[Gaming] Xbox partners with UK channel to create an original series

Started by editgal, Apr 07, 2014, 12:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

editgal

Microsoft's Xbox Partners With U.K.'s Channel 4 for Original Drama 'Humans'
From The Hollywood Reporter
The gaming platform's other original programming plans include a live action "Halo" project executive produced by Steven Spielberg.

Microsoft's Xbox Entertainment Studios continues to gear up its content ambitions, striking a deal with U.K. broadcaster Channel 4 for an hour-long, eight-episode series Humans, about humanoid robot workers.

U.K. production indie, Kudos, (Broadchurch) will produce the show, which will share a premiere broadcast window on both the Xbox platform in North America and Channel 4 in the U.K. in 2015.

Written by British writing team Sam Vincent and Jonathan Brackley (TV's Spooks and upcoming movie version Spooks: The Greater Good), Humans is an English-language adaptation of Sveriges Television and Matador Film's show Real Humans.

Humans is set in a parallel present where the latest must-have gadget for any busy family is a "synth" -- a highly-developed robotic servant eerily similar to its live counterpart. In the hope of transforming the way they live, one strained suburban family purchases a refurbished synth only to discover that sharing life with a machine has far-reaching and chilling consequences.

"Humans not only questions personal relationships, we loved how this sci-fi show toys with reality and our connection to technology," said Xbox Entertainment Studios president Nancy Tellem.

"This deal with Channel 4 and Kudos underscores Xbox Entertainment Studios' commitment to programming premium TV series with global partners and creating engaging interactive experiences."

The commission adds to Xbox Entertainment Studios rapidly expanding slate of premium television output.

Other previously announced projects include a Halo television series executive produced by Steven Spielberg, Every Street United, an unscripted series about the globally significant sport of street soccer, a tech-focused documentary series by award-winning producers Simon and Jonathan Chinn, the live event Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival, and a "Halo" digital feature project executive produced by Ridley Scott and David Zucker.

Xbox is aiming to attract consumer attention and will look to match the efforts of Netflix, which released its first original show in 2012, while Amazon is also ramping up original output.

Sony Corp.'s entertainment studio also has said it will produce an original series, a drama called Powers for the PlayStation Network.

And on Sunday, reports revealed that Yahoo is prepping its own plans to enter the original programming space.

Xbox studio will also produce a comedy sketch show with Sarah Silverman and Michael Cera's JASH comedy collective and a stop-motion show with Seth Green's Stoopid Buddy Stoodios, which makes the Emmy-winning Robot Chicken.

"In Humans, Sam and Jon have not only crafted an ingenious and imaginative thriller, they're also asking big, thought-provoking questions about how we live," said Channel 4 head of drama Piers Wenger.

"I'm thrilled to be working once again with the team at Kudos and to be partnering with Xbox Entertainment Studios to bring this extraordinary and epic series to the screen," Wenger said. "This is the first co-production commission to benefit from Channel 4's increased investment in drama and reaffirms our commitment to ambitious, highly original drama series."

Jane Featherstone and Derek Wax will executive produce for Kudos, along with Henrik Widman and Lars Lundstrom, from Matador Films, the executive producers of the original Swedish format. Chris Fry (The Smoke) will produce.

Distribution will be handled by Shine International and casting for the show will begin in May 2014 with production scheduled for later this summer.

itsConnor_

Nice. Channel 4 really progressing UK TV, from their Sochi 2014 Gay Mountain, Space Live and now this..
Trainee & JMod July 2011-early 2012
Mod - summer 2012
Head of Hosts - December 2012 - July 2013
Steam

Kyle_Boardman

Quote from: itsConnor_ on Apr 07, 2014, 03:21 PM
Nice. Channel 4 really progressing UK TV, from their Sochi 2014 Gay Mountain, Space Live and now this..
Channel 4 undoes itself in terms of being Gay positive with regards to 'Gay Mountain' and the documentary about gay marriage. They bolster an unduly stereotypical view of homosexuality that makes people ignorant to the idea that homosexuals are normal people. A homosexual is not a flamboyant stereotype that a station can use to push itself as inclusive in order to garner support for itself. 

In terms of this article it's an interesting push by gaming to become a more mainstream, less exclusive form of media. Those that play video games remain, to some degree, seen as time wasters and it will be interesting to see how this mashup will affect that. I'm hardly a proponent of channel 4 and what some would deem its 'quality' programming, but I'm curious as to see how this pans out and especially how the reviews read.

itsConnor_

Quote from: Kyle_Boardman on Apr 08, 2014, 05:15 PM
Channel 4 undoes itself in terms of being Gay positive with regards to 'Gay Mountain' and the documentary about gay marriage. They bolster an unduly stereotypical view of homosexuality that makes people ignorant to the idea that homosexuals are normal people. A homosexual is not a flamboyant stereotype that a station can use to push itself as inclusive in order to garner support for itself. 

In terms of this article it's an interesting push by gaming to become a more mainstream, less exclusive form of media. Those that play video games remain, to some degree, seen as time wasters and it will be interesting to see how this mashup will affect that. I'm hardly a proponent of channel 4 and what some would deem its 'quality' programming, but I'm curious as to see how this pans out and especially how the reviews read.

Fair enough, although they have done other sorts of documentaries such as 'Cure me, I'm Gay', demonstrating the beliefs some people and cultures have towards the homosexuals as absurd. Although, I can certainly see your point (exemplified in Gogglebox, for example). At least they're actually broadcasting stuff at least trying to show homosexuals in a good light, as opposed to the other broadcasters staying clear of all things LGBT.

Plus, they obviously don't just broadcast stuff about homosexuals - do you not like any of their other documentaries / programmes like Space Live, Educating Yorkshire (/Essex) etc., as well as bringing some of the US dramas over here (e.g. Homeland and Fargo airing this month).
Trainee & JMod July 2011-early 2012
Mod - summer 2012
Head of Hosts - December 2012 - July 2013
Steam

LaughingPickle78

I really dislike channel 4. So many documentaries about 'Cutting edge issues' - Dispatches on whatever the heck sounds as edgy as possible.

I'm more of a channel 5 guy, and Comedy Central for a good laugh. Channel 4 isn't all bad though, I do watch E4 occasionally as they do put out The Inbetweeners and My Name is Earl.

Also, isn't there already a TV show called Humans? Or am I mistaken?

Kyle_Boardman

Quote from: itsConnor_ on Apr 09, 2014, 10:17 AM
Quote from: Kyle_Boardman on Apr 08, 2014, 05:15 PM

Fair enough, although they have done other sorts of documentaries such as 'Cure me, I'm Gay', demonstrating the beliefs some people and cultures have towards the homosexuals as absurd. Although, I can certainly see your point (exemplified in Gogglebox, for example). At least they're actually broadcasting stuff at least trying to show homosexuals in a good light, as opposed to the other broadcasters staying clear of all things LGBT.

Plus, they obviously don't just broadcast stuff about homosexuals - do you not like any of their other documentaries / programmes like Space Live, Educating Yorkshire (/Essex) etc., as well as bringing some of the US dramas over here (e.g. Homeland and Fargo airing this month).
I don't typically enjoy Channel 4 documentaries, no. They present documentaries often on sensationalist issues for the sake of being sensationalist or to appeal to what they already know is public opinion. Educating Yorkshire and Essex were a great way of latching people onto the idea 'these people are stupid look at how stupid they are' as it is often pushed to the public that people from these areas are dim (Joey Essex). People expected to be, and to a large extent were, entertained by the idiocy displayed.