Apr 27, 2024, 05:46 PM

News:

Have a Super Fun Time!

Microsoft takes over Mojang/Minecraft

Started by katoon123, Sep 15, 2014, 01:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

katoon123

Sep 15, 2014, 01:31 PM Last Edit: Sep 15, 2014, 08:59 PM by katoon123
Yes, the deal is real. Mojang is being bought by Microsoft.

It was reassuring to see how many of your opinions mirrored those of the Mojangstas when we heard the news. Change is scary, and this is a big change for all of us. It's going to be good though. Everything is going to be OK. <3

Please remember that the future of Minecraft and you – the community – are extremely important to everyone involved. If you take one thing away from this post, let it be that.

We can only share so much information right now, but we've decided that being as honest as possible is the best approach. We're still working a lot of this stuff out. Mega-deals are serious business.

Why did you sell Minecraft?
Minecraft has grown from a simple game to a project of monumental significance. Though we're massively proud of what Minecraft has become, it was never Notch's intention for it to get this big.

As you might already know, Notch is the creator of Minecraft and the majority shareholder at Mojang. He's decided that he doesn't want the responsibility of owning a company of such global significance. Over the past few years he's made attempts to work on smaller projects, but the pressure of owning Minecraft became too much for him to handle. The only option was to sell Mojang. He'll continue to do cool stuff though. Don't worry about that.

There are only a handful of potential buyers with the resources to grow Minecraft on a scale that it deserves. We've worked closely with Microsoft since 2012, and have been impressed by their continued dedication to our game and its development. We're confident that Minecraft will continue to grow in an awesome way.

Minecraft means many different things to millions of people across the world, and to each and every Mojangsta. We feel that this is the best way for everyone – you guys included – to benefit.

What about the other editions of Minecraft? Will they stop being developed?
There's no reason for the development, sales, and support of the PC/Mac, Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, PS4, Vita, iOS, and Android versions of Minecraft to stop. Of course, Microsoft can't make decisions for other companies or predict the choices that they might make in the future.

We're extremely proud of all editions and the awesome things you have achieved through playing together.

Is the game going to change? Will we still be able to make videos, mods, awesome builds, and all the cool stuff we've created over the past few years?
Minecraft will continue to evolve, just like it has since the start of development. We don't know specific plans for Minecraft's future yet, but we do know that everyone involved wants the community to grow and become even more amazing than it's ever been. Stopping players making cool stuff is not in anyone's interests.

What about the Mojang staff? What's happening to you guys?
Though it's too early to confirm which of us will continue working on Minecraft or other projects, we predict that the vast majority (if not all) Mojangstas will continue to work at Mojang for the time being.

The founders: Notch, Carl, and Jakob are leaving. We don't know what they're planning. It won't be Minecraft-related but it will probably be cool.

What's happening to the other Mojang projects, like Scrolls?
We don't know yet. We'll share any news as soon as we do.

Will you still be able to tweet about features and interact with the community on a personal level, just like you've done over the years?
Yes! That's not going to change.

How much money was the company bought for?
Microsoft acquired Mojang for a smooth 2.5 BILLION dollars.

Thanks for reading everybody.

https://mojang.com/2014/09/yes-were-being-bought-by-microsoft/
http://news.xbox.com/2014/09/games-minecraft-to-join-Microsoft

Towelie

I predict that this is the end of Servers. What mojang has done with the EULA until now is noting compared to what I think microsoft will do.
Good things will NOT come from this, for SFT and other servers at least.
I am expecting the worst.

Follow me on Instagram (i post cool stuff) https://www.instagram.com/toweliewtf/
Psst, got a Nintendo Switch? Add me -> SW-6574-1607-3796

Towelie

Sep 15, 2014, 01:42 PM #2 Last Edit: Sep 15, 2014, 01:47 PM by Towelie
But as always, we'll try until the last moment and I guess now, more than ever, the pressure is on me to find an alternative to Minecraft that will keep SFT together in case Minecraft doesn't any more.

PS: I share this guy's views (sarcasm alert)

Follow me on Instagram (i post cool stuff) https://www.instagram.com/toweliewtf/

Towelie

Eternal_Jamie

I can see microsoft focusing future updates and development on xbox rather than PC. If they're paying 2.5bil things will change and become more profit focused, may even charge for future updates on x-box or release minecraft 2 and just stop updating this one. It'll be interesting what happens anyway, hopefully not as doom and gloom as what towels has said but can see it being a possibility.

The Lovin Spoon

Towelie

I can see a glimmer of hope from this video
http://news.xbox.com/2014/09/games-minecraft-to-join-Microsoft

They are basically acknowledging servers and the community and acknowledging that they contributed to Minecraft's development and saying they will work closely with them in the future too. This is positive and gives me hope but we are still dealing with the unknown here and you can't be sure of anything.

werewolfxx5

Quote from: brE on Sep 15, 2014, 02:28 PM
Rip sft

Lets not make and predictions yet xP SFT Might still go on!
Former B-Team: Elder | 1.7.10: Elder/ Ex-AHoS
Prison: Ex/JMod | Pocket: Legend | Survival: Veteran
Pixelmon: Pikachu | Pixelmon Classic: Legendary / Ex-JMod | Creative: Dabbler

Qwerty102964

Maybe it's just my optimism speaking, but... I don't think this is terrible in every aspect. I imagine Microsoft has quite a few developers ready to get their hands on Minecraft. At the very least, they could make some improvements to quite a few of the bugs (from lighting errors to x-ray glitches) that have been around for years that Mojang never bothered to deal with. ;)

Cesspitsid

I'm expecting the worst, but I think we should expect the worst so we are prepared for it, until then I think we should just play on, have fun and hope for the best.
Hope is all we have :)

Long Goner

Of course SFT will survive. Nothing can be THAT bad can it?

N1ux_

i dont think it will be bad i think it will be good for sft i mean we cant always be positive but maybe it will be for the better.

Towelie

SFT Won't dissapear regardless of what happens with Minecraft if there are people willing to keep it up.
So even if it comes to the worse, SFT will still be here, probably a lot less popular and hosting other games.
I wish there was something else I could focus on but Minecraft but there doesn't seem to be anything but Unturned, and Unturned isn't hostable until they add proper anti-griefing support.

BluetigerESW

Quote from: Eternal_Jamie on Sep 15, 2014, 01:46 PM
I can see microsoft focusing future updates and development on xbox rather than PC. If they're paying 2.5bil things will change and become more profit focused, may even charge for future updates on x-box or release minecraft 2 and just stop updating this one. It'll be interesting what happens anyway, hopefully not as doom and gloom as what towels has said but can see it being a possibility.
This is exactly how I feel, the whole reason Microsoft bought it is for more profit, and I don't think it'll be all that good the way that they'll try to get it...but none the less sft does have other games like TTT and unturned so I believe we'll still survive no matter what Microsoft does
I enjoy the act of xD-ing, like if you agree

Cesspitsid

Quote from: Towelie on Sep 15, 2014, 03:43 PM
SFT Won't dissapear regardless of what happens with Minecraft if there are people willing to keep it up.
So even if it comes to the worse, SFT will still be here, probably a lot less popular and hosting other games.
I wish there was something else I could focus on but Minecraft but there doesn't seem to be anything but Unturned, and Unturned isn't hostable until they add proper anti-griefing support.

Unturned 3.0 looks like it will epic for SFT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQy9Os23oWc&feature=youtu.be

Hopefully the server can have it's very own unique map and once anti-griefing is implemented, I think it could be a good replacement if something went wrong with minecraft servers

Adam_Sawg

Guys Minecraft will still go on.. but MY question is: will there be any updates on minecraft? or will they add any updates to pc? i mean, it started on pc first... and if minecraft is closed 1% chance, we can still play other famous pc games..
besides, if they will close minecraft, why will they even buy it? XD

lioneatszebra

Read this as "Minecraft bought Microsoft"

Also, I think this may be good for Minecraft. Minecraft isn't too well known. It wasn't until they started making phone apps that people started discovering Minecraft. Maybe Microsoft is going to push it further and make it more well known.
brb, living offline

itsConnor_

Trainee & JMod July 2011-early 2012
Mod - summer 2012
Head of Hosts - December 2012 - July 2013
Steam

Green_Giant

Quote from: Adam_Sawg on Sep 15, 2014, 04:14 PM
Guys Minecraft will still go on.. but MY question is: will there be any updates on minecraft? or will they add any updates to pc? i mean, it started on pc first... and if minecraft is closed 1% chance, we can still play other famous pc games..
besides, if they will close minecraft, why will they even buy it? XD
Minecraft on the PC will still live on. Microsoft are a computer company, I'm sure the only thing that they're gonna focus less on is the iOS version of the game.

katoon123

Sep 15, 2014, 04:43 PM #19 Last Edit: Sep 15, 2014, 04:53 PM by katoon123
microsoft will want to make money some way from the pc players in some kind of subscription or make you buy servers from them.

R1mP3x

Hello

• GFWL Multiplayer
  • Monthly fee for multiplayer
  • Mountain Dew and Doritos for more XP from mobs

R.I.P In Pepperoni

• Free local server hosting
  • Mod support
Neva 5get 1998-1337

krankenstein20

if sft has to face the music there is one game i can think of that i think can be cool its called yu gi oh check it out

Green_Giant

Quote from: krankenstein20 on Sep 15, 2014, 05:15 PM
if sft has to face the music there is one game i can think of that i think can be cool its called yu gi oh check it out
Yu-Gi-Oh is a trading card game, can't really see SFT moving there...

Towelie

Quote from: Green_Giant on Sep 15, 2014, 05:18 PM
Quote from: krankenstein20 on Sep 15, 2014, 05:15 PM
Yu-Gi-Oh is a trading card game, can't really see SFT moving there...
^

supergomguy

Even if minecraft servers go down there will still be sft. SFT is more than just a bunch of random people that play a game together, it's a community of friendly and kind people. The community will keep it alive, even if there are no major hit game servers that SFT will host I'm sure through the forums and stuff everyone will keep in touch and SFT might not just be a thing of the past. Either that or you guys find a new game and it becomes just as popular as minecraft, I'm not sure though. I don't think Microsoft is going to spend that much money to ruin a game.