Apr 27, 2024, 02:08 PM

News:

Support us on Patreon and get exclusive perks!

[Poll] Do you like where SFT is heading?

Started by Towelie, Jul 31, 2016, 09:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you like where SFT is heading / Are you pleased with the recent changes?

Yes
21 (24.4%)
Somewhat (yes, but I believe the changes must continue)
51 (59.3%)
No
14 (16.3%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Voting closed: Aug 04, 2016, 09:41 AM

Towelie

Aug 01, 2016, 01:20 PM #50 Last Edit: Aug 01, 2016, 01:23 PM by Towelie
So if I were to make a comparison:

Non MC servers: 5
MC servers: 5 (+ 3 more which are in the process of being shut down for example parkour will become part of Survival, Qwest has already been shut down and so on)

So I guess a more correct wording would be "this community is 50% based on minecraft"

PS: I forgot to mention @Camster65 is in the process of testing / setting up a Creativerse server for Minecraft

Follow me on Instagram (i post cool stuff) https://www.instagram.com/toweliewtf/
Psst, got a Nintendo Switch? Add me -> SW-6574-1607-3796

BattleAxium

Survival online: 14/100  [+/-]

Pixelmon online: 39/100  [+/-]

B-Team online: 4/100  [+/-]

LostIslands online: 1/32  [+/-]

Creative online: 0/32  [+/-]

Parkour online: 1/64  [+/-]

WildWest online: 0/64  [+/-]

MineQwest online: 0/64  [+/-]

ARK (PvP) online: 4/50  [+/-]

Rust online: 2/32  [+/-]

Not sure how you would explain this... I wouldn't call any server below 10 players active.

Aymaneto

Quote from: BattleAxium on Aug 01, 2016, 01:25 PMSurvival online: 14/100  [+/-]

Not sure how you would explain this... I wouldn't call any server below 10 players active.
Timezone differences? at times it goes higher than that

Dpa1991

Aug 01, 2016, 01:34 PM #53 Last Edit: Aug 01, 2016, 01:38 PM by Dpa1991

Not sure what you're trying to prove here, we know the current state of the servers.

Parkour, Qwest and west are due to be closed (Parkour moving onto survival, honestly not sure why it was ever put as its own server anyways)

Bteam is our 3rd most popular server or 4th? idk anything about pocket.

Lost seems to have the same few players and likes to crash *a lot*

Creative was never intended to be a server that plays at 32/32 players. It's meant to be a go-to server if you want to experiment with a build and don't feel like going to singleplayer.

Ark is only 1 month old and is going through ups and downs.

Rust is also fairly new.

Also, from your little screenshot:

"Do you have a server or game that you think we should host? Post a suggestion thread"

You're acting as if we are only focusing on minecraft. This is not true, should we completely kill off minecraft and focus on nothing but new servers? Should we kill the only thing that is somewhat working right now, so at the end of the month when we have nothing left?

BattleAxium

Aug 01, 2016, 01:50 PM #54 Last Edit: Aug 01, 2016, 01:55 PM by BattleAxium
Quote from: Dpa1991 on Aug 01, 2016, 01:34 PM

Not sure what you're trying to prove here, we know the current state of the servers.

Parkour, Qwest and west are due to be closed (Parkour moving onto survival, honestly not sure why it was ever put as its own server anyways)

Bteam is our 3rd most popular server or 4th? idk anything about pocket.

Lost seems to have the same few players and likes to crash *a lot*

Creative was never intended to be a server that plays at 32/32 players. It's meant to be a go-to server if you want to experiment with a build and don't feel like going to singleplayer.

Ark is only 1 month old and is going through ups and downs.

Rust is also fairly new.

Also, from your little screenshot:

"Do you have a server or game that you think we should host? Post a suggestion thread"

You're acting as if we are only focusing on minecraft. This is not true, should we completely kill off minecraft and focus on nothing but new servers? Should we kill the only thing that is somewhat working right now, so at the end of the month when we have nothing left?

Well, it's good to know the current state of the servers. I didn't know about any servers being shutdown or moved over. Also, I never said we had to kill off Minecraft. I just don't think we should continue pumping out Minecraft servers which the upcoming ones (I know of) are Creativeverse and prison. I'm glad to see Ark, Rust, LiF, Don't starve etc. are making a presence on SFT. Hopefully that trend continues and we can move away from Minecraft servers.

Towelie

Follow me on Instagram (i post cool stuff) https://www.instagram.com/toweliewtf/

BattleAxium

Quote from: Towelie on Aug 01, 2016, 01:20 PMPS: I forgot to mention @camster65 is in the process of testing / setting up a Creativerse server for Minecraft

Quote from: Towelie on Aug 01, 2016, 01:59 PMCreativerse isn't minecraft, it's a new game
http://www.creativersegame.com/

Towelie

Quote from: BattleAxium on Aug 01, 2016, 02:01 PM
Quote from: Towelie on Aug 01, 2016, 01:20 PMPS: I forgot to mention @camster65 is in the process of testing / setting up a Creativerse server for Minecraft

Quote from: Towelie on Aug 01, 2016, 01:59 PMCreativerse isn't minecraft, it's a new game
My bad. Extreme heat and 8 hours of work xD

BattleAxium

Quote from: Towelie on Aug 01, 2016, 02:02 PM

lol, ok no worries. Just wasn't sure which it was. Good to know.

camster65

Quote from: BattleAxium on Aug 01, 2016, 02:04 PM

The game is a part copy of minecraft in the fact you have to go mining and you can build, but it adds a much more rpg side and less square blocky side into the game, theres a huge amount of biomes, a large amount of things to craft and be made. If you've ever played terreria. Its that weapon and biome system but with a minecraft building style to it.

The game itself is free on steam as well which opens to a much wider audience who simply cant afford other games to play on server like the rust or ark for example, it takes up hardly any space, and doesn't need a decent pc to run it.

Only issue i've bumped into so far is the game has only been released 2 weeks so is in a very early alpha but they are constantly adding and updating to it so theres no reason it won't grow into something

BattleAxium

Quote from: camster65 on Aug 01, 2016, 04:39 PM
Quote from: BattleAxium on Aug 01, 2016, 02:04 PM

The game is a part copy of minecraft in the fact you have to go mining and you can build, but it adds a much more rpg side and less square blocky side into the game, theres a huge amount of biomes, a large amount of things to craft and be made. If you've ever played terreria. Its that weapon and biome system but with a minecraft building style to it.

The game itself is free on steam as well which opens to a much wider audience who simply cant afford other games to play on server like the rust or ark for example, it takes up hardly any space, and doesn't need a decent pc to run it.

Only issue i've bumped into so far is the game has only been released 2 weeks so is in a very early alpha but they are constantly adding and updating to it so theres no reason it won't grow into something

Doesn't seem to have any developer support yet. Guess it's good enough for a server though.

Lucy_23x

Quote from: Towelie on Aug 01, 2016, 01:20 PMSo if I were to make a comparison:

MC servers: 5 (+ 3 more which are in the process of being shut down for example parkour will become part of Survival, Qwest has already been shut down and so on)

So I guess a more correct wording would be "this community is 50% based on minecraft"

PS: I forgot to mention @camster65 is in the process of testing / setting up a Creativerse server for Minecraft
If uh... Qwest and WildWest are being shut down.. Is it at least possible to have my builds moved from there, onto survival/creative
I wouldn't want my efforts wasted because of other people's inactivity

Quote from: sparkydeathcap on Feb 17, 2016, 04:07 AMand also; how old are you? I've always imagined you as like a old irish man that drinks whiskey and screams at people to get off his lawn while sitting on a bench in the park. But I'm pretty sure that's not the case because if it was: 1. you're a pedophile and 2. you're a pedophile

Aymaneto

Quote from: Lucy_23x on Aug 01, 2016, 05:52 PM
Quote from: Towelie on Aug 01, 2016, 01:20 PMSo if I were to make a comparison:

PS: I forgot to mention @camster65 is in the process of testing / setting up a Creativerse server for Minecraft
If uh... Qwest and WildWest are being shut down.. Is it at least possible to have my builds moved from there, onto survival/creative
I wouldn't want my efforts wasted because of other people's inactivity
I don't think wildwest is being shut down, as for qwest it's under maintenance and testing. Correct me if im wrong

American_Walrus

Aug 01, 2016, 08:07 PM #63 Last Edit: Aug 01, 2016, 08:29 PM by American_Walrus
I voted a bit back, never actually put in any input. I'll change that. Voted sometimes

I'm only going to talk about Survival as this is my home server and where I spend 98% of my SFT time.

Staff: Staff are great, and I spent a good portion of my SFT time as EventHost, so I have a firsthand look at this. They are helpful, quick to act, and playful. I'm not only going to compliment them, however, because there are things that need improved (In my opinion). I think that some of them can ease up a little bit. This is not a problem for the majority of staff, but for the ones it does apply to, I am talking to/about you. If you confront someone for griefing, be nice to them. Most of the time, they simply did not read the rules and are unknowledgeable about their wrongdoings. Everyone thinks that they are right until they are proven wrong. Be extra nice about telling them they are doing something wrong. I know @Sparkle_Sun has responded to things like I have just said saying that she is actively trying to improve things like that (and she has), so that is all I will say.

Punishments: Ease up. When I was EventHost, I banned only the people I HAD to. I banned 1-3 people for cheating in events. Ever. Some staff are kick/ban happy. Instead of kicking someone who is spamming a question, answer the question! Then ask them not to spam. People will respond vastly greater to the people who help them, not punish them. On the other end, don't unban someone who has been banned 3+ times for the same/alike things. Don't tell me this hasn't happened. It has.

Just generally, ease up, but  be strict when absolutely needed. Think about the logistics and psychological aspect to it. If you do something to punish someone who thinks they are doing nothing wrong, they will most likely not respond happily. Explain more. Say please. Be more patient, kind, and helpful. That goes for everyone, not staff.

eye_nine

Quote from: Aymaneto on Aug 01, 2016, 06:24 PMI don't think wildwest is being shut down, as for qwest it's under maintenance and testing. Correct me if im wrong
You're right unless it has changed in the past month.

Jyncs

I go to work for the day and I come back to all this!

I didn't mean that we are a solely minecraft based community, I meant that we cannot be a solely based minecraft community because it would not work. Sorry if my statement got mistaken in my message. I think the context got lost and some might have tl;dr;

Sparkle_Sun

Quote from: Jyncs on Aug 01, 2016, 12:20 PM
Quote from: Sparkle_Sun on Aug 01, 2016, 03:16 AMI think SFT is going in the direction it needs to. People complain that Survival is boring and needs to be spiced up, so we add plugins. And then it's too many plugins. It's impossible to please everyone. But one thing seems clear, SFT is primarily a Minecraft community and that doesn't seem to be changing anytime soon. What Towelie's been saying is right; there aren't many games like Minecraft with such customization and server potential. The ones that are out there- Ark, Rust, LiF- aren't getting many players since our community as a whole attracts Minecrafters, because that's what we do.

Personally I'd love to get back to the actual survival aspect with a Vanilla server that's maintained well. I think it'd be a nice change after having everything you could possibly want at your fingertips on Survival. Especially for me, I have zero challenge in Survival anymore. :P

I think SFT should focus on the thriving servers it has and its cut losses on what's not working. And we've done that in a sense. We're doing the best with what we've got, and that's all you can do.

I'm going to be perfectly honest with you, if it wasn't for Rust I would probably not be writing this right now. There is nothing attracting me to stay with a gaming community that focuses solely on Minecraft any longer.

This community has attracted a large player base because of Minecraft. I've been here since the beginning -2 months. I've played minecraft. It has nothing to do with the mods, it has everything to do with the fact that I have done everything and the mods either only make that easier or do not add any real content for me to return playing Minecraft.

Minecraft will die eventually. There will always be stragglers but if we only focus on Minecraft the community will die with it. Are you going to say cut our losses then? This game has been out for over 5 years now(first release was Classic on May 17, 2009). That is a long timespan for any game. Player base is going to drop. Nothing we can do.

Building up player bases in the other servers is not going to be an overnight success like it was with Minecraft. Even Minecraft was not overnight. We started with 20 slots and it slowly increases at first and then it skyrocketed at the height of Minecraft mania. In Rust I have plastered the SFT website everywhere and we are getting a lot of EU players but 0 US players due to the high ping. It is going to take it longer to build up a player base but we are. It takes time sometimes and is not always an overnight success.

The age of the player has shifted too. It used to be more adults and teens and now it is more kids like my son who is 10. What servers does he play? He plays on minigame servers or creative servers that appeal to him or his favorite YouTuber plays on(DanTDM is his favorite). We don't have that "Wow" factor anymore or the popularity of the game behind us to keep the player base high like we did before. This is due to the popularity of the game declining.

As for a vanilla server that is well maintained I will say it again. We have had them. I maintained two of them. One of those times we fought the ender dragon with the entire 5 player base on which was fun. They are popular for about 2 weeks and then people quit them. They stop joining back to it because of the survival aspect of it. It happens every. Single. Time.

If we simply "cut our losses" and we focus solely on the popularity of Minecraft then we will die as a community when the game finally dies. I understand they are adding new things to it but it is still not that "wow" factor it had in the past at the height of it's popularity.

Everything you're saying I actually fully agree with. I wasn't thinking about non-Minecraft games when I said "cut our losses" I was thinking of the Minecraft servers that have a low/non-existant player base. We will have zero room to expand if we keep funding things that don't work.

I do think we need to expand and grow, but our player-base isn't interested in non-Minecraft games because they're made for different audiences. I think it's awesome that we have these new servers, especially with someone like you involved who is interested in growing them. You are right in saying that we need to build up a playerbase for these, it just won't consist of many people here but rather newcomers who join SFT for these new games.