Jun 04, 2024, 07:22 AM

News:

Have a Super Fun Time!

Loss of Pstats stats

Started by Towelie, Feb 27, 2016, 10:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towelie

Feb 27, 2016, 10:24 AM Last Edit: Feb 27, 2016, 07:38 PM by Towelie
Due to database corruption (including faulty backups), our PStats (uptime tracking system) has lost the last 40 days of tracking.
We are aware, and there is absolutely nothing we can do to recover this lost uptime. All our backups of this database are corrupted, and @FearThe1337 was only able to locate one that he had, from 40 days ago.
This means that any uptime that you may have gotten on any SFT server in the last 40 days is completely and irrevocably lost.
I apologize for this and I hope you will be able to forgive us for this and continue playing on SFT.

If  @FearThe1337 thinks it's a good idea and is willing to help tomorrow, I propose that we give you guys your average uptime for the past 40 days.
How we would do this ? We take your average per day uptime (calculated for the past 3 months let's say?) then we multiply that by *40 and we add that uptime to you.
I am not 100% sure that this can be done and am waiting for fear's confirmation tomorrow morning. Other than that, the forum was restored to yesterday's version (we had a working backup from the 26th), as well as the shoutbox.

We are unaware what caused this corruption, but I personally believe it was one of the following:
1. RAM failure - Even though I have no conclusive proof to see whether this is true, our host was kind enough to replace all our server's ram
2. Full SSD - At the time of the corruption the SSD was 98% full with backups. This may have caused the database to become corrupted. I will work on a way to prevent that from happening again.

Thank you! This has been a very hard day for me, and I know it has been way harder for Fear who had to tolerate me and instruct me.

Follow me on Instagram (i post cool stuff) https://www.instagram.com/toweliewtf/
Psst, got a Nintendo Switch? Add me -> SW-6574-1607-3796

stormshooter

Thank you owners for putting in a lot of effort to recover forums and pstats.

Towelie

I'm not gonna lie... This is an unprecedented situation which never happened in 5 years since sft exists (also it's scary that we don't know exactly how it happened or if it will happen again ) - thank you @fearthe1337 for all your effort towards this

Follow me on Instagram (i post cool stuff) https://www.instagram.com/toweliewtf/

TheStarNomad✯

Thanks for the hard work being put into solving this odd problem. Hope everything is recovered

Long time StarNomad

Brightpkz

Feb 27, 2016, 11:46 AM #4 Last Edit: Feb 27, 2016, 11:53 AM by Brightpkz
I find it admirable, how the owners and everbody else involved, can pull themselves up and persist through such an odd and unexpected task on the weekends to ensure stability over the community. The speed in the restoring of most forum functions was simply amazing and I can't be more happy that I'm in a community with such devoted owners.

Call me Bond. Bright Bond.
Elytra Creds to Cayko <33

iLaxrv10

Feb 27, 2016, 11:55 AM #5 Last Edit: Feb 27, 2016, 01:04 PM by iLaxrv10
Thank you to all of you guys for getting on this as soon as possible, great job!  :D
Ill be sending this link in game for those who are curious/about every 20 mins or so.
Ex-Pixelmon Manager
Ex-Survival, Lost Islands, Pocket Edition Elder
Ex-WildWest, B-Team, Factions, Prison Owner

Zeph

I Hope everything goes well for sft and all is restorable however.
Lets say we have screenshots of the amount of uptime we've had from after the backup, is their any chance (If pstats comes back) that we can have it restored?

Aymaneto

Hope everything gets fixed soon :)

Lucazade13

Read and understood! Will be linking players to this in game.

Good luck guys! Im sure you will figure it out soon  :creeper:

Survival Elite
Just your average energy drink

Zeph

I'd also like to say thank you for you guys trying to fix this odd issue,Im glad we can still play sft and have the good morale we did before this corruption. Id also like to say how happy i am to be in a community with such amazing people who are spending their weekends trying to make others peoples better.

Doctor_Thanos

Thanks for letting us know Towelie! I just hope the members of our community will understand about /pstats :/

jimbob0102

iLizardv10

hopefully you don't have to roll uptime back 40 days, I just got enough uptime for GymLeader 2 on Pixelmon :(
thanks for the hard work though!

Nubbun

Quote from: iLizardv10 on Feb 27, 2016, 02:13 PMhopefully you don't have to roll uptime back 40 days, I just got enough uptime for GymLeader 2 on Pixelmon :(
This is just an idea, can't they show proof from like last time they did /pstats then screenshot it on private chatlogs and then send it/show it to an admin+ and then get broken ranks? (Like when someone changes account they get the rank moved to the new rank with previous accounts uptime)

This should ofc only work for players that just earned enough time (no savings for like "last month I got 40hours more so I should get it now" and so on)

\(◎o◎)/

stormshooter

Quote from: magl on Feb 27, 2016, 03:18 PM
Quote from: iLizardv10 on Feb 27, 2016, 02:13 PMhopefully you don't have to roll uptime back 40 days, I just got enough uptime for GymLeader 2 on Pixelmon :(
This is just an idea, can't they show proof from like last time they did /pstats then screenshot it on private chatlogs and then send it/show it to an admin+ and then get broken ranks? (Like when someone changes account they get the rank moved to the new rank with previous accounts uptime)

This should ofc only work for players that just earned enough time (no savings for like "last month I got 40hours more so I should get it now" and so on)
I don't think current ranks will actually be broken. For example, if you got member(24h) and then it rollbacked and you had 8hours, you'd still keep the member rank.

Fractalion

I'm sure they would love to fix everyone's uptime, and I can even think of several other ways of getting pstats roughly back to where it ought to be (For example, if a person is a veteran and their uptime is currently less than 200h, we know it can be safely raised to 200h, because they had at least 200h before the database imploded), but as of right now, their time is much better spent fixing whatever went wrong with the database.

I'm not saying they won't ever attempt to fix people's uptime, but it's very unlikely that they will prioritize pstats over tracking down what caused this issue in the first place.

Nubbun

Quote from: TeraStorm on Feb 27, 2016, 03:26 PM

I don't think current ranks will actually be broken. For example, if you got member(24h) and then it rollbacked and you had 8hours, you'd still keep the member rank.
I meant if they JUST got enough uptime and didn't get time enough to buy the rank then shouldn't proof be valid to get it (by paying ofc) xP

-"broken rank up" getting the rank with less uptime on pstats cuz it was enough uptime in a weird way as in on another account or roll back failure of uptime

\(◎o◎)/

Towelie

Can we please leave discussions for what we will do with pstats when everything (including pstats_ is back up and running ?

Server RAM has been replaced and server is now back up, we are still working on restoring pstats and front page, no guarantee when that'll be ready.

Darth_Noob

Thanks for letting us know.

Towelie

Re-wrote the post to better explain.

Aymaneto

Fractalion

Thank you all for your hard work getting everything back up so quickly!

Jasper

Just an idea, but in every minecraft, there is a built in chat-log recording system. So, If someone were to send the chat log or a portion of it to the owners could they set their pstats back to that much uptime? I believe that this is a better idea than averaging it out, but up to you guys. Also, only people who request it would have it done, saving you guys a lot of time.

@Towelie @fearthe1337

CaykoMarie

Thank you for the stressful and difficult time and work you've put into getting everything back. It's very appreciated.

Towelie

Quote from: TeraStorm on Feb 27, 2016, 03:26 PM

^ Exactly.
And no, we can't manually add uptime