Jun 06, 2024, 11:31 PM

News:

Proudly established in 2010, still going!

[Global News] President Obama's statement of keeping the Internet open and free

Started by The Lovin Spoon, Nov 10, 2014, 11:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Lovin Spoon

Quote from: The VergePresident Obama has come out in support of reclassifying the internet as a utility, which would allow the Federal Communications Commission to enforce more robust regulations on it and protect net neutrality. "The time has come for the FCC to recognize that broadband service is of the same importance and must carry the same obligations as so many of the other vital services do," Obama writes in a statement this morning. "To do that, I believe the FCC should reclassify consumer broadband service under Title II of the Telecommunications Act — while at the same time forbearing from rate regulation and other provisions less relevant to broadband services."

In a statement outlining what he'd like internet service to look like, Obama highlights four major points: internet providers wouldn't be allowed to block websites offering legal content, they wouldn't be allowed to intentionally slow down or speed up certain websites or services based on their own preferences, and they wouldn't be able to offer paid fast lanes. Obama also asks that the FCC investigate and potentially apply net neutrality rules to the interconnect points that sit between service providers and content providers. That's potentially huge news for Netflix, which has been arguing that this area of the internet should be covered by net neutrality all year.

Official presidential statement: http://www.whitehouse.gov/net-neutrality

killjoy27

This is literally the only thing that he did, that I even slightly agree with. But I honestly believe he's just doing it for show.
Just because I'm Russian, Doesn't mean I'm a Commie. OK, maybe I am a bit of a commie.

GotAnError

Quote from: killjoy27 on Nov 10, 2014, 11:58 PM
This is literally the only thing that he did, that I even slightly agree with. But I honestly believe he's just doing it for show.

Blame it on the Republicans in the Congress. Always blame it on them.
Screw the modern world! Our lovely earth is flat, ask the Medieval men!

TheGoldenKibby