May 13, 2024, 08:19 AM

News:

Like our community? Please +1 our modpack here

[Global News] India doctor removes 232 teeth from a 17 year old boys mouth

Started by The Lovin Spoon, Jul 23, 2014, 09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Lovin Spoon

Doctors in India have extracted 232 teeth from the mouth of a 17-year-old boy in a seven-hour operation.
Ashik Gavai was brought in with a swelling in his right jaw, Dr Sunanda Dhiware, head of Mumbai's JJ Hospital's dental department, told the BBC.

The teenager had been suffering for 18 months and travelled to the city from his village after local doctors failed to identify the cause of the problem.

Doctors have described his condition as "very rare" and "a world record".

"Ashik's malaise was diagnosed as a complex composite odontoma where a single gum forms lots of teeth. It's a sort of benign tumour," Dr Dhiware said.

"At first, we couldn't cut it out so we had to use the basic chisel and hammer to take it out.

"Once we opened it, little pearl-like teeth started coming out, one-by-one. Initially, we were collecting them, they were really like small white pearls. But then we started to get tired. We counted 232 teeth," she added.

The surgery, conducted on Monday, involved two surgeons and two assistants. Ashik now has 28 teeth.

Describing Ashik's case as "very rare", Dr Dhiware said she had "not seen anything like this before in my 30-year career", but said she was "thrilled to get such an exciting case".

BluetigerESW

I enjoy the act of xD-ing, like if you agree

GotAnError

I first read it as 232 toes were removed from his mouth. I was like: ehm, wtf?

Sounds awful though :(
Screw the modern world! Our lovely earth is flat, ask the Medieval men!

Sparkle_Sun

Towelie

Quotewe couldn't cut it out so we had to use the basic chisel and hammer to take it out
Kill me now.

Follow me on Instagram (i post cool stuff) https://www.instagram.com/toweliewtf/
Psst, got a Nintendo Switch? Add me -> SW-6574-1607-3796

Hedgehog706

Quote from: Towelie on Jul 29, 2014, 04:37 AM
Quotewe couldn't cut it out so we had to use the basic chisel and hammer to take it out
Kill me now.

*looks around*
Gladly