[eSports] Next CS:GO major will be DH Winter ($250k prize pool)

Started by itsConnor_, Oct 04, 2014, 11:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

itsConnor_

DreamHack has announced that the upcoming Winter event will feature a major CS:GO tournament with a $250,000 prize pool, with the winners taking $100,000 home.

One year after hosting the first-ever CS:GO major tournament, co-funded by Valve, DreamHack has announced that the 2014 Winter event, scheduled to take place between 27-29 November, will also feature a whopping $250,000 prize pool.

The tournament will feature a total of 16 teams, with the top eight sides from the last major, ESL One Cologne, receiving invitations. The remaining teams will be determined through a series of online qualifiers, to be held this month.

In a new addition, the organisers will offer a pre-event bootcamp in Stockholm, giving the participating teams the best possible training conditions going into the tournament.

The 8 invited teams are: NiP, fnatic, Titan, Dignitas, Na`Vi, Virtus.pro, Cloud 9 and Epsilon. The remaning 8 places will be fought for in online qualifiers.

The previous major was ESL One - at Gamescom - which was a huge success, with a record 410,000 viewers watching the grand final between NiP and fnatic.

Current Major Winners (runners-up):
DreamHack Winter 2013 - fnatic (NiP)
EMS One Katowice - Virtus.pro (NiP)
ESL One - NiP (fnatic)

Source: HLTV.org
Trainee & JMod July 2011-early 2012
Mod - summer 2012
Head of Hosts - December 2012 - July 2013
Steam

emm10

Why is this news? I mean, there have been DOTA tournaments for prizes about 10 million, so why this and not that?

ChoctheMilkman

Theres a team called Cloud 9? lol! thats the name of a night club in Melbourne haha

itsConnor_

Quote from: emm10 on Oct 04, 2014, 12:31 PM
Why is this news? I mean, there have been DOTA tournaments for prizes about 10 million, so why this and not that?
Seriously? I am aware that Dota 2 has very big prize pools through crowdfunding..but significantly more people play Dota 2 than CS:GO. CS:GO is the fastest growing eSport and the biggest FPS in the world, with, as mentioned in the article, over 400,000 people tuning in to watch the ESL One final. To put that in perspective, 200,000 was the peak players today.
To answer your question, this is news because, in CS:GO, majors are the biggest events, hosting a $250k prize pool vs. ~$50k max prize pools of the other tournaments. If CS:GO continues to see exponential growth, I'm sure the prize pools will grow, particularly with its unrivaled accessibility as a spectator sport compared to all the other esports. I don't post about Dota 2 as I don't follow the esport; plus, I'm pretty sure The International was in July.
Any CS:GO or esports fan would certainly deem this as news.

Quote from: Choc_Milks22 on Oct 04, 2014, 12:38 PM
Theres a team called Cloud 9? lol! thats the name of a night club in Melbourne haha
Yeah..there's one of the two top American teams (along with iBUYPOWER) - the got to the quarter-finals at ESL One!
Mod - summer 2012
Steam

ButterWhisperer

c9c9c9c9c9 = winwinwinwinwinwin

shroud9 is just 2 op  8)

itsConnor_

Quote from: TheHuntingHunter on Oct 04, 2014, 03:33 PM
I really hope Cloud 9 take this major. Hiko, n0thing, semphis, shroud, and sgares are all just good people who stay away from bullshit drama. They deserve it.

They're also American. ;)
Quote from: TheEngineer on Oct 04, 2014, 06:47 PM
c9c9c9c9c9 = winwinwinwinwinwin

shroud9 is just 2 op  8)
The Cloud 9 games are ESL One were fantastic - all of them - so I have a bit of a soft spot for them! Still waiting for a tier 1 UK team...(gogo The Lone Rangers[now fm Toxic]).
Quote from: Best_Shooterman on Oct 04, 2014, 10:14 PM
Virtus.pro (y)
ooooh why VP? :)

Quote from: emm10 on Oct 04, 2014, 09:18 PM
http://gyazo.com/caf174598441b1bb31c3b195b928fc85
Seems legit.
I felt your comment was rude, saying this esports news article in the news board wasn't news, hence I 'downvoted' your comment, as you have mine.
Mod - summer 2012
Steam

ButterWhisperer

Quote from: emm10 on Oct 04, 2014, 12:31 PM

This is news. The Dota2 scene has been more established than the CS:GO scene, and this is a big prize pool for the CS:GO community, since it is a newer game. There are a lot more competitions, but they all have smaller prize pools. Last time I checked, any gaming news was allowed.

Quote from: djkirsh on Apr 06, 2014, 12:31 AM

What do the tags mean?
[TV] - Television show reviews, renewals and cancelations, TV news
[Movie] - Movie reviews, movie previews, synopses, etc.
[Music] - New albums, hot new artist, etc.
[Book] - Review of books
[Sports] - Match/game plays and scores
[Technology] - New things to the technology world (Ex. PS4)
[Gaming] - Release dates of anticipated games, reviews, etc.
[News] - Global, national news
[Health] - News about food or health and fitness
[Celebrities] - News about celebrities
[Editorial] - Opinion pieces about almost anything
[Politics] - Pieces about international or domestic politics
[Economics] - On the state of the economy or anything money-related.
[Science] - Anything to do with any of the sciences (biology, chemistry, physics, environmental, social, etc.)