[TV] 'Game of Thrones' star teases 'lots of shocks' at Joffrey’s wedding

Started by editgal, Apr 05, 2014, 10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

editgal

~ May contain spoilers ~

'Game of Thrones' Star Sophie Turner Teases 'Lots of Shocks' at Joffrey's Wedding
From Yahoo!

There's another wedding in Season 4 of "Game of Thrones," which can only mean one thing — bring a sword along with your gift, because things might get a little bloody.

King Joffrey is marrying Margaery Tyrell this season, which debuts Sunday night, and it promises plenty of shocking moments, as Sophie Turner (who plays Sansa) told Yahoo TV.

With nearly all her family dead, Sansa Stark (now Lannister) remains in the back-stabbing, dangerous den of snakes that is King's Landing. Turner chatted with us about Sansa's future, the Sansa-Tyrion relationship, and her "Game of Thrones" crushes.

Sansa has changed so much since the pilot episode. What has that journey been like?

It's been so rewarding to be able to go on that journey. You see her evolve over time from this stupid, naïve, vulnerable young girl to this strong woman who's had to put up with so much and endured so much and managed to keep her mouth shut. And not out of fear, but out of intelligence, knowing that keeping your mouth shut is probably the best thing you can do in this world. It's been pretty intense and challenging, but great.

In the premiere, she's grieving her brother Robb and is basically shut down. Do you think she's given up?

She hasn't given up by all means. She's just biding her time until she can finally get out of King's Landing. Only then will she be able to do something. She's the key to the North, so she'll have power if she can get out of King's Landing. She'll be able to use that power against the people who have done wrong to her. But she hasn't given up. I mean, how could you give up when the Lannisters, the people who are keeping you captive, have killed your family?

Now she's married to Tyrion, against her will. Their relationship is an interesting one. How do they evolve as a "couple"?

Hot couple! [Laughs.] I think that there's a mutual understanding of each other. Sansa definitely trusts Tyrion, but morally, she can't, because he's a Lannister. But I think they both would never do anything to hurt each other, and they really like each other, but they despise the marriage because it means Sansa is always going to be a prisoner. They've given her the Lannister name and she despises that, but she doesn't despise Tyrion at all.

Can we expect more classic Tyrion one-liners?

Of course you will. It's Tyrion Lannister. He's the best character.

So a big event this season will be Joffrey's wedding. What can you say about that?

There are a lot of shocks at Joffrey's wedding.

Will it rival the Red Wedding?

I don't know. I don't know. It's different from the Red Wedding. It's a fun episode. There's a lot that goes on at that wedding. It'll definitely shock audiences.

Do you ever wish Sansa could pick up a sword and kick some butt?

I think we'd all like to see her do that, and I'm sure she'd love to that as well. I personally would love to do that, but I think Sansa's thing is that her strength comes from keeping her mouth shut and not doing anything to rebel. If she'd done that in King's Landing, she'd be dead by now.

Who would you say is your crush on the show? Character and in real life?

As a character, let me think... I don't really have a crush on any of the characters. Yeah, they're all so evil; no one's very nice. I think the dragons are kind of hunky. They're pretty sweet. [Laughs.] In terms of real life, I have a big girl crush on Maisie [Williams, who plays Arya Stark]. We're close. She's a very good friend of mine.

The action on the show is so spread out, you don't get to work with everyone. Is there someone in the cast you wish you could have more scenes with?

I would like more scenes with Pedro Pascal, who plays Oberyn Martell. I adore him. He's one of my favorite people in the whole wide world, and just having screen time with him would be great. He's such a great actor, and this is his first big thing. He's phenomenal in the first episode. He stood out, and you've got Peter Dinklage there! He's just so good.

"Game of Thrones" Season 4 premieres Sunday at 9 p.m. EST on HBO.