Apr 28, 2024, 10:56 AM

News:

Proudly established in 2010, still going!

The war on rating abuse

Started by Towelie, Nov 25, 2014, 01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towelie

First of all, I would like to encourage all forum members to use ratings more. That ratings bar is not there just as a decoration, it's meant to be used!
Now, I would like to talk about rating abuse -> The way in which some people rate posts just to affect a person's reputation,  for purposes not related of the quality of the current post.  I have added two new powerful tools that will help us from now on to fight these abusers: Admin Like and Admin Unlike. These two new rating items are useable just by Server Owners and give -100 / +100 rating with a single click. We will use these to drop the abuser's ratings to values they can never recover from (NOTE: You get muted under a certain value), and we will also start issuing time bans on repeated abuse.

Seing as we are doing this, I am going to give all the users with a negative rating of under -100 a chance to reset their ratings to 0 or close to 0. (via multiple +100 ratings if needed) This will be an ONE TIME opportunity and will not repeat. To benefit from that, post here saying that you'd like it. NOTE: We will not do this again in the future unless the negative karma is a result of proven abuse.

Follow me on Instagram (i post cool stuff) https://www.instagram.com/toweliewtf/
Psst, got a Nintendo Switch? Add me -> SW-6574-1607-3796

krankenstein20

cool this problem has been there a while

Loasty

Glad to see that the issue is being resolved in an effective matter :) 
Pixelmon Admin
Need assistance? contact me on discord @ Loasty#4663

MrEpicWonder

Rating abuse has been going on for a while now, i've seen it myself. I'm glad to see the whole situation come to a new solution. c:
Quote from: Towelie on Dec 16, 2015, 09:12 AMI'd still like to see the nativity scene re-enacted in minecraft while I eat popcorn and mock Christians
Quote from: Towelie on Jan 17, 2016, 08:45 AMSending me any inappropriate pictures will cause you to get banned (unless you are a female and 18+)

Darren64_NY

We should just get rid of it like really. I don't think people will stop it.

xQuicScopex

i think people make friends and just want to help each other out.....like there are some staff that get high likes on posts just for saying "hey stop this"

Brightpkz

Really effective way of solving the abuse, great job!! :D

Call me Bond. Bright Bond.
Elytra Creds to Cayko <33

The Lovin Spoon

ples give me ratings noone likes me

rens0wntnoob

The Lovin Spoon

Jyncs

Really whats the point to it.

To me it is just something that does look pretty. I have rarely used it, proably because there are too many options.

I have never seen a forum successfully implement something like this and it actually work the way it is suppose to and without abuse. It just comes hand in hand. Even the most simple like upvote and downvotes on reddit and imgur can get abused.

There is a reason on facebook why there is only an option to Like and not a Dislike button, because it will get abused.

supermee3

I agree 100% with Jyncs. I do not see a point to it either. For the same reasons as Jyncs. Also I feel like people will base a post on the rating the person has, rather than the post itself. Some people would probably go like, "Oh he has -200, I won't read this post".

The Lovin Spoon

then just remove negative ratings
problem solved

this is just like the forum karma in 2011 all over again, when the answer is so very simple, people suggest to remove it instead. sigh

Towelie

Quote from: brE on Nov 25, 2014, 04:14 PM
then just remove negative ratings
problem solved

this is just like the forum karma in 2011 all over again, when the answer is so very simple, people suggest to remove it instead. sigh
People giving out negative ratings that are warranted is not a problem. People that abuse negative ratings to antagonize somebody is the problem.

Follow me on Instagram (i post cool stuff) https://www.instagram.com/toweliewtf/
Psst, got a Nintendo Switch? Add me -> SW-6574-1607-3796

Cesspitsid

funkymonkey245

Today may seem cloudy and tomorrow not much better but you just gotta remember only you can clear the weather so whenever you're feeling down just keep your head up to the sun because at the end of the day there's always better days to come...

Happysheep102

Lazy_0ne

I was wondering what those new rating options were, hope this changes things. :)

maxwolf28

The rating system is very cool but i don't use it much.
P.S. I think is a popularity thing.

Tyvic

Quote from: Towelie on Nov 25, 2014, 01:29 PM
To benefit from that, post here saying that you'd like it. NOTE: We will not do this again in the future unless the negative karma is a result of proven abuse.

What do you mean? Does this mean I can get a 0 or higher rating? I have a -114 rating. :(

DarkTrainer45

Nov 26, 2014, 02:46 AM #20 Last Edit: Nov 26, 2014, 02:57 AM by DarkTrainer45
Quote from: maxwolf28 on Nov 25, 2014, 07:56 PM
The rating system is very cool but i don't use it much.
P.S. I think is a popularity thing.
In reality it is just for popularity people are just gonna use the rates to either make people feel happy or to make them feel bad. Or they'll do it because they want to be kind or just an ass. People use these rates just so they can show if they need improvement or it's really nice quality work they did or said. Sometimes it's just used to they can see someone spaz out about it and get negative ratings and then the Abuse starts to really happen. Forums is just the forums it's not like your actually getting rates in real life it's just how people feel so it may be for popularity to become a Miricx (yea I put ur name sir)

DuaneandBrand0

Quote from: Tyvic on Nov 25, 2014, 11:32 PM
To benefit from that, post here saying that you'd like it. NOTE: We will not do this again in the future unless the negative karma is a result of proven abuse.

What do you mean? Does this mean I can get a 0 or higher rating? I have a -114 rating. :(

Seing as we are doing this, I am going to give all the users with a negative rating of under -100 a chance to reset their ratings to 0 or close to 0.
You'll still have -14, but it's closer to 0

ryan_m004

Quote from: MrEpicWonder on Dec 25, 2014, 09:21 PMi have such a good memory, an apple, an orange and a tennis ball thrown at my dick.

Adam_Sawg

thats awesome can i be 0? plz =) -64 is bad...

TheGoldenKibby

Maybe we should remove negative ratings completely?