[Movies] Why Jason Bourne took so long: 'We didn't have a story.'

Started by lioneatszebra, Jul 29, 2016, 04:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lioneatszebra

Why Jason Bourne took so long: 'We didn't have a story,' says Matt Damon
from Entertainment Weekly

Last we saw super-assasin Jason Bourne was in 2007 with The Bourne Ultimatum. Why did it take so long to finally come up with the sequel? During a recent SiriusXM Town Hall interview with EW Radio host Jessica Shaw, star Matt Damon laughed, "We didn't have a story." 

"We love making these movies, and there just wasn't a story to tell so I'm glad we waited this long," he said of Jason Bourne. "Over the course of all these years, people would come up and ask me if we were gonna make another, and the same thing was happening to Paul Greengrass, the director. People would come up to us and ask us, and I think that just became humbling."

He added, "Having made a lot of movies that nobody went to see, I definitely appreciate a loyal audience."

When Damon and Greengrass eventually considered returning to the franchise, the actor said they "looked at what the world was like in 2007 when The Bourne Ultimatum came out, and we just made a list of what had changed between then and now, and that was incredible."

Citing the presidency of George W. Bush, the economic crash, and the beginning of the social media age, the actor remarked, "It was alarming. It's such a different world, and so much has changed entirely."

"Our digital lives, the implications of our digital lives hadn't really dawned on us," he added, "and what does a digital life say about us and who should be privy to that information? And that whole debate, which is the centerpiece of our times, which is privacy versus security. None of that stuff, we weren't talking about any of it in 2007."
brb, living offline