Apr 29, 2024, 01:57 PM

News:

Support us on Patreon and get exclusive perks!

Tapatalk and the SFT forum.

Started by fearthe1337, May 16, 2015, 10:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fearthe1337

Hello everyone,

As of today we have re-enabled tapatalk on the forums. We have manually upgraded it to support the new forum version.
Some features like notifications might not yet work.

At the same time we would like to remind people of the dangers  of tapatalk.
While it is not known if tapatalk actually uses or store this information we would like to mention to you that the following information is send to tapatalk when using their app.

All received Private messages.
All replies in a watched thread.
All posts in a watched board.
Every time you login.
Every link you click.

Besides that there might also be extra security risks.
This signature is for testing purposes.
All rights to this signature are reserved.

donnydoom604

May 16, 2015, 10:39 PM #1 Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 11:33 PM by donnydoom604
We also discussed how the Tapatalk forums were themselves hacked and many passwords from them were taken, some of which passwords were stored in plaintext, what this means is the password was readable to a regular human instead of hashed and made into an incomprehensible string of letters and / or numbers.

And also how E-Mail addresses are sent to the Tapatalk servers (SFT have disabled this feature) by default as part of an "E-Mail trending program" or something.

They also fixed a pretty serious security bug in one patch and didn't change version numbers or let Forum Admins know of the patch, leaving many forums still vulnerable (This was quite a few patches ago, SFT is completely safe), this act is incredibly stupid on their part and makes me seriously doubt them.

All in all, Tapatalk are shady IMO and they shouldn't be trusted 100%, I'm sure Fear will talk to Towelie tomorrow about the future of Tapatalk on SFT for the safety of our users' information.

TheGoldenKibby

Not to mention they change their damn user interface every twenty minutes.

fearthe1337

Quote from: donnydoom604 on May 16, 2015, 10:39 PMWe also discussed how the Tapatalk forums were themselves hacked and many passwords from them were taken, some of which passwords were stored in plaintext, what this means is the password was readable to a regular human instead of hashed and made into an incomprehensible string of letters and / or numbers.

And also how E-Mail addresses are sent to the Tapatalk servers (SFT have disabled this feature) by default as part of an "E-Mail trending program" or something.

They also fixed a pretty serious security bug in one patch and didn't change version numbers or let Forum Admins know of the patch, leaving many forums still vulnerable (This was quite a few patches ago, SFT is completely safe), this act is incredibly stupid on their part and makes me seriously doubt them.

All in all, Tapatalk are shady IMO and they shouldn't be trusted 100%, I'm sure Fear will talk to Towelie tomorrow about the future of Tapatalk on SFT for the safety of our users' information.

Just to clarify, apparently they added a newsletter feature, In order to get the e-mail addresses they made a function in their forum plugin which allows them to obtain all e-mail adresses whenever they want.
I have personally disabled this, as in my personal opinion third parties should not have access to all the e-mail adresses of our members. Even though the idea might be good, I strongly disagree with the following:
  • Them being able to access the entire member name/email collection on demand. (In my opinion this should, if even wanted, be verified manually by an admin, No company should be able to obtain access whenever they want/please.)
  • Them not announcing this, but just adding this functionality
  • The fact that they do not check whether or not a user wishes to receive newsletters.

This signature is for testing purposes.
All rights to this signature are reserved.

Towelie

Thank you for looking after the safety of SFT fear <3

Follow me on Instagram (i post cool stuff) https://www.instagram.com/toweliewtf/
Psst, got a Nintendo Switch? Add me -> SW-6574-1607-3796

iLaxrv10

Ex-Pixelmon Manager
Ex-Survival, Lost Islands, Pocket Edition Elder
Ex-WildWest, B-Team, Factions, Prison Owner