Apr 27, 2024, 09:14 AM

News:

Proudly established in 2010, still going!

[Business] YouTube to launch gaming site

Started by ddude_stnom, Jun 14, 2015, 12:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ddude_stnom

YouTube to launch dedicated video gaming site and apps
Source: British Broadcasting Corporation News.

YouTube is to launch a dedicated site and app for gaming in an attempt to take on Amazon-owned streaming service Twitch.

Twitch allows gaming fans to watch and interact with live broadcasts of others playing games.

Google - which owns YouTube - is understood to have made a bid for Twitch last year, only to be beaten by Amazon's $970m (£620m) offer.

The search giant said the service would launch later this summer.

YouTube Gaming product manager Alan Joyce said: "On YouTube, gaming has spawned entirely new genres of videos, from let's plays, walkthroughs, and speedruns to cooking and music videos. Now, it's our turn to return the favour with something built just for gamers."

Tombo_

Can't wait to see the site. Hopefully it's as good if not better than twitch ;)

ddude_stnom

Quote from: Cocobutter03 on Jun 14, 2015, 12:13 PMCan't wait to see the site. Hopefully it's as good if not better than twitch ;)

I think it will also help new and emerging streamers get into the market, with so much of Twitch being dominated by the big players.

Green_Giant

I remember when Youtube launched the streaming for Youtubers on their own site, it was a disaster. The chat lag was up to 5 minutes on some streams, whereas the same person does it on Twitch with no issues. I hope this one turns out better.

Tombo_

Quote from: ddude_stnom on Jun 14, 2015, 12:16 PM
Quote from: Cocobutter03 on Jun 14, 2015, 12:13 PMCan't wait to see the site. Hopefully it's as good if not better than twitch ;)

I think it will also help new and emerging streamers get into the market, with so much of Twitch being dominated by the big players.

Agreed. Although I think some of the now twitch streamers may transfer to the new site if it's good.

Towelie

Sounds interesting, depends how they're going to apply it.

Follow me on Instagram (i post cool stuff) https://www.instagram.com/toweliewtf/
Psst, got a Nintendo Switch? Add me -> SW-6574-1607-3796

platerfin