[Survival] Should we increase autoshop tax to 10%? (poll inside)

Started by Towelie, Dec 14, 2014, 05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the autoshop tax be increased from 5% to 10%? (read post before voting)

Yes
42 (53.2%)
No
37 (46.8%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Voting closed: Dec 18, 2014, 05:29 PM

Towelie

Please vote in the poll above.

In my opinion, we should increase the autoshop tax from 5% (what it is now), to 10%. That would help the server's economy quite a lot and in a way, it would help the players too due to less inflation.
I strongly support this proposition.

NOTE: If the "YES" option wins, we will immediately increase autoshop tax to 10%

Follow me on Instagram (i post cool stuff) https://www.instagram.com/toweliewtf/
Psst, got a Nintendo Switch? Add me -> SW-6574-1607-3796

Cr1_98

Just a question, when a player buys from an auto shop are they the ones paying the 10% tax because if they are then I don't think it will help new players as it just takes more money off them.
For selling to an auto shop yeah, I agree an increase in tax could help.

GotAnError

If players so desperately want to promote their player run shops, I suggest they put more effort in advertising them in-game. I always see the same copy-pasted messages. IMO, it's not really the fault of the autoshop owners. It's just that people need to start getting more creative to compete in this business. IMO, it's unfair to tackle autoshops even more.
Screw the modern world! Our lovely earth is flat, ask the Medieval men!

Cireshie

Okay, I did not put any vote, but I might if I see other people's arguments. I have a reason why I didn't though.

Either:
1. Make autoshops 10% tax instead of 5%
Or
2. Make Global Market 10% tax instead of 5% (I am not 100% sure it is 5% currently)

Towelie

Autoshop owners pay the tax, not players who buy items

Follow me on Instagram (i post cool stuff) https://www.instagram.com/toweliewtf/

Cireshie

Quote from: Towelie on Dec 14, 2014, 05:58 PM
So similar to Global Market? The people who buy the items don't get taxed?

SkullzCrew

However, as a result of this, autoshop owners may want to increase their prices by 5%, which could increase the appeal for player run shops (slightly). It wouldn't be that much, but it could perhaps promote player interaction as well as taking more money out of the economy. Personally I'm all for it.

Towelie

Quote from: Cireshie on Dec 14, 2014, 06:00 PM
yep

brotherband

Quote from: Towelie on Dec 14, 2014, 06:51 PM
Quote from: Cireshie on Dec 14, 2014, 06:00 PM
yep

Goes the other way too; if you sell an item to an autoshop the player will get taxed, not the autoshop owner.

cravend

Wasn't aware there was a tax at all O.o
I think 5% is fine, though. Interesting to see how this plays out though!
Thanks to Mewiebowie for the spectacular avatar!

GotAnError

I think a tax increase won't change anything at all. People are genuinely far too lazy (or don't have enough time) to get their own items through mining, wood chopping etc., because it takes too much time and effort to collect them in such great amounts. There are people who don't have much time to play each week, or even have set amounts of time, because their parents won't let them play too much. Because of this, people generally try to get done as much as possible in as little time as possible. What do they do? They resort to shops. Autoshops are always available. Player run shops barely are ever available. It's hard to get to player run shops which have what you need in the amounts you need. There's always a limitation. There's always this one item a player run shop doesn't have or doesn't have a lot of, while autoshops are open 24/7, have all the items you need (mostly in great amounts) and don't have long queues to wait in before it's finally your turn. In short, it's much more time and cost (as in, costs of effort) efficient. Therefore, I do not think a tax increase will change anything. Sure, the prices in autoshops will go up a bit, but not many people will suddenly stop going to autoshops or go less to them, just because of that.

Also, I am not really biased. I have a player run shop myself and don't have autoshop perms. Just an fyi :D

ryan_m004

@gotan, couldn't have said it better.

Another problem with player run shops is alot of people sell instead of buying.
People are so used to their preferred autoshops, they know where items are and what price they are. Since /shop has been removed due to 1.8, people will be able to put their prices up by 100 emp without worrying about competition as you can't view the prices as you used to be able to. (This is just a point of view)
Quote from: MrEpicWonder on Dec 25, 2014, 09:21 PMi have such a good memory, an apple, an orange and a tennis ball thrown at my dick.

Towelie

Quote from: GotAnError on Dec 14, 2014, 10:42 PM
I think a tax increase won't change anything at all. People are genuinely far too lazy (or don't have enough time) to get their own items through mining, wood chopping etc., because it takes too much time and effort to collect them in such great amounts. There are people who don't have much time to play each week, or even have set amounts of time, because their parents won't let them play too much. Because of this, people generally try to get done as much as possible in as little time as possible. What do they do? They resort to shops. Autoshops are always available. Player run shops barely are ever available. It's hard to get to player run shops which have what you need in the amounts you need. There's always a limitation. There's always this one item a player run shop doesn't have or doesn't have a lot of, while autoshops are open 24/7, have all the items you need (mostly in great amounts) and don't have long queues to wait in before it's finally your turn. In short, it's much more time and cost (as in, costs of effort) efficient. Therefore, I do not think a tax increase will change anything. Sure, the prizes in autoshops will go up a bit, but not many people will suddenly stop going to autoshops or go less to them, just because of that.

Also, I am not really biased. I have a player run shop myself and don't have autoshop perms. Just an fyi :D
Adding an autoshop tax would aleviate the inflation and would hlep us still buy items at the emp in a reduced form (work in progress)

stormshooter

I guess it will help get rid of some of the extra emp. But the richer people will still get even richer. Autoshop owners will raise their prices and players will continue to shop there because they can't sell at the emp. I think the buyers will be the real victims.

Towelie

Quote from: stormshooter on Dec 15, 2014, 10:53 AM
I guess it will help get rid of some of the extra emp. But the richer people will still get even richer. Autoshop owners will raise their prices and players will continue to shop there because they can't sell at the emp. I think the buyers will be the real victims.
The emp will buy items again, we are just htinking of doing it better.
Example -> Managers only get 10mil empbucks when they are promoted and they have to make do with that. If they are broke, they can't buy items from the players and will tell them to check back later after some more players will buy items.
This + lower emp buying prices = we'll make do.

Kaninka

Even if we added 30% tax, the smart auto owners, would still profit.
The players lose nothing, the auto owners earns less, but would still become quite rich.
Honestly 10% isn't that big of a deal, if it will help a little, lets do it.  :zombie:

Green_Giant

In all honesty, if you were going to add a tax like this, you should not have let the auto owners know it was happening and up their prices.

Towelie

I can't do anything without the community's approval, else I get raged at and I get another SFT Rebellion kind of crap.
Honestly, this could go either ways. It could either be good for the server and the players or bad for both. Vote as you see fit, I won't judge.

BluetigerESW

Personally I think that this would help a lot, but there will always be people that complain that they don't want more tax cause they want more money.
I enjoy the act of xD-ing, like if you agree

GotAnError

Quote from: BluetigerESW on Dec 15, 2014, 03:02 PM
Personally I think that this would help a lot, but there will always be people that complain that they don't want more tax cause they want more money.

I sure do hope you don't mean all people who are against the tax implementation with this statement. Because that would just be an unnecessary and blunt generalization.

Cesspitsid

okay... I don't get this...
so if someone walks into my autoshop and buys something for 100emp, I gain 95emp, is this what the tax is? then making it up to 10% 90emp profit? :S

I'm confused as to what the tax is, can someone give a good example?

stormshooter

Quote from: Cesspitsid on Dec 15, 2014, 08:41 PM
so if someone walks into my autoshop and buys something for 100emp, I gain 95emp, is this what the tax is? then making it up to 10% 90emp profit? :S

Well you know how if you pay someone in game, you get taxed? It's kind of similar. Each time you sell something the server treats it like you are directly paying that player, taxing you. However, when they sell something to you, the server treats it like they are directly paying you, therefor they get taxed.

Cesspitsid

Quote from: stormshooter on Dec 15, 2014, 08:56 PM

Well you know how if you pay someone in game, you get taxed? It's kind of similar. Each time you sell something the server treats it like you are directly paying that player, taxing you. However, when they sell something to you, the server treats it like they are directly paying you, therefor they get taxed.

ah thanks, well I'm gonna vote no for this... stocking up items in my auto takes a lot of time and it's quite hard, then to get deducted 10% off the price :S not worth it, if this goes through I might just give up my autoshop

GotAnError

Quote from: Cesspitsid on Dec 15, 2014, 09:27 PM
Quote from: stormshooter on Dec 15, 2014, 08:56 PM

ah thanks, well I'm gonna vote no for this... stocking up items in my auto takes a lot of time and it's quite hard, then to get deducted 10% off the price :S not worth it, if this goes through I might just give up my autoshop

That's not how it works. When you sell something to someone, you just get the full price for it. They pay you, let's say, 100 emp and 10 emp extra gets removed from their balance and just disappears. You don't get it, they don't have it any more. When you buy stuff from them, you too pay the full price, but 10% extra over what you paid gets removed from your balance as well and just disappears into the void.