May 15, 2024, 11:29 PM

News:

Like our community? Please +1 our modpack here

PSA: Name changing to be implemented on February 4th

Started by Towelie, Jan 12, 2015, 06:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

supergomguy

Quote from: xQuicScopex on Jan 23, 2015, 03:38 PM
or people can break rules under one account and if they're are witnesses then they can just change their name and be safe
But the UUID for that player stays the same. But also what happens if you want to pay a player using the current money plugin SFT has now, will a player have to type out and remember another players UUID instead of they're username?

xQuicScopex

Quote from: supergomguy on Jan 23, 2015, 03:48 PM
or people can break rules under one account and if they're are witnesses then they can just change their name and be safe
But the UUID for that player stays the same. But also what happens if you want to pay a player using the current money plugin SFT has now, will a player have to type out and remember another players UUID instead of they're username?

staff can see uuid but in events like unfair pvp or accepting a tpa the victim cant remember the full name but part the attacker can change their name to avoid the victim from seeing them in game and remembering their name

supergomguy

Quote from: xQuicScopex on Jan 23, 2015, 04:04 PM
Quote from: supergomguy on Jan 23, 2015, 03:48 PM

staff can see uuid but in events like unfair pvp or accepting a tpa the victim cant remember the full name but part the attacker can change their name to avoid the victim from seeing them in game and remembering their name
Oh yes true....

xQuicScopex

if staff sees the person do it then yes they can use the uuid but if i tpa to you and kill you then leave and change my name and join back i can probably talk to staff and keep blame off of me (this wont happen from me but still :p) something to think about

Post Merge: Jan 23, 2015, 05:13 PM

maybe make it so you have to make a forum post to request the ability to change your name? or notify staff when you change your name like people do on xbox where they send a message to their friends saying "hey i just changed my name to blah blah blah" maybe this would work but also some people would want the freedom to do whatever they want with their accounts

supergomguy

We need a plugin that records every players that logs in's UUID with their most recent username, either getting their most recent name from Mojang (They should keep logs) or from a backup in the server, idk.

Also you can only change your name once every 30 days or something. So they wont be able to do that too often, but yes I'm sure it could happen.

xQuicScopex

but when its first added they can break the rules under they name now then change or do it every like 35 days or something idk

Eternal_Jamie

Have faith sure Towelie/fear etc. have thought about that stuff and will have things in place to deal with it :P

xQuicScopex

thats true just asking questions out loud to see what happens :p

supergomguy

Mojang should make it so that you can change your name but it only changes in 30 days (or maybe a bit less). It could help a lot with servers and cheating on servers.

xQuicScopex

Quote from: supergomguy on Jan 23, 2015, 05:42 PM
Mojang should make it so that you can change your name but it only changes in 30 days (or maybe a bit less). It could help a lot with servers and cheating on servers.

not something we can make happen XD.....maybe make the server do like a broadcast and say that a players name has cahnged to _______ when they join

supergomguy

Yeah Ik that xD. But that wont really help if the player that knows about that player cheating isn't online.

xQuicScopex

but if a broadcast like this is used then players can see that a player changed their name and can see the old and NEW name so it can help staff get the right person the right consequences

supergomguy

It will help, yeah, but I don't think it will be able to resolve all the problems, especially if no staff or players that know that that player broke the rules.

xQuicScopex

tell staff what their name started with then look at logs for a name close to it ask the player if thats the name then you have the new name of the player based off logs

supergomguy

Jyncs

One thing to note: (Because I read the article before passing judgement on this)

Players can only change their names once every 30 days. Your old name will be locked for 37 days. You can change back to your old name after 30 days.

Player bans and whitelist will still be in effect and changing a name will not go around that ban.

All that being said, a player could cause a ruckus, leave the server, change their name and then rejoin. However most people cannot change and they will quickly be right back at it doing the same thing.

supergomguy

Yeah, but some people would wait until the they can change their name and then do whatever they wanted to do.