their only good player.

Eternal_Jamie

Yeah but even with an appeal he isn't going to get to play for them for the rest f the world cup, appeal will take too longer.

And @connor was thinking a longer period would allow time for stuff like that, as 4 months is quite a short time to actually look into someone's mental issues.

itsConnor_

Quote from: GazzyMonkey on Jun 26, 2014, 11:19 PM
Quote from: GazzyMonkey on Jun 26, 2014, 04:39 PM

thank you, i never get these damn things right
I only learnt a few days ago :P
Mod - summer 2012
Steam

LaughingPickle78

He should be sent to prison for assault. If I walked up to a random guy in the street and bit me, I'm pretty sure that that is assault, something which you can be sent to prison for (Not sure about Uruguay's rules or Brazil's rules).
In the UK, if I went up and bit someone I'd get some jail time no doubt, a huge fine as well. How does him doing it in a football game make any difference. If I went to a Sunday league game and bit someone I wouldn't just get a 4 month ban from playing in Sunday league.

This is the 3rd time as well. He's a scumbag and deserves to go to prison.