Apr 28, 2024, 09:18 AM

News:

Proudly established in 2010, still going!

It's that time of the year

Started by Towelie, Jun 30, 2014, 02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucazade13

Quote from: Towelie on Jul 01, 2014, 06:49 AM
Quote from: lucazade13 on Jul 01, 2014, 06:38 AM
I suggest we go for the Red Cross War memorials children's hospital

I was there on a school outing about a week ago and just seeing how old the wards look they could really use some help with funds.

They are the only children's hospital like this in the whole of Africa

They are getting loads of patients all the time from all over Africa witch is costing a huge amount to transport them

So if you ask me i suggest we help them

Thanks for reading this :)

Lucazade
Thank you for suggesting but we are only sponsoring global charities (as we want something that would benefit everyone across the world)

Ok that is fine thanks for reading it :)

Survival Elite
Just your average energy drink

Kyle_Boardman

Women's Reproductive Health Charity

Woman Care Global's mission is to provide affordable access to high-quality reproductive health products for women and girls around the world through a sustainable value chain, empowering them to make and act on safe choices.

Post Merge: Jul 01, 2014, 07:00 AM

Also, should voting really have opened before you'd drawn up a list of the charities people suggest?

Towelie

Quote from: Kyle_Boardman on Jul 01, 2014, 06:58 AM
Women's Reproductive Health Charity

Woman Care Global's mission is to provide affordable access to high-quality reproductive health products for women and girls around the world through a sustainable value chain, empowering them to make and act on safe choices.

Post Merge: Jul 01, 2014, 07:00 AM

Also, should voting really have opened before you'd drawn up a list of the charities people suggest?
You're right, I removed the poll.
Also, I know I'm gonna get hate for this but I don't see how helping women have children helps the world.
I am against overpopulation by means of people having multiple kids when they can't even support their kids.
Now cancer research = helps everyone in the world, hell everyone here could have cancer one day (i really hope they don't). SPCA: helps animals who have suffered unspeakable abuses. Oxfam: helps the world against poverty.

Now I would've understood if this was a charity that saves sick children.

Also, this is not really a global charity as it helps only women.

Follow me on Instagram (i post cool stuff) https://www.instagram.com/toweliewtf/
Psst, got a Nintendo Switch? Add me -> SW-6574-1607-3796

Kyle_Boardman

The charity helps provide women in poorer countries with access to contraceptives that not only help reduce the spread of HIV in the third world but helps with the problem of over population. Also, animals aren't worth as much as a human life in my eyes yet we're outwardly supporting a charity for animals. Neglecting women in favour of animals seems rather ridiculous - I was pointing out a charity that is often swept under the rug in favour of traditional 'CANCER IS BAD' and 'SAVE THE ANIMALS AND CHILDREN' charities.

Post Merge: Jul 01, 2014, 07:11 AM

Also, 'Also, this is not really a global charity as it helps only women.'  That statement is entirely fallacious, I'll let you figure out why.

Towelie

Quote from: Kyle_Boardman on Jul 01, 2014, 07:08 AM
The charity helps provide women in poorer countries with access to contraceptives that not only help reduce the spread of HIV in the third world but helps with the problem of over population. Also, animals aren't worth as much as a human life in my eyes yet we're outwardly supporting a charity for animals. Neglecting women in favour of animals seems rather ridiculous - I was pointing out a charity that is often swept under the rug in favour of traditional 'CANCER IS BAD' and 'SAVE THE ANIMALS AND CHILDREN' charities.
Their message indicates that they are aimed towards helping women procreate. That is a thing I do not support. However, since they are also supporting the contraceptive part I will add it to the poll.
And animal lifes are as worth saving as any human being. People can do horrible things like kill and rob each other, animals are innocent beings who cannot save themselves and do not just kill each other for a hundred bucks.

PS: Cancer kills over 20000 people / day. People like you and me people who have done nothing wrong. So maybe the traditional "cancer is bad" is because cancer is actually bad....

Follow me on Instagram (i post cool stuff) https://www.instagram.com/toweliewtf/

Kyle_Boardman

By your logic, The cancer charity is not global as there is no representation for other diseases. By the same logic the animal charity offers no support for humans and hence is not global.

WRH promotes reproductive health it's in the name, perhaps I should have made that clearer.

Towelie

Quote from: Kyle_Boardman on Jul 01, 2014, 07:14 AM
By your logic, The cancer charity is not global as there is no representation for other diseases. By the same logic the animal charity offers no support for humans and hence is not global.

WRH promotes reproductive health it's in the name, perhaps I should have made that clearer.
how many women die each day from reproductive health issues?
Cancer kills 20000 people / day.

Also, the women supported by this charity are in this situation because they've had unprotected sex and that's an action they caused.
Cancer kills people indiscriminately, regardless of what you did or did not.

Kyle_Boardman

That isn't an argument, you can't just state a figure and then suddenly have me have your opinion. The fact that cancer kills more does not make it any more worthy of support but clearly I'm fighting a losing battle because tradition always wins out and being able to say you donated in the fight against cancer always makes people feel warm and fuzzy inside. Cancer isn't the only issue the world faces, people need to realise this.

Post Merge: Jul 01, 2014, 07:19 AM

OMG can you hear yourself. THE THIRD WORLD IS VERY UNEDUCATED ON THESE ISSUES. That's why this charity exists..........

Post Merge: Jul 01, 2014, 07:19 AM

Also cancer is not indiscriminate, I hence propose we support a cancer charity that does not aid those with lung cancer that have ever smoked in their life.

Towelie

Quote from: Kyle_Boardman on Jul 01, 2014, 07:18 AM
That isn't an argument, you can't just state a figure and then suddenly have me have your opinion. The fact that cancer kills more does not make it any more worthy of support but clearly I'm fighting a losing battle because tradition always wins out and being able to say you donated in the fight against cancer always makes people feel warm and fuzzy inside. Cancer isn't the only issue the world faces, people need to realise this.
By all means I will add the charity you suggested to the poll,.
And it's all about people that die. What are we trying to save then if not dying people? Whether they die because of cancer, poverty or any other cause it's irrelevant.

Towelie

This post will remain open for suggestions until 9/1/2014 23:59.
After that a poll will be opened

itsConnor_

Thoughts on Kiva? You can choose exactly who you help, you are ensured your money goes directly to that person's / people's cause AND you get the money back afterwards! (which we could pump into more charity things). We can literally help individuals / families / groups out of poverty and so much more; an interesting charity I think!
Trainee & JMod July 2011-early 2012
Mod - summer 2012
Head of Hosts - December 2012 - July 2013
Steam

stuartman9

Quote from: Towelie on Jul 01, 2014, 07:11 AM
And animal lifes are as worth saving as any human being.
Quote from: Towelie on Jul 01, 2014, 07:19 AM
What are we trying to save then if not dying people?
By the same logic we shouldn't support SPCA.

Towelie

Quote from: a**hole on Jul 01, 2014, 10:39 AM
Quote from: Towelie on Jul 01, 2014, 07:11 AM
And animal lifes are as worth saving as any human being.
Quote from: Towelie on Jul 01, 2014, 07:19 AM
What are we trying to save then if not dying people?
By the same logic we shouldn't support SPCA.
Pfft.

Towelie

Quote from: itsConnor_ on Jul 01, 2014, 10:10 AM
Thoughts on Kiva? You can choose exactly who you help, you are ensured your money goes directly to that person's / people's cause AND you get the money back afterwards! (which we could pump into more charity things). We can literally help individuals / families / groups out of poverty and so much more; an interesting charity I think!
Too hard to determine who's a scam and who's not.

itsConnor_

Jul 01, 2014, 01:23 PM #39 Last Edit: Jul 01, 2014, 01:26 PM by itsConnor_
Quote from: Towelie on Jul 01, 2014, 12:55 PM
I can see your point, however Kiva's a highly professional non-profit organisation. Here's an example:

Meet Ghayda. Here's her story.

For each loan, there is a medium by which the money gets to the borrowers - in this case, Izdiharona for Economic Development, so they ensure the money gets to the people in need just as much as any other charity would do.

Just my thoughts, but I think if we give to a big charity, we wouldn't be able to see where our money goes and it could just be spent on marketing, etc. (no disrespect to the big charities). With Kiva we can choose exactly to whom our money goes and get updates on how it's improving their lives. You even get the money donated back (it's a loan, after all)!

I can understand if you still feel you'd rather go with another charity, though. Just food for thought!
Mod - summer 2012
Steam

Towelie

Quote from: itsConnor_ on Jul 01, 2014, 01:23 PM
I can see you're point, however Kiva's a highly professional non-profit organisation. Here's an example:

For each loan, there is a medium by which the money gets to the borrowers - in this case, Izdiharona for Economic Development, so they ensure the money gets to the people in need just as much as any other charity would do.

Just my thoughts, but I think if we give to a big charity, we wouldn't be able to see where our money goes and it could just be spent on marketing, etc. (no disrespect to the big charities). With Kiva we can choose exactly to whom our money goes and get updates on how it's improving their lives. You even get the money donated back (it's a loan, after all)!

I can understand if you still feel you'd rather go with another charity, though. Just food for thought!

I get your point but yeah, i believe we should support global charities rather htan individuals.

itsConnor_

Quote from: Towelie on Jul 01, 2014, 01:25 PM
I can see you're point, however Kiva's a highly professional non-profit organisation. Here's an example:

I get your point but yeah, i believe we should support global charities rather htan individuals.
What exactly do you mean? If you donate to a big charity, your money isn't going to change the world any more than donating to individuals / families / groups is, surely? So Kiva isn't a global charity because it gives money directly to individuals / groups? Plus, these big charities are already getting a large amount of donations, whereas the individuals / groups on Kiva are in desperate situations with nowhere else to turn. Anyways, I just think it deserves a place on the poll, but up to you! :)
Mod - summer 2012
Steam

TheMop123

The charity "A leg to stand on"
this charity funds for children who have lost limbs but cannot afford prosthetic limbs.
This charity means alot to one of my friend's friends  from Holland and it would be really awesome to help people like them out   

Towelie

Quote from: itsConnor_ on Jul 01, 2014, 01:34 PM

What exactly do you mean? If you donate to a big charity, your money isn't going to change the world any more than donating to individuals / families / groups is, surely? So Kiva isn't a global charity because it gives money directly to individuals / groups? Plus, these big charities are already getting a large amount of donations, whereas the individuals / groups on Kiva are in desperate situations with nowhere else to turn. Anyways, I just think it deserves a place on the poll, but up to you! :)
Let's say people vote to Kiva and it wins. Who do we actually donate the money to? Who decides which of the people there to sponsor?

itsConnor_

Quote from: Towelie on Jul 01, 2014, 04:53 PM
Quote from: itsConnor_ on Jul 01, 2014, 01:34 PM

Let's say people vote to Kiva and it wins. Who do we actually donate the money to? Who decides which of the people there to sponsor?
That's a very good point; could cause problems. My only answer to that would be a thread of suggestions and a subsequent poll, although you're right - it could get complicated
Mod - summer 2012
Steam

Stariieyed

Towelie